Dolgellau Model Railway Layout Operating Days

wombatofludham

Some of you will probably know that I have been involved with the former Liverpool Model Railway Club "Dolgellau and Penmaenpool" layout which the club sold to the Town Heritage Group (and the guys kindly erected for us!), and which is now on permanent exhibition in the historic listed Capel Ebeneser just off the main Eldon Square in Dolgellau. We're a small group and open it up to the public on Easter and August bank holidays with trains running. The presentation is aimed at the general visitor who perhaps didn't realise the town once had a well used station, and we have exhibition boards with old photos, maps and information to give more background.

​We had two trial openings last year and the project is still developing, but if any of you are in the Barmouth/Dolgellau/Tywyn/Fairbourne area over the Bank Holiday weekend we will be running trains on Saturday 26th between 10am and 5pm, Sunday between 12 and 4pm (so as not to disturb the Chapel service with train whistles!) and Monday 28th between 10 and 5pm. No admission charge but we do invite donations which are split between the cost of keeping the layout going and making a donation to support the historic Chapel who kindly let us use their downstairs vestry to house the layout.

The layout, for those who didn't see it when the LMRC exhibited the layout on the circuit, is a near faithful recreation of Dolgellau station in 1960, together with Penmaenpool station and the George III hotel. It is DCC and contains many accurately modelled buildings many of which still exist to some degree. The station was famous for having two distinctly different buildings, the Cambrian Railway building (a standard Cambrian design with the distinctive "Fish" canopy still to be seen at surviving Cambrian stations on the Coast Line) and the later GWR building on the opposite platform, and until the grouping, the station had two station masters as well. On our open days we tend to concentrate on running a variety of trains rather than indulge in shunting and we don't run to timetable as the idea is to entertain and inform the public, but as we get more used to the layout and build up our stock, we'll try to do more varied activities, such as a pick-up goods or shunting in Dolgellau yard.

Stock is mainly RTR, modified, although I've recently acquired a sweet little kit-built Cambrian Sharp Stewart 2-4-0 tank, DCC fitted, in GWR livery which will be making a debut this August.

For those of you without a wasp up your knickers about Facebook, there's a page with some video, photos, more info on the stock and times and dates for opening at https://www.facebook.com/RheilfforddDolgellau/

• Like 3

Photos from our Easter operating days. For the GWR kettleistas amongst you the GWR 93xx Mogul was too heavy for the route in GWR days but has now been renumbered and repainted into it's late BR condition as 7341, after it had been rebuilt to remove some weights on the front of the loco, in which condition it most definitely did work the route!

See? I'm getting over my aversion to copper kettles and am in grave danger of becoming a GWR bore...

36483424876_01d211c30e_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36483425776_6109263aab_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36483430916_c326fe1941_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36483433936_59c4e0911a_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

36483434666_d763ab6a6f_b.jpgDolgellau Model Railway Photos by John Lewis by wombatofludham, on Flickr

• Like 5

Shoot the messenger...

The open days will be open until 4pm​ not 5!

The revised (correct) opening times are Saturday 26th 10am-4pm, Sunday 27th 12-4pm​ and Monday 28th ​10am-4pm

The layout is located in the basement vestry at the Ebeneser Chapel in Meyrick Street, Dolgellau.  There are some steps to negotiate to get down to the Vestry (about a dozen).  Meyrick Street in Dolgellau is just off the main Eldon Square in the town centre, at the top of the Square between JP and Sons hardware shop and the hairdressers, opposite Siop y Cymro newsagent.  The chapel is opposite the Royal Mail sorting office and the entrance to the vestry is at the side of the Chapel.

The Traws Cymru buses from Aberystwyth and Bangor (T2) and Wrexham and Barmouth (T3) stop in Eldon Square, and other buses from Machynlleth supplement the T2.  There is an infrequent service from Tywyn and Fairbourne (28).  Details on the Gwynedd Council website or Traveline Cymru.

Parking is in the main Marian car park at the other end of town which overlooks the route of the old railway.  If you are very lucky there is limited on street parking in the town square for up to one hour.  The Marian car park is about ten minutes steady stroll from the Chapel, five if you are fit, unlike me. 

