Portwey - WessexTrains OO

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I think this is the layout some of us are thinking of:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81305-portwey/

It was in the RM.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited to note that two of us posted within seconds of each other with the same info.

Edited by Alex TM

Thank you Ian. That layout you mentioned rings a faint bell, will have a search later

You mean like this, a section of an old Gaugemaster "village" one temporarily popped into place and hastily photographed

attachicon.gifWP_20171112_14_18_00_Pro.jpg

Problem I think will be finding something appropriate. I'm aware of the Gaugemaster and ID offerings but not convinced there's anything there. Think I need something urban rather than sylvan fields or misty mountains... :-)

Cheers

Stu

To be honest Stu that doesn't look bad at all.

Hi,

Crisis, thanks, just having one of my wobbly noments. Will gave to sleep on it. Another show now requested, a bit of a timeline building.

Ta Kev

As for the name did note where Julian was. My choice was a tad personal. Lived fo 20 odd years just down road from Portwey Hospital,now long gone. Was born there and my Mum nursed there for long time. Even got a paintibg of it done by one of her patients.

Anyhow going to nake the Wessex Trains bit obvious in layout name

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the comments gents :-) Apologies for not replying sooner but been on decorating duty and my workspace (!)  is full of displaced furniture and stuff.

As for the fiddleyard.......

post-82-0-43402300-1519314982_thumb.jpg

Please gloss over the quality of my woodwork which is the source of great humour in certain quarters. I am firmly in the "what's in the scrapbox"  when it comes to baseboards and even the track is largely recycled stuff.

The larger siding will comfortably take a 150 and at a push a 158 if I find a reasonably priced S/H  Wessex one. The loop will allow a couple of OBA sized wagons to be run round which will be fine for what I need.

Get the place tidied up and I can  get the scenic board back in and think hard about any changes along the back edge, hopefully next week.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A few "likes" have appeared since I last wrote so thanks for those.

Steve, as for developments what with the decorating ensuing clearout,  the snow and postponed stuff plus a couple of modellings distractions not much actually.

Which might be a good thing in the long run. Off to Ally Pally in a couple of weeks where I'll have a look at what backscenes are about plus a short shopping list of hopefully easily obtainable bits. It'll then be grandparent duty over Easter so anything happening is a few weeks away.

However after keeping up to date with the Realtrack 143/144 thread dug this out to see whether it's worth trying to revive

post-82-0-49134600-1520712822_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-47046400-1520712833_thumb.jpg

It's DC Kits resin and while the body is quite good the chassis is somewhat agricultural. Not sure how long ago I did it but if I were to re-do it or start afresh on a RealTrack 143 then I'd finish it a little differently using what I've learned from the 150/153.

Hopefully then an update in the not too distant future.

Stu

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Stu. Good luck at Ally Pally, I was thinking of going but I was there last year and I've had a couple of expensive months so I might give it a miss, could well change my mind though!

Is this the layout you'll be bringing to Shenfield later in the year? I'll look forward to seeing it. I like the way your layouts are not too era specific, I could imagine seeing a battered blue cravens 105 or a network south east class 121 and a blue class 31 just as well as more modern stock.

steve.

Edited by sb67

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the plug Dave :-)

Have spent some time knocking up some trestles of my own instead of borrowing them.

post-82-0-05429900-1526815101.jpg

Plus some minor improvements to the layout

post-82-0-95612300-1526815179_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to Wrecrail, something of a unique (!) event..... :-)

Stu

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

Rather busy week but to answer your question - yes and no :-)

Yes  in that it can now been seen in polite company without having to slap a Work in Progess notice on it.

There's an old adage of a layout never being finished and I'm sure I'll probably keep doing tweaks to it. Drewry "evolved" somewhat if you compare photo's during it's lifetime.

As Wrecrail, it's debut, has been brought up the list so far is Shenfield, Broadstairs, Derby, Faversham, Stafford plus two others in the pipeline.

Stu

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a surprise at DEMU@s Showcase. There, on DCKits a handful of RealTrack Class 143's that they must have found down the back of someones sofa. As I was having trouble even finding a secondhand one this was a RESULT :-)

An impressive bit of kit and interesting (!) to dismantle. Anyhow that's done. Have given the chassis a good run and DCC'd it plus made a start on the interior colours.

Need to get some custom decals sorted so won't be ready for Wrecrail but should be ready for Shenfield.

Stu

post-82-0-87329500-1528753114_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

Thank you and was good to have a talk at Wrecrail.

For a first outing it went well with almost no problems though even the leisurely pace with which things happen at that show indicated the fiddle yard  layout needs some tweaking. Will need to  attend to that before Shenfield in Sept.

In all it's glory(!) with celebrity operator Mr Wade at the controls.

post-82-0-26948100-1530434236.jpg

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and had a chat.

Stu

• Like 7