So first of all, lets talk locos. My current narrow gauge loco was scratchbuilt by myself from a £12 Kato chassis and some scrap 1mm plasticard. This is all held together by poly cement and super glue. Total costs for this loco is £13.50 . It was painted in humbrol no2 with a grey roof and red buffer beam. The engine grills are painted in just normal black acrylic. Here is a picture of the loco. If anyone has any questions I will be more than happy to answer them.post-32204-0-44089400-1502653320_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

So this post is all about my rolling stock (except locos) and currently I only have one wagon and no coaches. This wagon was scratch built for £5 (including chassis, couplings and wheels). The sides were built out of will pasti card wood sheet. post-32204-0-87141500-1502959255_thumb.jpg The wagon is of a very basic freelance design and in the future I would like to scratch build a short set of coaches, a flat bed car and a break van to complete the very short freight rake. Du to the size of the layout, I don't want to have to long trains otherwise they will dwarf the scenery. Again if you have any questions or comments I am happy to receive them and answer any questions. : )

• Like 1

post-32204-0-66841000-1503070811_thumb.jpg

So update guys. I visited my local DIY store yesterday and saw that they had some scrap (but not in bad condition) pallets that they were going to burn. I asked if I could take one and the said yes. So now I have the base of the baseboard for free. I will top it with some wood from a skip hopefully but if not mdf isn't that badly priced.

• Like 2

Looks good. A nice easy transition into etched brass loco kits.

Yes a very simple set of etches that slide on to the Kato chassis, once I get my railway room and unpack my stuff I will go through my bits boxes to add some cosmetic detail. My own plan is for a small overhead electric line so looking for locos that will look the part with pantographs on the roofs

Very nice. : ) I've always liked the idea of modelling electric narrow gauge but I don't think it would look right on my planned layout. Building the catenary system must be tricky!

I bought some N gauge Sommerfeld masts (at a competitive price) which to my eyes look about right except for their height, I plan to build concrete blocks from plastic square section tube to raise them. 00 scale is far to tall and big, TT scale is probably right but the cost of buying new for a bit of fun is prohibitive

post-1131-0-55015800-1503307917.jpg

This is the loco I referred to earlier, minus roof

post-1131-0-75859500-1503307897.jpg

Mock up of system

post-1131-0-85368600-1503307944.jpg

Tram with roof

post-1131-0-67161600-1503307956.jpg

Another view of proposed idea

I have bought quite a lot of H0 Continental buildings, also bought a Bemo H0m loco so the buildings will go on a larger model with dual gauge, a small layout based on the 3 bridges idea will be a starter with minimal scenery. I have used a Kato N gauge pantograph on the tram loco, waiting for a bit of bling to be added once I can get to the spares box, then a paint

• Like 1

Ahhhhh. Ok I see now. Looks good. That brass kit looks great!

These kits are super value, as I said I was looking for locos I could convert into overhead electric. I will pit some lights and cables on the front, after painting and glazing I will fit partitions.

Details can be what you want, made from scrap tube and wire, metal or plastic, or you can leave them plain

The pantographs are very cheap off eBay  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kato-n-scale-11-404-DC-Pantograph-PS16A-2pcs-n-Gauge/191948641212?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

hardly breaking the bank

Here is another style of loco from the same company

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/009-Kit-78-Freelance-Diesel-Locomotive-for-the-kato-11-1903-Chassis-/142477871866?hash=item212c57cafa:g:6aAAAOSwXcRZbLjL

These are the pantographs

post-1131-0-77555600-1503334754.jpg

Single masts

post-1131-0-28355900-1503334770.jpg

Gantry for double track

Wow! Very cheap, I had a look at some n gauge pantographs (long story) like those but still from Kato from peters spares but the charge you £6 for the product then another £4 postage so I would be spending 1/10 of my complete budget just on pantographs. Those however are half the price including postage! Brilliant value and as you say barely breaking the bank. On the topic of details, I made diesel exhaust pipes out of scrap insulated wire coating.

• Like 1

I think we are now spoiled for choice, I can remember reading 1960's Railway Modeller/Constructor/News mags which were full of articles of making items from scrap materials, Bic biros were often used, beads, cardboard, old tins etc. Modellers used their imagination to recreate models.

I can remember coaches had one livery on one side and another on the other. 

Hahaha. That would be funny and confusing at the same time especially if it was in the real full size railway world. I planned to build a cement yard layout and I began to scratch build all the buildings. I built the large silos out of empty hot chocolate tins then wrapped them in paper before painting them grey. post-32204-0-64556100-1503343924.jpg

Unfortunately I never got round to building the rest of the layout due to a change in interest (though I strongly regret it now) but all the structures were scrapped by myself to clear space for my current oo gauge layout.

Wow! I remember seeing that layout at the goathland show. If you make an rmweb thread about your build I would love to follow it. That is also what id like to build but I am unsure wether to build a fiddle yard for the potential of taking the layout to an exhibition (a life time goal I've not yet achieved). I will probably increase the baseboard size as you say and also change scenic breaks as I would like to experiment with building a railway cutting and bridge.

Wow! I remember seeing that layout at the goathland show. If you make an rmweb thread about your build I would love to follow it. That is also what id like to build but I am unsure wether to build a fiddle yard for the potential of taking the layout to an exhibition (a life time goal I've not yet achieved). I will probably increase the baseboard size as you say and also change scenic breaks as I would like to experiment with building a railway cutting and bridge.

Luke

Lots of different things that you can do with this type of layout. I like the idea of being able to fold it up and walk away. My plan is to just have a simple small layout to operate which is quick to build. As for scenery a town setting is fine for narrow gauge winding itself along roads or between buildings, by equally could be a country side layout