Shortest journey on National Rail

• RMweb Gold

People often seem to discount the amount of walking you need to do between the tube train entrance and the platforms. In some places you seem to be walking miles and as Network rail's retail parks - oh sorry stations get bigger and bigger, with longer platforms, rail travel requires an increasing level of fitness and that's even without considering the railway companies' expectation that passengers should regard standing on trains as an acceptable mode of travel.

Kings Cross is a nightmare in the morning rush when they instigate a one-way system. Last time I used it, I entered at the old Kings Cross Met and must have walked for nearly ten minutes before coming back very close to where I started on the Victoria Line southbound platform.

Not national rail and not perhaps the shortest but I believe that the most common single fare (as opposed to oyster/travelcard/contactless etc) on London Underground, at £4.90, is Covent Garden to Leicester Square. Presumably brought by tourists who don't realise it's only a couple of hundred yards and far quicker (and probably shorter) to walk than get the tube

From my (official LU) database, Covent Garden to Leicester Square is 0.25km. (eastbound Piccadilly).

Also close, Embankment to Charing Cross is 0.27km (Bakerloo northbound).

Charing Cross to Embankment is 0.31km (southbound Northern).

Cannon Street to Mansion House is also 0.31km(westbound District). The eastbound direction is 0.32km.

Without looking too closely, there are around another 10 that fall into the "0.5km or less" category.

Interestingly, one or more are on the former East London line, which has now morphed into London Overerground. On that line, we now access it through NR procedures, though whether it is truly NR/mainline I am unclear.

Stewart

Kings Cross is a nightmare in the morning rush when they instigate a one-way system. Last time I used it, I entered at the old Kings Cross Met and must have walked for nearly ten minutes before coming back very close to where I started on the Victoria Line southbound platform.

There are ways around that!  :onthequiet: 

Stewart

People often seem to discount the amount of walking you need to do between the tube train entrance and the platforms. In some places you seem to be walking miles and as Network rail's retail parks - oh sorry stations get bigger and bigger, with longer platforms, rail travel requires an increasing level of fitness and that's even without considering the railway companies' expectation that passengers should regard standing on trains as an acceptable mode of travel.

​Working on the tube, I have been told that when Crossrail/Elizabeth Line opens, you will be able to purchase a travel ticket (£4.90?) which will give you access through the barrier at Tottenham Court Road. If you then descend to platform level, you will be able to walk the length of the platform and exit the barrier at the other end. You can then return to the surface....at Oxford Circus!

Bargain fare, and cheaper by Oyster......

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Not strictly on national rail, but aren't the first two stops on the Docklands light railway about five meters apart? The trains end one platform, cross a canal and then the next platform starts and its quite possible for people standing on two different train stations to have a conversation without shouting :)

Mornington Crescent!!!! :yes: :D

:blush: Sorry, wrong thread.... :jester:

Rule 455 subsection 3 (as updated) states that there can be no direct substitution for National Rail by Transport for London. So sorry,

but your challenge is disallowed.

I'd also have thought that not naming the station(s) concerned might also invalidate a challenge.

However, I can't be sure, as I've never seen the rules written down anywhere ... .

It's at the centre of the system, between Canary Wharf and West India Quay. This photo taken from the platform at WIQ shows that it's hardly more than a train's length. The distance to Heron Quays on the other side of Canary Wharf could be even shorter. 

attachicon.gifDLR 29 between Canary Wharf & West India Quay 14 10 2006.jpg

I'd wondered about Canary Wharf and either West India Quay or Herons Quay.

Meanwhile, I believe that some former "full size" railway stations might actually have been omitted when the DLR was built - albeit ones that had been forgotten about for a very long time, like Leman St., slightly east of Minories (aka Tower Gateway) on the one-time London & Blackwall Railway.

Huw.

It's at the centre of the system, between Canary Wharf and West India Quay. This photo taken from the platform at WIQ shows that it's hardly more than a train's length. The distance to Heron Quays on the other side of Canary Wharf could be even shorter. 

attachicon.gifDLR 29 between Canary Wharf & West India Quay 14 10 2006.jpg

Canary Wharf to West India Quay is 199m, Canary Wharf to Heron Quays is 280m

• RMweb Gold

Invershin to Culrain on the Highland Railway line from Inverness to Wick and Thurso is usually considered to be one of the shortest journeys on Network Rail.

It takes one minute and costs around £1-17.

By road the journey is 16 miles.

I'm not sure if locals still walk across the viaduct between the two stations.

David

• Like 1

I'd also have thought that not naming the station(s) concerned might also invalidate a challenge.

However, I can't be sure, as I've never seen the rules written down anywhere ... .

I'd wondered about Canary Wharf and either West India Quay or Herons Quay.

Meanwhile, I believe that some former "full size" railway stations might actually have been omitted when the DLR was built - albeit ones that had been forgotten about for a very long time, like Leman St., slightly east of Minories (aka Tower Gateway) on the one-time London & Blackwall Railway.

Huw.

I just remembered it from the Model rail DDV they shot there - I've never been here in my life, i've got no idea what the stations are called :)

Rule 455 subsection 3 (as updated) states that there can be no direct substitution for National Rail by Transport for London. So sorry,

but your challenge is disallowed.

Which version are you using and have you had a letter from Mrs Trellis from North Wales yet......... :scratchhead:  :locomotive:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Invershin to Culrain on the Highland Railway line from Inverness to Wick and Thurso is usually considered to be one of the shortest journeys on Network Rail.

It takes one minute and costs around £1-17.

By road the journey is 16 miles.

I'm not sure if locals still walk across the viaduct between the two stations.

David

they don't need to, there is a footbridge alongside it 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.9245191,-4.4004034,3a,50.8y,218.45h,93.8t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6IM5dW3c2-R0Qoc_LSVO_g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D6IM5dW3c2-R0Qoc_LSVO_g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D276.0289%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Andi

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

Canary Wharf to West India Quay is 199m, Canary Wharf to Heron Quays is 280m

It does start getting a bit silly when you get into LRT territory. In Manchester, Piccadilly Gardens to Market Street is about 170 metres between platform ends and just over 200 metres between stopping points

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

On London and close station spacing, if you're reasonably confident about where you are and how to get to where you want to go it can be quicker or not much longer to walk within the central zone than to take the tube. London is a great walking city, there are so many great walking routes and things you see when walking, it's cheaper and it gets you a little exercise. When I worked in Victoria I used to walk between Euston and Victoria twice a day (that did take longer than using the tube), the walk down to Covent Garden/seven dials, Trafalgar Square and down the Mall was a wonderful walk. I often have to go to the South Bank near Lambeth bridge and the walk was down Whitehall and past Parliament. Now my office is in the City and I walk between Euston and the area of the Gherkin twice a day, it takes about 50 minutes which is longer than using the Circle/Metropolitan line from Euston square but not really that much longer (about 50 minutes versus heading towards 30).

• Like 1

Indeed,

When I worked on the South Bank near Waterloo and living in Belsize Park, in the mornings I'd jump on a 68 at Chalk Farm (Routemasters in those days).

But in the evening I'd generally walk back and drop in at King's Cross to watch the Deltics.

Seems a long time ago now.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

City Thameslink to Blackfriars, allegedly 14 chains

Andi

And not only is it a short distance between the two, it's also a steep gradient.  Around 1 in 37 I believe.

319443 stationary on the incline.  It had 'sat down' between City Thameslink and Blackfriars and was about to work back north.

post-414-0-49839700-1502743922.jpg

• Like 1