Two identically shaped baseboards, inside the track circle add risers, for instance 3" (above the base boards) then join with 2 hinges on top. When folded over will give a 6" gap between the boards, the scenic section in one half must be kept below this height

I guess on on the non scenic board the more ingenious could make a fold back extension to the scenery

Edited by hayfield

Luke

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112167-four-arches-halt/page-1

Go to post 10, look at the last photo, then look at the other 4 or 5 photos. Many ways of building the boards to achieve the desired results, plus a piano hinge could be used rather than 2 or more but hinges, a great idea for modern sized houses, nothing to stop you from doing the same in larger gauges 

Thinking about laying some track soon and I was wondering if 12/13/14 inch diameter curves would be alright. I don't intend to run any locos with more than 6 coupled wheels. Would that radius be alright if not which radius would I need to change to?

Luke

After a visit to the Ffestiniog I contacted them about the size details of the turnouts on the new section, they replied and included a drawing, admittedly neither of us will be running large Garretts, but even at half the size it would look wrong on a small 009 layout. You are correct at thinking about both the practicalities and visual appearance.  As far as I am concerned the questions are does it work and does it look right

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm glad that the radius curve is large enough for 6 coupled wheels as I have just bought a minitrix chassis for £14.60 (of eBay) to scratch/kit bash a body on to. I am very excited about this and I will update you with any more progress/purchases. This brings the total layout costs up to £41.50 . I will allow half of £100 budget to stock and the other half to baseboards, scenery and electrics etc. So here is a more broken down display of my expenses:

Rolling stock:

•Mimitrix chassis £14.60

•diesel loco £13.50

•wagon £5

Total £33.10

Left £16.90

Baseboards and electrics:

•track £7.20

•fish plates £1.20

Total £8.40

Left £41.60

So the grand total is £41.50 with £58.50 left to spend on the project. Hope this is helpful/interesting to those following my £100 challenge.

• Like 3

I plan to do so. I have never ever had a round round layout so this will be something new for me to operate (for a while) before I build a branch line off it with a small junction or something like that. I've done some research into pug bashing a Dapol kit and the minitrix chassis but I haven't found any dimensions or specific instructions. If you have had any experience kit bashing a pug I would really appreciate it if you posted a picture of your model and gave some basic dimensions (height, width and length) . Thanks :)

One of the appeals to me in marrow gauge modelling is that there are no hard and fast rules, I am new to 009 and only really collecting a small amount of stock for a fun layout. In general terms with 009 items are up scaled from N gauge, likewise 00 gauge to 0 16.5. I was lucky enough to buy a Beamo H0m loco, these are quite large items when put alongside 009 locos (being much nearer to standard gauge) and run on 12 mm gauge rather than 9 mm gauge

Down scaling from 00 gauge might be more in keeping with 3' gauge than 2' gauge running on TT gauge track, just an idea

Just pushed the boat out for a collection of about 40 wagons,vans and coaches. Sadly my new railway room is still cut in half (need a wall taking down) and in need of plastering. So starting the layout is still a couple of months away, though I might make a start on the boards in a couple of weeks.

Trying to visualise if I can have an elevated section on a separate loop or more likely an industrial branch line, keeping the fold together format along with a scenic section in the rear half , which folds back on itself for transportation. Could be over complicating things

I think the whole idea is that it quickly folds up and I guess the trick is to keep everything as light as possible. On the other hand I am considering making each board 18" wide and a bit longer than the original. The trouble then is that each addition increases the weight, so the hunt is on for an ultra light weight but strong construction. In the end I guess a compromise of weight for strength will have to rule.

Edited by hayfield

Just pushed the boat out for a collection of about 40 wagons,vans and coaches. Sadly my new railway room is still cut in half (need a wall taking down) and in need of plastering. So starting the layout is still a couple of months away, though I might make a start on the boards in a couple of weeks.

Trying to visualise if I can have an elevated section on a separate loop or more likely an industrial branch line, keeping the fold together format along with a scenic section in the rear half , which folds back on itself for transportation. Could be over complicating things

Said items arrived today and very pleased with them. 8 coaches, 6 vans and 27 wagons and a RTR diesel loco body

Most are made both painted and un-painted, some needing wheels nearly all require couplings. A good selection of smaller quarry wagons and 4 wheel coaches and larger stock with 2 bogie coaches, I have bought 6 other narrow gauge items this month and have several bogie coaches and 4 locos, just need a layout and more flexi track

The selection of items which arrived have reinforced the idea of two different circuits, one for the smaller quarry based wagons and workers coaches, the other for the larger coaches, vans and trucks. Might be worthwhile buying some s/h set track curves just to play around with a few ideas