Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Dolgellau Model Railway Layout Operating Days August Bank Holiday

Dolgellau Penmaenpool GWR BR OO

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wombatofludham

wombatofludham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationFairbourne, Gwynedd, Cymru

Posted 12 August 2017 - 22:31

Some of you will probably know that I have been involved with the former Liverpool Model Railway Club "Dolgellau and Penmaenpool" layout which the club sold to the Town Heritage Group (and the guys kindly erected for us!), and which is now on permanent exhibition in the historic listed Capel Ebeneser just off the main Eldon Square in Dolgellau.  We're a small group and open it up to the public on Easter and August bank holidays with trains running.  The presentation is aimed at the general visitor who perhaps didn't realise the town once had a well used station, and we have exhibition boards with old photos, maps and information to give more background.

​We had two trial openings last year and the project is still developing, but if any of you are in the Barmouth/Dolgellau/Tywyn/Fairbourne area over the Bank Holiday weekend we will be running trains on Saturday 26th between 10am and 5pm, Sunday between 12 and 4pm (so as not to disturb the Chapel service with train whistles!) and Monday 28th between 10 and 5pm.  No admission charge but we do invite donations which are split between the cost of keeping the layout going and making a donation to support the historic Chapel who kindly let us use their downstairs vestry to house the layout.

The layout, for those who didn't see it when the LMRC exhibited the layout on the circuit, is a near faithful recreation of Dolgellau station in 1960, together with Penmaenpool station and the George III hotel.  It is DCC and contains many accurately modelled buildings many of which still exist to some degree.  The station was famous for having two distinctly different buildings, the Cambrian Railway building (a standard Cambrian design with the distinctive "Fish" canopy still to be seen at surviving Cambrian stations on the Coast Line) and the later GWR building on the opposite platform, and until the grouping, the station had two station masters as well.  On our open days we tend to concentrate on running a variety of trains rather than indulge in shunting and we don't run to timetable as the idea is to entertain and inform the public, but as we get more used to the layout and build up our stock, we'll try to do more varied activities, such as a pick-up goods or shunting in Dolgellau yard.

Stock is mainly RTR, modified, although I've recently acquired a sweet little kit-built Cambrian Sharp Stewart 2-4-0 tank, DCC fitted, in GWR livery which will be making a debut this August.

For those of you without a wasp up your knickers about Facebook, there's a page with some video, photos, more info on the stock and times and dates for opening at https://www.facebook...forddDolgellau/

• Like x 3
  • Informative/Useful x 2

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 wombatofludham

wombatofludham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 23:03

Photos from our Easter operating days. For the GWR kettleistas amongst you the GWR 93xx Mogul was too heavy for the route in GWR days but has now been renumbered and repainted into it's late BR condition as 7341, after it had been rebuilt to remove some weights on the front of the loco, in which condition it most definitely did work the route!

See? I'm getting over my aversion to copper kettles and am in grave danger of becoming a GWR bore...

36483424876_01d211c30e_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36483425776_6109263aab_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36483430916_c326fe1941_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36483433936_59c4e0911a_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36483434666_d763ab6a6f_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr
  • Like x 4
  • Funny x 1

#3 wombatofludham

wombatofludham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 23:10

36483440826_d4718de7f3_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36361565052_6a841a5444_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36361566062_a15b28ffde_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

35720985093_09a3bdeda9_h.jpgDolgellau Model Railway by wombatofludham, on Flickr

35720987513_8d4a4791b5_h.jpgDolgellau Model Railway by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36361714752_453b344cc0_h.jpgDolgellau Model Railway by wombatofludham, on Flickr
  • Like x 7

#4 wombatofludham

wombatofludham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:54

Shoot the messenger...

The open days will be open until 4pm​ not 5!

The revised (correct) opening times are Saturday 26th 10am-4pm, Sunday 27th 12-4pm​ and Monday 28th ​10am-4pm

The layout is located in the basement vestry at the Ebeneser Chapel in Meyrick Street, Dolgellau.  There are some steps to negotiate to get down to the Vestry (about a dozen).  Meyrick Street in Dolgellau is just off the main Eldon Square in the town centre, at the top of the Square between JP and Sons hardware shop and the hairdressers, opposite Siop y Cymro newsagent.  The chapel is opposite the Royal Mail sorting office and the entrance to the vestry is at the side of the Chapel.

The Traws Cymru buses from Aberystwyth and Bangor (T2) and Wrexham and Barmouth (T3) stop in Eldon Square, and other buses from Machynlleth supplement the T2.  There is an infrequent service from Tywyn and Fairbourne (28).  Details on the Gwynedd Council website or Traveline Cymru.

