Railwells 2017

ullypug

• RMweb Premium

I don't think there's a topic on here yet, but it's only a week until one of the best finescale shows in the country.

Railwells

Saturday 12 August 2017 open 10:30 to 17:30

Sunday 14 August 2017 open 10:00 to 16:30

Admission Adults and Seniors £6.00
Child age 15 to 17 £4.00
Accompanied Children under 15 Free

Please look out for the Railwells Parking signs for free parking (although there's a car boot sale on the Palace field this year on Saturday and parking is £3 for the day).

Layouts

P4     Sidmouth    Richard Harper - BR Southern Region prototype terminus set in the summer of 1959/60

P4     Seaton         Simon Harris - The original station before it was extended for holiday makers

P4     Trerice        Iain Rice - Depicts Cornish china clay pan dries c1960

P4     Longcarse West     Simon Bendall - Sidings set at Alloa central Scotland in 1983

P4     Waterloo St          James Dickie - Inspired by the Waterloo goods branch in Aberdeen

Gauge1   St Petroc         John Green and Tony Massey - A compact terminus set in Cornwall in the 1940’s

Gn15 Scratchy Bottom Halt     Mike Walshaw - Rowland Emett inspired layout

Og     Happisburgh Goods        The Model Railway Club - BR ex-Great Eastern goods yard set in the 1950’s early 1960’s

EM    Hebble Vale          Karl Crowther - A cameo set in Halifax, mills, coal drops and a goods shed

Ng     Mill Lane TMD    Phil Smith - Another new micro layout from Phil, this time a 1980’s diesel depot

HOe   Maraizellerbahn    Pat Challis - Built 38 years ago by husband Chris and 2 friends, as Pat liked the HOe small and quaint locos and stock

3mm  Mendip       Doug Richards - Doug has exhibited a number of layouts in past years at Railwells, this is his latest

3mm  50 x 50 Shades of Grey   Nick Salsman - 50cm x 50cm scene in atmospheric shades of grey

2mm  St Ruth       Midlands Group, 2mm Scale Association - Based on Penzance Cornwall, running the September 1965 timetable

Ng     Vale of Oxbury     Carl Woodwards - A busy Western Region junction  set in the 1960’s

Demonstrators

Modelling in EM                                                Andrew Ullyott

How to solder                                                    Roger Sawyer

Track construction & working in S7                     The Scale 7 group

Modelling the Broad Gauge                                 Ashley Phillips

2mm Association Roadshow                                Paula Martin

Modelling in Scalefour                                       Mike Ainsworth

Kit and scratch built wagons                                John Chambers

Modelling in Plastikard                                       Geoff Kent

Modelling Gauge1                                              Simon Castins

Modelling in 3mm                                              Andrew Shillito

Etch loco construction                                        Chris Bastin

Traders

Rail-Books

L&B Sales

C&L Finescale, Carrs, Exactoscale

Scalefour Society Stores

Dragon Models

Minerva Model Railways

Eileens Emporium

Roxey Mouldings

Wizard Models (inc MSE, 51L & Comet Models)

Wild Swan Publications What’s New

Mousa Models by Bill Bedford

Dart Castings with Monty’s figures and MJT

East Somerset Models

Cooper Craft

Aspire Gifts & Models

David Geen and Malcolm Mitchell 4mm loco kits

Pat Banks refreshments

Branchlines

Wells Railway Fraternity Book Sales, in aid of The Railway Children Charity

Modelu, scanner will be in operation

Attwood Aggregates

• Like 6

Par

Going to be there on the Saturday, looking forward to it.

Re the parking, is it still free parking on the Saturday just in a different location to normal?

Parking will cost £3.00 on the Saturday in the field this year, as there is a car boot sale taking place as well.

Gordon A

• RMweb Premium

Planning to be there on Saturday. Where is this field mentioned in relation to the venue?

At the very end of Silver Street, on the south side of the Bishop's Palace

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to the weekend with Vale of Oxbury, operating team are on a promise that I will buy a round or 2 of local ales in the evening; any recommendations?

Some new stock to run, including a 128 Parcels DMU ; shapeways 3D print body on a Dapol 121 chassis.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Planning to be there on Saturday. Where is this field mentioned in relation to the venue?

Just the other side of the Bishops Palace. On google look directly south of the southernmost corner of the palace moat. It's about 100yds I guess. Walk up alongside the moat and left through the arch into the square and there's the venue :) Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

At the very end of Silver Street, on the south side of the Bishop's Palace

Usually signposted, but with rather small signs.

Planning to come on Saturday, looks like a cracker of a show as ever.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT

I'm hoping to be there tomorrow. Its a long time since I've been to Wells although I spent many weeks staying in The Red Lion just off the Cathedral Square during the late 80s on work related training courses.

Does anyone know where  motorcycle parking is located close to the exhibition location? Something that is often difficult to find in towns and cities you don,t know.

• RMweb Gold

Had a superb day at my first visit to this event. Lots of very high quality layouts and lots to spend money on.

Good to put some more faces to names and meet with old friends too.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get there today - this is the first exhibition I've been able to attend for quite a few months. 

As usual, a superb event, very well balanced between layouts and traders.  Spent far more than intended, as always is the case (isn't It), but well worth it! 

Had a good chat with Arthur and a brief hello with Graham ( on the LSWR stand).

Cheers, Aidan

I called on on my way home from holiday.  As always, it was a thoroughly worthwhile visit preceded by breakfast in the local 'Spoons.  As ever, I saw some inmates and missed others.   The Mayor was being shown round by Chris Challis and seemed to be impressed.

Chris

Another excellent show indeed! A great selection of layouts large and small, plus plenty of temptations with the trade too.

Here's my video from the event;

12th & 13th August 2017 saw the Wells Model Railway Fraternity host their annual Railwells Model Railway Exhibition. This years line-up featured no less than 15 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, plus excellent selection of Demo's and Trade Stands. 
Layouts at the event included;
Mariazellerbahn - H0e
Mendip - 3mm Scale
50 x 50 Shades of Grey - 3mm Scale
Sidmouth - P4
Seaton - P4
Scratchy Bottom Halt - Gn15
Vale of Oxbury - N Gauge
Waterloo Street - P4
Happisburgh Goods - 0 Gauge
Hebble Vale - EM
St Petroc - Gauge 1
Trerice - P4
St Ruth - 2mm Finescale
Mill Lane - N Gauge
Longcarse West - P4
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fzjeBHT7pc

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Myself and Ray had a great visit to the show today. We went today as a little quieter, plus I had only got back from holiday on Friday and didn't fancy another drive out on Saturday!

As usual a really good show, with a good selection of layouts to suit all tastes. A lot of other shows could learn a lot here!

Also, typical selection of traders. Had a brief chat with Alan from Modelu3D and tempted by some more figures. I like the way that the traders are moved around into different locations so each year is different.

Really enjoyed seeing Trerice being operated by Iain Rice as last time was at Warminster and not being operated.

• RMweb Premium

Really enjoyed seeing Trerice being operated by Iain Rice as last time was at Warminster and not being operated.

If you had come on Saturday you would have seen it operated by me!