Bachmann J72

Lu4472ke

I was thinking that Mainline got there a little while ago... with a J72! (Joem in North Eastern livery). Then realised that the Joem nameplates were a preservation addition. Darn...

Joem was also from the BR built batch, so it would be inaccurate for Joem to be liveried in NER livery.

Thanks to Andy for posting the update about the lamps, that settles a number of queries.

My enquiries revealed the same, and that the CAD released so far, are pretty much of a couple of actual versions, though a couple of known gremlins have crept in, which are being addressed. There was understandably nothing more forthcoming but it certainly looks like a more than promising addition.

I heartily agree that an NER liveried version would be very welcome, we just need some suitable stock for them to shunt! Looks like I'd better get building!

Cheers

J

Good news.

And will this be the first RTR model of a NE locomotive in its pre-grouping guise?  Bachmann are to be commended for that.

Just take care with a suitable time period. From what I have seen so far it looks like 1914 onwards could be possible. Shorter bunker on the ones built before that date. I have a feeling in my water that they will not tool up for the earliest variants. With such a long building period they are a bit of a mine field.

Bernard

Just take care with a suitable time period. From what I have seen so far it looks like 1914 onwards could be possible. Shorter bunker on the ones built before that date. I have a feeling in my water that they will not tool up for the earliest variants. With such a long building period they are a bit of a mine field.

Bernard

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind, and do some research! 

I heartily agree that an NER liveried version would be very welcome, we just need some suitable stock for them to shunt! Looks like I'd better get building!

Cheers

J

Mmm, some nice NER 20T hoppers and a Birdcage brake van...?

Those CAD renderings look promising, I've got no need for a J72, it doesn't really fit my modelling interests at all, but somehow I always seem to have had at least one since the Mainline one came out when I was a kid- and I reckon the new version will be joining the collection as well...

Edited by Invicta

I've recently discovered my Joem in a bag of stuff in mum's loft when we cleared her house out. It still runs well apart from the motor that fills the cab, was a fine model for its era. Anyone got any spare buffers? Mine's missing 2!

Totally outside my focus of interest but if the NER version is well done I not be able to resist. I had the original Mainline model in BR black – I must have been very lucky as it ran well and for the time (1980) I thought it was exquisite.

• Like 1

Totally outside my focus of interest but if the NER version is well done I not be able to resist. I had the original Mainline model in BR black – I must have been very lucky as it ran well and for the time (1980) I thought it was exquisite.

And I always wished I had an excuse for one on my GW branchline - so another childhood dream to be fulfilled!

There was a Railway Modeller layout called Cheviot Dale, based on the NER, that a member here kindly forwarded on to me, that I remember form about 1976 – 1980 period. It was a was a small layout but clearly the owner was having a lot of fun with it. I've a feeling the only RTR loco on the line was a Mainline J72.

I also seem to recall various iterations of the Ashton & Midpoint layout having a mix of GWR and LNER branch line stock, although off the top of my head I don't know where the GW and LNER may have met.

Edited by Anglian

Freight vehicles ended up all over the country, look at just about any photo of a reasonably sized goods yard during the 'big four' era, and you'll usually see a mix of company wagons. LNER opens in the slate sidings of North Wales, check!

I hope this helps!

Cheers

J

In blissfull ignorance of the press day announcements, I stopped by the Bachmann stand at Railex NE on 29 July to enquire abour progress with stuffing a new chassis under the Mainline body, and was duly enlightened by that nice Mr Lovett.

Having explained about the all-new all-singing-and-dancing version he told me that development has moved on since the press day and that its now moved from CAD and into the tool-room. He's therefore expecting release about this time next year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

GW and LNE met up on the former GCR joint lines near the Chiltons.

The Greats Western and Central had a joint main line from Banbury to High Wycombe, and Kings could be seen passing A3s.  Through working of GW locos on the GC north of Banbury was common, and Southern locos that had worked up from Basingstoke via Reading and Oxford were not unknown in BR days, and by the 60s the LMS had infiltrated the GC with Black 5s and Royal Scots, so this is the place to go if you want a mix and match model.  No A4s AFAIK, though, and a bit off territory for J72s!

• 1 month later...

I asked at the York exhibition about when the new version would come out, and was told mid next year.

Just had a look on the Bachmann website and it says 3rd/4th quarter, but which year? Just wondering if it has jumped the queue and will be arriving this year......

I asked at the York exhibition about when the new version would come out, and was told mid next year.