Parking is in the main Marian car park at the other end of town which overlooks the route of the old railway.  If you are very lucky there is limited on street parking in the town square for up to one hour.  The Marian car park is about ten minutes steady stroll from the Chapel, five if you are fit, unlike me. 

• Informative/Useful x 1

#5 Thames 611

Thames 611

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 19 August 2017 - 22:17

Hey Mark,

Good to see you again the other day and I hope you got back home in good time.
As you know I'm not a big fan of mobile kettles, but, from the pics you have up of the new layout so far,
I like the detail and the look of the layout, I hope there will be more pics to come.
Looking forwards to seeing your next video and good luck with your open days.
Take care and will no doubte see you soon mate.

Dave.
  • Thanks x 1

#6 wombatofludham

wombatofludham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:41

Thanks Dave, I actually did the journey back to Wales in a record 5h 10mins non-stop, which works out at an average of just under 60mph.  You can't beat a Saab.

The Liverpool guys did a fabulous job modelling the two stations and it really jogs some memories when local people pop in.  I do keep threatening to bring along my Class 150 in Provincial blue and a Class 108 to show how the line could have looked had it survived.  I might just do that for a laugh.  I do intend to get a Dapol GWR railcar when released as they did occasionally do charters for the Ffestiniog Railway so could concievably have run along the route, and I know green DMUs did excursions along the line, so in the longer term some decidedly oily stuff will appear!

As for the video, I might be some time.  Simon has sent over nearly 80 clips so I suspect the next three videos will comprise clips from your running session!

• Like x 1

#7 Thames 611

Thames 611

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 20 August 2017 - 20:32

Hey mate,

That's not bad. (I'd of peed myself, and had tea withdrawal symptoms going that long without a break)
The layout does have a good sense of depth to it. Its not over the top with detail either. I'll have to try and get over to see it one day.
(I'll sneak in an obligatory class 47, just so happens I have BR blue 47148)
I'm sure the resulting video you create will be worth the wait, as they always are.
Speak soon mate.

Dave.

#8 ELTEL

ELTEL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationWherever the Motorhome takes me

Posted 26 August 2017 - 21:01

Hi To all involved

Just found this subject, great pity as I was in Dolgellau last weekend (dodging the road works)

Did manage a walk starting at the George 111

Unfortunately all Easter weekends in York and August BH weekends tends to at the Dorset Steam Fair

Any other showings for 2018

Eltel

#9 wombatofludham

wombatofludham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 21:17

Hi To all involved

Just found this subject, great pity as I was in Dolgellau last weekend (dodging the road works)

Did manage a walk starting at the George 111

Unfortunately all Easter weekends in York and August BH weekends tends to at the Dorset Steam Fair

Any other showings for 2018

Eltel

Not sure yet, definitely Easter and August again but we might be running on other days.  Actually we were in the Vestry last Saturday doing some minor repairs, shame we didn't know as if we're there we do sometimes do "private showings" if we know someone is interested although we can't always guarantee it.  If there are any additional dates I'll post them here.

One thing we might be doing is running a few drop in sessions to record people's memories of the real railway for posterity as part of an oral history project, when we might be having some trains running, and we do want to have some running sessions throughout the "out" season so we can familiarise ourselves with the layout, and try out some other activities to broaden our repertoire.  Again I'll let people know when these events are happening, Dolgellau is becoming an all-year destination for walkers and visitors just wanting a quiet weekend away so it might interest out of season visitors.   

#10 Focalplane

Focalplane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 16:03

I just stumbled on this topic as it was posted with similar keywords under my own topic on a Gauge O modular layout of Penmaenpool circa 1959.  This is in its infancy with a lot of research completed (but by no means all!) and a start made on the engine shed area.  Stock is slowly being assembled, much of it reflecting my schoolboy days in Oswestry in the late 1950s.

The loco roster so far includes a 14XX, a 57XX and an Ivatt 2MT, with plans for a Manor, 43XX and Collett Goods.  I am not really interested in the Standards that came along later.

The modules are being put together in southern France where I had hoped to find a suitable linear garden shed plus garden setting (with house) but this now seems unlikely, so the modules may well end up in the UK where I will still need to find a suitable home.

I very much hope to visit the Dolgellau Model one of these days and will keep an eye on this topic.

Thank you,

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dolgellau, Penmaenpool, GWR, BR, OO