How to reduce the sparkle of Vallejo Metallic paint...

Hmmm... I've nicely weathered 6 wagons over the past few evenings... last fly past with the airbrush used a few spots of a darkish browny Vallejo rust into a mucky mix. After a few subtle layers and with the spotlights on, and having cleaned my glasses and realised it was all sparkling a bit. After some elimination work I noticed I'd accidentally used some Metallic Rust by mistake...

I've tried some mattcote and it's a bit less sparkly, but any other tips to reduce the sparkle? apart from turning the lights off that is.post-9148-0-34169600-1502405539_thumb.jpgpost-9148-0-26752800-1502405562_thumb.jpg

Edited by londonbus

Hmmm... I've nicely weathered 6 wagons over the past few evenings... last fly past with the airbrush used a few spots of a darkish browny Vallejo rust into a mucky mix. After a few subtle layers and with the spotlights on, and having cleaned my glasses and realised it was all sparkling a bit. After some elimination work I noticed I'd accidentally used some Metallic Rust by mistake...

I've tried some mattcote and it's a bit less sparkly, but any other tips to reduce the sparkle? apart from turning the lights off that is.attachicon.gifIMG_4339.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4340.JPG

A light dusting with the airbrush using Acrylic Matt Varnish should reduce the sparkle effect....................

Thanks... in the end I sprayed a light coating of bauxite (Railmatch acrylic) over the sparkling areas of the wooden sides, and a mixture of Tamiya flat black and a mid dark brown over the chassis. I lost some of the nice tones of the 3 layers of rust i'd built up. But at least it doesn't look as if Tinkerbell has been waving her magic wand any more. Plenty more experimenting , I've started to go through this part of the forum with great interest.

post-9148-0-42638200-1502513996_thumb.jpg

post-9148-0-01995200-1502514014_thumb.jpg