Hey Mark,

Good to see you again the other day and I hope you got back home in good time.

As you know I'm not a big fan of mobile kettles, but, from the pics you have up of the new layout so far,

I like the detail and the look of the layout, I hope there will be more pics to come.

Looking forwards to seeing your next video and good luck with your open days.

Take care and will no doubte see you soon mate.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I actually did the journey back to Wales in a record 5h 10mins non-stop, which works out at an average of just under 60mph.  You can't beat a Saab.

The Liverpool guys did a fabulous job modelling the two stations and it really jogs some memories when local people pop in.  I do keep threatening to bring along my Class 150 in Provincial blue and a Class 108 to show how the line could have looked had it survived.  I might just do that for a laugh.  I do intend to get a Dapol GWR railcar when released as they did occasionally do charters for the Ffestiniog Railway so could concievably have run along the route, and I know green DMUs did excursions along the line, so in the longer term some decidedly oily stuff will appear!

As for the video, I might be some time.  Simon has sent over nearly 80 clips so I suspect the next three videos will comprise clips from your running session!

• Like 1

Hey mate,

That's not bad. (I'd of peed myself, and had tea withdrawal symptoms going that long without a break)

The layout does have a good sense of depth to it. Its not over the top with detail either. I'll have to try and get over to see it one day.

(I'll sneak in an obligatory class 47, just so happens I have BR blue 47148)

I'm sure the resulting video you create will be worth the wait, as they always are.

Speak soon mate.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Hi To all involved

Just found this subject, great pity as I was in Dolgellau last weekend (dodging the road works)

Did manage a walk starting at the George 111

Unfortunately all Easter weekends in York and August BH weekends tends to at the Dorset Steam Fair

Any other showings for 2018

Eltel

Hi To all involved

Just found this subject, great pity as I was in Dolgellau last weekend (dodging the road works)

Did manage a walk starting at the George 111

Unfortunately all Easter weekends in York and August BH weekends tends to at the Dorset Steam Fair

Any other showings for 2018

Eltel

Not sure yet, definitely Easter and August again but we might be running on other days.  Actually we were in the Vestry last Saturday doing some minor repairs, shame we didn't know as if we're there we do sometimes do "private showings" if we know someone is interested although we can't always guarantee it.  If there are any additional dates I'll post them here.

One thing we might be doing is running a few drop in sessions to record people's memories of the real railway for posterity as part of an oral history project, when we might be having some trains running, and we do want to have some running sessions throughout the "out" season so we can familiarise ourselves with the layout, and try out some other activities to broaden our repertoire.  Again I'll let people know when these events are happening, Dolgellau is becoming an all-year destination for walkers and visitors just wanting a quiet weekend away so it might interest out of season visitors.   

I just stumbled on this topic as it was posted with similar keywords under my own topic on a Gauge O modular layout of Penmaenpool circa 1959.  This is in its infancy with a lot of research completed (but by no means all!) and a start made on the engine shed area.  Stock is slowly being assembled, much of it reflecting my schoolboy days in Oswestry in the late 1950s.

The loco roster so far includes a 14XX, a 57XX and an Ivatt 2MT, with plans for a Manor, 43XX and Collett Goods.  I am not really interested in the Standards that came along later.

The modules are being put together in southern France where I had hoped to find a suitable linear garden shed plus garden setting (with house) but this now seems unlikely, so the modules may well end up in the UK where I will still need to find a suitable home.

I very much hope to visit the Dolgellau Model one of these days and will keep an eye on this topic.

Thank you,

Paul

• 4 months later...

Thanks to Andy for editing the title of this thread to make it a more general information portal for the layout!

We're now in the process of setting up a club based on the layout. The idea is we will act partly as additional technical support, making repairs and keeping it in good condition for the main public open days, but also get to operate the layout in a more prototypical fashion than is possible on public days when people just want to see trains moving, and possibly working out new display routines for the public shows. Hopefully the club will also be able to work on rolling stock, detailing, weathering and renumbering for example. If anyone within driving distance of Dolgellau is interested in coming to our monthly get togethers message me for details.

