People might be interested to know that Bristol St Philips is the latest layout built by the Thornbury & South Glos MRC, in 00, and will be appearing at our show in Thornbury on 18/19 November - and, we hope, in the December issue of the Modeller.

Cheers

Rob

although it's not my scale I might just go to that.

no guarentee these are Midland barges

post-32434-0-75934500-1504276600.jpg

intresting river side scene

post-32434-0-29445600-1504276610.jpg

this has to be the feeder which runs on the north side of St Phillips Marsh

post-32434-0-63444000-1504276618_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

although it's not my scale I might just go to that.

no guarentee these are Midland barges

attachicon.gif1997-7397_DY_1022.jpg

intresting river side scene

attachicon.gif1997-7397_DY_1027.jpg

this has to be the feeder which runs on the north side of St Phillips Marsh

attachicon.gif9738573173_0029a018fd_b.jpg

Two of the barges most definitely are Midland, for starters I wish I knew what colour they were...Crimson Lake...?!

The conical tower was I believe a glass works.

A glass kiln in the background would be a nice way to set the scene in Bristol - and possibly a sign on the end of a building advertising the Atlas Engine Works or Avonside under their various ownerships.

Best wishes

Eric

Very good idea. So long as they were around in 1907...? I'm not familiar with them.

was that Bristol Blue or just normal glass ?. I think the photo shows the approx postn of Lycett's drum works ( in later years ) There was also a Gas works in the area.

Photo 2 shows the Midland side of the approach to Temple Meads. The water goes under the bridge and eventally reaches the Feeder canal.

This carries the over flow away from the floating harbour.

was that Bristol Blue or just normal glass ?. I think the photo shows the approx postn of Lycett's drum works ( in later years ) There was also a Gas works in the area.

Photo 2 shows the Midland side of the approach to Temple Meads. The water goes under the bridge and eventally reaches the Feeder canal.

This carries the over flow away from the floating harbour.

Powell and Ricketts did just normal glass as far as I know, I used to dig up lots of mostly broken beer and mineral water bottles with P&R B stamped on the bottom.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent bit of woodwork!:-). Really looking forward to seeing this layout develop! I hope the lighting pelmet mirrors the curve at the front of the baseboard, I've got a bit of a "thing" about bow fronted layouts :-)

Dave

Thought you might like this Richard.

Spotted this photo the other day of the above poster in it's natural habitat. You forget how colourful some things were when we're so used to looking at b&w all the time...!

post-31608-0-33078600-1504463395_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Lovely view Richard.

May well drop you a line regarding a long term 7mm addition to cameo land in due course......

Rob.

Excellent bit of woodwork!:-). Really looking forward to seeing this layout develop! I hope the lighting pelmet mirrors the curve at the front of the baseboard, I've got a bit of a "thing" about bow fronted layouts :-)

Dave

Most certainly will Dave...!

The baseboard is now complete, and I have taken the bold step of marking out the trackwork direct onto the surface and then adding 3mm mdf to raise the level of the track. The theory behind this is so that I allow myself some plus and minus differences in groundworks relative to rail datum. In real life ground levels go down as well as up quite a bit even in yards and so often I think this isn't possible if the track is the lowest point. We shall see if my theory stands up in practice...!
Sorry, still having trouble rotating pictures on this blasted iPhone!!

post-31608-0-27658800-1504902992_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-15032900-1504903020_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-10444700-1504903048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 13

Something by way of an update, baseboard finished, backscene built and painted with white emulsion for now, plus good progress made on ply and mdf mock-ups of the main structures, to check size and balance. My main area of concern is the middle back section which looks very bare and open at the moment. I need to think of a cunning way of hiding the edge...it all needs a bit of work until I'm happy with it, but that's all part of the fun of the process!

post-31608-0-41581300-1505320549_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Posted over on the Cameo thread that as I am on hols at the moment I have had time to ponder and plan. As a result I have come to the conclusion that the backscene is the wrong shape. I have sketched out what I think it should be and now can't wait to get home and crack on with it! Hopefully the Cameo book might have arrived from Titfield and then I expect I'll move onto Mark III...!

Believe it or not, this is going to be a barge (or 'lighter' as I understand they were called). It is made from lumps of cherry, with the loading well rough-cut out. The lumps stuck on top will be jig-sawn off and sanded to give a barge-like profile. It's probably well under-scale but needs to be I think so as not to dominate.

I must admit, doesn't look very inspiring at the moment...!

Also, took delivery of The Book yesterday. Generally reckon it's a good read, the requirements of the ideal Cameo Layout are quite strict though...!!

post-31608-0-72630000-1506430090_thumb.jpg

• Like 6