Shortest journey on National Rail

Used to be Phil, but now has a full service.

It's an attractive station in a country setting, unlike Upper Halliford (two stops down the line) which has continual traffic noise

from the adjacent M3.

What's the distance between Stourbridge Junction and Stourbridge Town?

Chris Knowles-Thomas

This must be a contender; the 36ch between Kempton Park (where I'm standing) and Sunbury (where the train is). The WTT gives

1 min for the run and it's £2.20 for an off-peak single.

attachicon.gifP1050811.JPG

How about Worcester Shrub Hill to Worcester Foregate Street?

Davey

• RMweb Gold

How about Worcester Shrub Hill to Worcester Foregate Street?

Davey

That's about 50 chains.

Lelant to Lelant saltings is a short one, 37 chains IIRC.

Manchester Deansgate to Manchester Oxford Road isn't far. Neither is going from Oxford Road to Piccadilly. 

Oxford Road to Deansgate is 28 chains, about half of Oxford Road to Piccadilly.

Guest Midland Mole

1 min for the run and it's £2.20 for an off-peak single.

And I thought my local bus was overpriced! :P

Alex

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Manchester Victoria to Exchange was one continuous platform, IIRC the longest in the UK.  Does that count?

As for stations visible from each other, meaning along the line not across the rooftops like King's X/St.Pacras, back to Cardiff's Coryton Branch, you can see Coryton from Ty Glas.  This view includes the site of Birchgrove station, now closed, Rhiwbina, and Whitchurch.  The overall distance is just over a mile.

This should of course be a new thread; what is the greatest number of stations that can be seen from each other along the line?

• Like 2

Manchester Victoria to Exchange was one continuous platform, IIRC the longest in the UK.  Does that count?

As for stations visible from each other, meaning along the line not across the rooftops like King's X/St.Pacras, back to Cardiff's Coryton Branch, you can see Coryton from Ty Glas.  This view includes the site of Birchgrove station, now closed, Rhiwbina, and Whitchurch.  The overall distance is just over a mile.

This should of course be a new thread; what is the greatest number of stations that can be seen from each other along the line?

Birchgrove is still open  - it's my local station! However it lost one platform as did Rhiwbina and Whitchurch when the line was singled.

Dave