Our next public session is likely to be over the Easter weekend but we are trying to come to some agreement over precise opening times so as to avoid what will be an important weekend for the Chapel services, I'll put up the finalised times closer to the date. We are also thinking of opening up on non Bank Holiday weekends in the Summer as the August Bank Holiday does tend to co-incide with other shows in the area and a lot of visitors are off in other locations having events. Again we will fix the timetable in the next month or so.

I just stumbled on this topic as it was posted with similar keywords under my own topic on a Gauge O modular layout of Penmaenpool circa 1959.  This is in its infancy with a lot of research completed (but by no means all!) and a start made on the engine shed area.  Stock is slowly being assembled, much of it reflecting my schoolboy days in Oswestry in the late 1950s.

The loco roster so far includes a 14XX, a 57XX and an Ivatt 2MT, with plans for a Manor, 43XX and Collett Goods.  I am not really interested in the Standards that came along later.

The modules are being put together in southern France where I had hoped to find a suitable linear garden shed plus garden setting (with house) but this now seems unlikely, so the modules may well end up in the UK where I will still need to find a suitable home.

I very much hope to visit the Dolgellau Model one of these days and will keep an eye on this topic.

Thank you,

Paul

The late Mike Cook of York show fame wrote an article or two in BRM. late nineties if I recall 

• 2 months later...

Bydd y rheilffordd yn agor dros y wyliau Pasg.

Dydd Wener (Y Groglith): 12.00-16.00

Dydd Sadwrn 31 Mawrth: 10.00-16.00

Dydd Sul (Sul y Pasg): 12.00-16.00

Mynediad am ddim, rhoddion yn ddiolchgar.

The railway will be open over the Easter holiday:

Friday (Good Friday) 12.00 - 16.00

Saturday 31 March 10.00 - 16.00

Easter Sunday 12.00 - 16.00

Free admission, donations gratefully received.

• 2 months later...

Ymddiheuraf am y nodyn hwyr, ond bydd y diwrnodau gweithredu nesaf Dydd Sadwrn 23ed Mehefin 10-4, a Dydd Sul, 12-4. Dewch chi mewn y Capel Ebeneser, Dolgellau I weld y rheilffordd model o Dolgellau, wedi cael ei hadeiladwyd gan y Clwb Rheilfordd Model Lerpwl. Mynediad am ddim, rhoddion yn dderbyniol

Apologies for the late notice but the next operating days are Saturday 23rd June, 10-4, and Sunday 24th June, 12-4. Come to the Ebeneser Chapel in Dolgellau to see the Dolgellau Model Railway, which was built by the Liverpool Model Railway Club. Free entry but donations gratefully received.

PS we need some new point motors and want to increase our GWR stock so give generously...

• 4 weeks later...

Bydd y diwrnodau gweithredu nesaf Dydd Sadwrn 21af Gorffenhaf 10-4, a Dydd Sul 22ain Gorffenhaf, 12-4. Dewch chi mewn y Capel Ebeneser, Dolgellau I weld y rheilffordd model o Dolgellau, wedi cael ei hadeiladwyd gan y Clwb Rheilfordd Model Lerpwl. Mynediad am ddim, rhoddion yn dderbyniol

The next operating days are Saturday 21st July, 10-4, and Sunday 22nd July, 12-4. Come to the Ebeneser Chapel in Dolgellau to see the Dolgellau Model Railway, which was built by the Liverpool Model Railway Club. Free entry but donations gratefully received.

Edited by wombatofludham

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Diolch I pob ymwelwyr sy'n wedi dod dros y penwythnos olaf y tymor 2019. Byddan ni'n gweithio dros y geaf I atgyweirio pethau cyn y ddechrauf y tymor newydd dros y wyliau Pasg 2020!

Thanks to all the visitors who came across the weelend, the last of the 2019 season.  We will be working across the winter to repair a few things and we will be re-opening for 2020 across the Easter holiday.

