“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

OK, this is my current thinking.

In 1983 we took, what seemed at the time, an epic journey to the highland capital of Inverness. We stopped in the station hotel allowing easy viewing of the station and its activities. At the time the main motive power was a combination of Sulzer class 26s, 27s and 47s. I'm not noted for keeping records of anything but for some reason on this trip I'd bought a spotting book and duly noted the loco's I'd seen.

I have images indelibly marked in my mind from this trip, I was only twelve at the time.

I've looked at modelling this subject before, indeed I started a thread with the same name previously, to have been built in Scale 7. These plans were far to ambitious as I was trying to model all elements of the shed which resulted in a huge size, the reality of the cost of 'O' gauge also became apparent, particularly for the amount of loco's I would have required. Highland Sulzers - S7 was dead.

More recently I've been reviewing what I want out of the hobby, which certainly from an exhibition point of view, means convenience and speed of erection and dismantling - I needed to get away from larger projects, something I previously seamed to default to. All though 'Diesels in the Duchy' isn't a large layout, on your own it can take a good while to assemble. If I'm going to keep attending shows it needs to work for me with my unnecessarily hectic lifestyle.

Drawing inspiration from Mark Forests P4 layout 'Fryers Lane' I now plan to build a small and much more manageable layout, sized around 5 feet long and around 20 inches wide for the scenic element. It will be a representation of the fuel and stores roads of Inverness TMD. The main Lochgorm Works building will form the backdrop set at an angle with its associated out buildings. The unique fuelling canopies will be included, hopefully placing the location, along with all the associated oil, fuel and antifreeze storage tanks.

Oh, and it'll be my first foray in to P4.

Watch this space...

• Like 10

I have to say, Porthchullin always gets me hooked when I see it at a Show, with the Sulzer 26 and 27, and that's why I built Glen Roy for the Exhibitions, Will you be just sticking to the Blue period Damian?

It certainly sounds another interesting project.

Edited by Andrew P

I have to say, Porthchullin always gets me hooked when I see it at a Show, with the Sulzer 26 and 27, and that's why I built Glen Roy for the Exhibitions, Will you be just sticking to the Blue period Damian?

It certainly sounds another interesting project.

I'll be sticking to the blue period of the early eighties, DitD covers the other period that interests me - sectorisation, I don't see any need for overlap.

• Like 2

Here's a drawing of the area I'm looking to model.

post-8734-0-06603100-1502619619_thumb.png

The angle of the main shed will have to be brought around clockwise, the idea is that the shed will stretch the whole length of the layout to form the back drop. This will result in compression of the central area, I'll have to remove some of the tanks etc, perhaps half of them so still maintain the look.

• Like 5

Mark F has very kindly superimposed a possible track formation on top of the drawing of the real thing.

post-8734-0-67080700-1502623863_thumb.jpg

The track formation looks like it will work, note the board the plan is sat on is only 4 feet by 20 inches, I'll be looking at another foot on the length here added to the right hand side. The track probably needs to shuffle to the right a little so the point work is well clear of the board end.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you've had a really good think about what you want to do but also what you have the time to do.

I'm sure choosing a project that all the parts are readily available (with a heap of conversation effort) and that can be put up and used in the house between shows is just what you need right now.

Funny how when we all started it was big layouts we all wanted. I'd loved to have done Tavistock, Okehampton, Padstow or the west end of Exeter Central as a follow-on to Treneglos but I'm now very glad we didn't. Work and domestic commitments don't half make building and exhibiting a large layout difficult these days.

Good luck with this one.

24 102 stores road

5125, 5345

Stores road back view, 26s

Stores road 5118

25068, fuel road

26038, plus class 20

26108, plus 2 class 20s

Three 26s

Plenty of inspiration, however a little detective work is required as there are no clear overall views of the side of the large shed and its annex buildings, particularly in the stores area.

Nobody takes pictures of buildings, just locos!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a great idea D!

There is a lot to be said for a small layout, of which progress to get something running can be fairly quick. Added to the comments already made about ease of transport / setting up / dismantling.

I'm assuming that you will be sound fitting the locos and the SLW 24 is simply superb and can be ordered as P4 fitted, so at least saves one conversion! Of course, the cost is relatively high. Added to that a few Heljan 26 / 27 to get started.

Looks like a great idea D!

There is a lot to be said for a small layout, of which progress to get something running can be fairly quick. Added to the comments already made about ease of transport / setting up / dismantling.

I'm assuming that you will be sound fitting the locos and the SLW 24 is simply superb and can be ordered as P4 fitted, so at least saves one conversion! Of course, the cost is relatively high. Added to that a few Heljan 26 / 27 to get started.

Yes, we'll go sound fitted, but at least this way it will be a lot cheaper than my earlier scale 7 idea...

• Like 1

Peter,

Nice picture, where was it taken?

I think north of the area you are modelling but still in the Triangle of tracks.Could be the carriage sidings area. 

Cheers Peter.

I think north of the area you are modelling but still in the Triangle of tracks.Could be the carriage sidings area.

Cheers Peter.

It is round the back of the carriage maintenance shed - built in the 1980's - where employees could park their cars on the gravel along the entire length of the building. IIRC access was via Rose Street level crossing (at the end of the Far North platforms and just to the north of the triangle). Edited by forest2807

This shows what I mean, even though it is a contemporary map. The long thin building to the north of the station avoiding line is the carriage depot. Immediately to the north of it is the sidings where the photo of 37114 was taken. I have some shots taken from an identical position.

post-7084-0-32381500-1502705639.png

Edited by forest2807
  • Like 1