Just had a look on the Bachmann website and it says 3rd/4th quarter, but which year? Just wondering if it has jumped the queue and will be arriving this year......

I think there are definitely a few inaccuracies, as one of them class 24/1s is also showing as 3rd/4th quarter!

The Greats Western and Central had a joint main line from Banbury to High Wycombe, and Kings could be seen passing A3s.  

Most books on the GC I've read tend to phrase that rather differently ... "trundling Kings getting in the way of A3s eager to be off and away" would be nearer the mark!

• RMweb Gold

Most books on the GC I've read tend to phrase that rather differently ... "trundling Kings getting in the way of A3s eager to be off and away" would be nearer the mark!

Well, if you want that sort of debate, may I refer you to the 'Flying Scotsman Can't Climb Hill' thread...

In the spirit of lively but friendly discussuion, of course!

• 2 months later...

So, yesterday at the Warley show, the J72 EPs were on display in the Bachmann lounge, and they looked superb! Progress is certainly impressive on these and I can't wait for the livery announcements!

There were four EPs of the J72 in the display cabinets, all showing a selection of detail differences for the potential variants ranging from NER through to LNER and BR built locos. There are various smokebox door darts/wheel combinations, buffer types, non and vac fitted early and late sand box configuration along with working 3 link couplings ready fitted.

Pre fitted speaker in the bunker, flickering LED firebox, positionable headlamps (four included with the loco though I think non-working) and full cab detail were all pointed out so it's definitely a step up from the groundbreaking Mainline tooling!

Given the details and features, it's going to be North of £100 but in the current market I think that's pretty reasonable, and I'll definitely be in for a couple of them, depending on livery and number combination (which are yet to be announced)

Only managed to get on photo worth sharing of those not on the spinning plinths as I only had my phone with me, but hopefully it'll be of use and interest!

post-7895-0-83615100-1511677876_thumb.jpg

They've certainly got the face of the loco right in my opinion, now for some other items from the same Railway family please!

Cheers

J

Edited to add photo

Edited by JaymzHatstand
  • Like 7

I was just looking at the CADs again and realised that the BR locos are missing the sandboxes behind the cab steps that 69001-28 were fitted with - the great postwar improvement! 69001 didn't get vacuum brakes but 69028 did.

This photo which I have found is quite amazing. The J71 (NER 494 of 1887) didn't get its BR number until 1952 and 69001 just needs its front sandboxes painting and the large brass builders plates fitting:-

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/show/2928/Brand-new-steam-locomotive

I was a 4-year-old living just up North Road, Darlington, at the time. When I was at the grammar school 10 years later the works crossing sometimes made me late as there could be prolonged shunting backwards and forwards with the gates closed, the J94 driver usually reading the paper. At least it was good for trainspotting!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The newly-announced locos have the same numbers as the originally-announced 8680, 69001 and 69028 so it looks as if they have replaced them.

I hope they know what they are doing with the announced models as the details are a minefield.

31-060 LNER 2313 (later 68720) Lined black with heating and vacuum brake from 1937 for use as Newcastle station pilot. By 1940 it had lost its lining and gained a Ramsbottom-type safety valve cover so it only had a 3-year spell as advertised.

31-061 68733 (formerly LNER 2326) A Scottish loco from 1939. A photo at Kipps in 1959 shows the number on the bunker and possibly an improvised safety valve cover, Scottish style.

31-062 68696 (formerly LNER 2179) steam heating and vacuum brake fitted 1955 but only allocated to Stockton then Thornaby when it opened for its few years left. Pilot work at Stockton envisaged?

31-063 NER 2173 (later 68690) supposedly NER lined green but the widely-known photo is in photographic grey and as it went to West Hartlepool it was probably painted the by-then usual black with just NER letters and the big brass number plate before leaving works.  

I think it will have to be 68696 for me as it was a Darlington build and I had a friend who had the Stockton stationmaster as a relative.

He took us over the tracks to see loose shunting close up, with the shunter running alongside pushing down the wagon brake handle with his shunting pole. Looking back it now strikes me as rather dangerous, and I am completely cavalier, but it didn't at the time. It was probably a J72 doing the shunting.

• Like 1

My 1955 ABC shows 68696 at West Auckland (51F), but Stockton (51E) by the 1959 edition.

I'm as doubtful as you are about 2173 (one of the 1914 batch) - the NER started painting goods engines black in 1904. It might be argued that the style of lining in the photo grey shot suggests green livery was applied, but there are several pictures of T2s and T3s (LNER Q6s and Q7s) with the same lining - these certainly never wore green.