One thing we are hoping to do over the winter is get some grant money to acquire (and chip) a wonderful collection of kit built and modified RTR covering a number of earlier GWR classes including an Aberdare (which were approved to cross Barmouth Bridge in the 1920s), a Bulldog and some less common Panniers, from a private collection.  If we can get the money this will enable us to turn the clock back to the 1930s and demonstrate what a different railway it was just thirty years before closure, with four wheel coaches still in service, clerestory stock and some superannuated locos to haul them.  if successful, I'll be posting photos here.

PS: Apologies if anyone was offended today by the five car Virgin Voyager and the Realtrack Provincial Class 156, plus other modern stuff appearing.  We have a very enthusiastic 12 year old member of our group and we do allow him to give his modern stuff a run when it's quiet (we do try to keep it kettle-shaped when visitors are in), so we did have a rather eclectic mix of a Class 70 on an intermodal, Class 68 on a nuclear flask plus the five car Super Voyager (mine) and the 156 (also mine) in amongst the Manor, Mogul, Dukedog and Standard 4s!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

We're going to be checking the layout this Tuesday for decay/damage after it's enforced nearly 2 year closure.  We probably will be looking to open again next year, assuming the world doesn't go bang in the meantime.  We'll know more after Tuesday and once we've had a think about how to handle the post-pandemic rules that might apply.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

We're back!

This Saturday we will be open again, but with a difference.

Rather than just feature the stock we have in the past, we've decided to invoke Rule 1 and have a  June Mixed Traction Gala, Featuring "The Days Of Steam" Prototypical Steam era running and "How It Could Have Been" 1960s dieselisation to Present day running.

The day timetable is as follows:

10:00-11:00 Transition Era

11:00-12:00 Steam Era

12:00-13:00 1990 - 2000/Sectorisation moving into Privatisation

13:00-15:00 Steam Era

15:00-16:00 2000s - Present

16:00-17:00 Mix'n'match (A bit of everything)

As usual it will be held in the Ebenezer Methodist Church Vestry, Meyrick Street, Dolgellau, LL40 1LN.

Entry is free (Donations welcome).

Unfortunately, we cannot offer step free access as there is a small set of steps down into the vestry, but there will be help available if you find steps a challenge.  The Capel is a historic building.

Everyone is welcome and we hope to see you there.

image.png.d94eeaa25dce3a337d45bef12836bebd.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, all good things come to an end.

Sadly, the Dolgellau layout is being dismantled over the next few days ready for storage in my garage!  Changes in the Chapel activities post pandemic mean they need the space back in their vestry and have, with some regret, asked us to move out, having been very hospitable hosts and very happy to host the public who came to see the layout.  So the layout is now looking for its third home.  There has been some interest in hosting the layout from the Bala Lake Railway but of course they have a big problem at the moment trying to secure planning permission for their town centre extension, so in the meantime my new home with integral garage will house the layout until we can find a new home for it. Having done some measuring the garage is 16ft x 9ft, half the length of the layout so it will be stored in the packing cases the LMRC used to transport it around the show network, which co-incidently should leave me a nice 6ft x 16ft space for the new "Wednesford" layout which will rise, Phoenix like, from the previous shed based layout.

I started dismantling today with the help of a couple of friends so by the end of Wednesday it should be packed and ready for removal on Friday.

Despite me being not a fan of the GWR it has been a fun few years.  This past year we've been running mixed shows, with steam and also "what if" diesel sets from both the blue era, sectorisation and even Arriva Wales sessions.  Surprisingly, the number of people who commented favourably on the blue era running, despite being entirely fictional although closely bases on typical Cambrian traffic of the time, was notable, probably because they were of the age group who remember the fight to keep the Cambrian open in the 70s and probably rode the trains.  Which does rather suggest that those model companies who are releasing more diesel models than steam might have detected a similar shift in new modellers favouring the same.  I expected some blowback for running diesels instead of steam, but the opposite was the case.

Sadly though I never got to run my small Irish collection on the line to recreate the fictional "Ballyshannon" route I worked on for MSTS1 back at the turn of the century!  I blame Accurascale for not doing an 80 class yet.  

So, it's "Hwyl Fawr tan y tro nesa, ble bynnag byddwn ni yn y dyfodol"

• Friendly/supportive 5