Loch Anload

pitbull1845

Hi,

Well its been a year since my life took a turn I wasn't expecting, and as a result the modelling stopped and all my stock was sold off too.

I've been thinking about starting again for a while now, and I've finally pulled my finger out. For those that have looked at my layouts before you'll know I'm not very good at sticking to one idea. I'm hoping that things will be different this time. My modelling budget is a lot smaller now, so I need to keep things simple. 

The layout is going to be set in the late 80's early 90's and will be somewhere in Scotland. I don't know much about the area, but I like the idea of short trains hauled by 26's, 37's and 47's.

I have both of Ian Futers books about Modelling Scotland's railways, which I've found very useful, and of course the internet/YouTube. I'm not going to commit myself to a particular area or line, it will be a generic location which hopefully gives a feel for the area. Maybe when I do some more research I'll narrow down the location a bit..

Part one (10'x2')  will be a Single track line with an island station, passing loop and a couple of sidings. This will link into  Part 2, 3 and 4 which will be a small terminus and a larger one.

I'm going to concentrate on one part at a time initially, and I'll hopefully convince the usual suspects to pop down to mine and assit with some brain storming and woodwork!   Half of my garage has now been converted into a bar "The Jolly Lobsta" so I'm hoping that will help greatly in recruiting some help..

Not the most exciting opening  I know, but now that I've started the topic, it should give me the incentive to carry on with the layout.

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 8

Welcome back Scott, Hope you have thing sorted out now and have got your mojo back glad to see your planning a Scottish layout if you need any help with location let me know I might be able to help.

Bruce

Welcome back Scott, Hope you have thing sorted out now and have got your mojo back glad to see your planning a Scottish layout if you need any help with location let me know I might be able to help.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I think it could be an excuse to  travel up and take a few notes, I've never travelled on the train that far Nth..

Cracking idea Scott, Ian's books are a great inspiration, I used them for my Glen Roy and Glenfinick, and one of my favourite Layouts on the Exhibition circuit is Porthchullen.

I hope this works out well, mate, I will be watching with interest.

Thanks Bruce, I think it could be an excuse to  travel up and take a few notes, I've never travelled on the train that far Nth..

Scott, If you get good weather Scotland is beautiful especially the west coast if you do come im sure I could act as a guide for you.

Bruce

Firstly, thanks for the support and offers of help, its much appreciated.
I've attached a very basic plan of how the layout will be set up, its about 10' by 10' in size and the idea will be to have 3 separate scenic areas, the blue part (4) being a raised terminus station with FY below (part 2).   

So there will be a continuous loop but also separate operational areas for visitors, or me if I'm operating alone..  

I want to focus on less track and more scenery this time, it's something I've stayed away from on most of my layouts, but I'd like to give it a go. I have started laying track on part one and will post a picture at some point in the near future. I'll try and do a track plan for part one too..

Thanks for looking

post-6849-0-33677400-1502298498_thumb.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi mate only just caught up with this, I saw the name of it a couple of days ago but didn't see it was you! Good to hear things have settled a bit and your back in the saddle. Give me a shout. If you need any wood abusing into shape and you're welcome here anytime, won't be long until the shed will ship shape as well.

Hi Ian,  

Thanks for the offer, I've been watching the progress of the shed build, its coming on really well.

I'd love to pop up for a catch up, its just finding the time. When I'm not working I have the boys, so me time is just as limited as before, if not more!   

Meanwhile track laying has stopped at the Loch while I wait for a catch point to arrive, I'm using code 75 track this time, so I have no "spare" points/track in stock.. And If I didn't put a catch point in I know I'd be told of my error the minute I post a picture. :nono:  :beee:  

Edited by pitbull1845

• RMweb Gold

And If I didn't put a catch point in I know I'd be told of my error the minute I post a picture. :nono:  :beee:

Or design a layout that looks like it needs a trap when it doesn't actually require one and see if any of the 'trap point police' fall for it! :-)

Paul. (Secret member of the trap point police, guilty as charged!)

• Like 2

Or design a layout that looks like it needs a trap when it doesn't actually require one and see if any of the 'trap point police' fall for it! :-)

Paul. (Secret member of the trap point police, guilty as charged!)

Now you've got me wondering if I really do need one...  Maybe I just won't post any pictures. :laugh:

Hi,

Well the catch point arrived and has been fitted as have the 2 sidings. Nothing is wired up yet but that wont be an issue, the only thing ive done differently is make the points live, normally I dont bother but ive done the modifications and hopefully once wired to the seep point motor it should work?? We'll see..

In the meantime here are some pictures to give you a better idea as to what im doing.

Pretty self explanatory, island station with additional run round and a couple of sidings.. I should add that the line at the back isnt fixed in place yet and the concrete track wont be staying, just using as a tester..

post-6849-0-72476700-1502543051_thumb.jpgpost-6849-0-55750800-1502543071_thumb.jpgpost-6849-0-74933300-1502543099_thumb.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 5

Looks good so far Scott and if you use lower buildings it will have that Scottish feel, The platform surfaces are mostly loos chippings up the west highland line. Do a search for a layout called Glenfinnan it will help you station building wise and scenic wise too. 

Bruce

Edited by bruced2

Hi Scott,

Good to have you back on board mate. I have a fair few photos from when I went to Scotland as a kid circa 1986/87 though they are mostly either in the big locations like Queen Street, Perth or Inverness I can scan and email/post if you need.

I've also got  a mostly unused waterslide sheet of Highland Stags and Scottie dogs I purchased when I did 47593 a while back so let me know if you want any of these.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Bruce, I've been doing a fair bit of surfing on Flickr for ideas, I have a rough idea of what I'm going to do.  But as you know, that's likely to change!

Hi Stu, I must admit its nice to have a bit of a project to get on with. Thanks for the offer of images and transfers, I'm sure both will come in handy. Your layouts looking great by the way.. 

Thing I'm struggling with at the moment is time.. It's all about work and kids at the moment.. 

It's nice to see a trap point, but is it in the right place? The platform line is clearly a passenger line, but the loop wouldn't be, so the trap should be between the loop and the platform line, rather than between the sidings and the loop

Ah I see what you mean, good point (no pun intended) I'll look into it when I get chance to get out there.. Thanks..

Guest eddie reffin

Good to see another ScR layout developing. They really were the best of times when we could see so much variety throughout the region. Nice wide platform too!

Cheers

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

On the catch point if you move it to the loop you need one at both ends of the loop ;)

Really depends if the loop is used for berthing stock or just an avoiding loop.

Edited by PaulRhB

On the catch point if you move it to the loop you need one at both ends of the loop ;)

I've just literally moved it and relaid the track, I should be able to put one in at the other end without too much bother...  Thanks

Cheers Eddie, never visited in the day, sadly. But enjoying doing the research..

Guest eddie reffin

Cheers Eddie, never visited in the day, sadly. But enjoying doing the research..

Guess I am just lucky to have grown up in Oban and had a Granny who lives in Taynuilt. Oh for a time machine and a digital camera.

• Like 1

Hi Scott

Just been looking at the photo's you have loaded, and I can say Im really looking forwards to seeing the progress on the layout. Having done a few railtours on the far north, and West Highland recently (37 bashing!) , the scenery will make the layout !

Less is more as they say !

Kind regards

Simon