WILLS whitemetal track cleaning wagon

Hi,

I have an old track cleaner wagon by Wills its an old whitemetal kit which is built up, apparently it was based upon a real cleaner based at Folkestone harbour,

does anyone have any details of the lettering this vehicle carried or photos, a long shot I know.

Steve.

post-1381-0-82237500-1502633574_thumb.jpg

There were at least two of them with detail differences.

The one more like Wills wagon was no. 631S and the photograph shows it at Ashford about 1948. It is lettered 'SR'  with the letters to the left of the two central hinges. The text states it was lettered 'Rail Cleaning Wagon' on the solebar (between the doorstops) and was based at Earlswood on the Brighton Section. Formerly SECR no. 2638 and 62143 after the grouping, and entered departmental service in 1932. Only the S R is clearly legible, but the number can just be seen between the LH hinge and the door protection strip.

It should be red oxide not brown as a departmental wagon and has short parallel buffers on wooden blocks and Mansell wooden disc wheels of 3' diameter. These are not available AFAIK, but plain disc should do.

The real thing was a conversion from an SER ballast wagon, possibly originally dumb buffered. It was actually allocated to Feltham yard, and was a Brush Truck, for sweeping snow off the rails, to maintain track circuiting. According to Southern Wagons Volume 3 it was converted to a brush wagon in March 1913 and withdrawn in July 1936. The photo in Vol 3, and a clearer one in Kidner's Service Stock of the Southern Railway, shows it in SR livery, with its number 226S at the left hand end, and, in italic script, the legend "Signal & Telegraph Dept Brush Truck Feltham" on two lines to the right end.

The real thing was a conversion from an SER ballast wagon, possibly originally dumb buffered. It was actually allocated to Feltham yard, and was a Brush Truck, for sweeping snow off the rails, to maintain track circuiting. According to Southern Wagons Volume 3 it was converted to a brush wagon in March 1913 and withdrawn in July 1936. The photo in Vol 3, and a clearer one in Kidner's Service Stock of the Southern Railway, shows it in SR livery, with its number 226S at the left hand end, and, in italic script, the legend "Signal & Telegraph Dept Brush Truck Feltham" on two lines to the right end.

This is the other wagon I referred to. It differs from the other wagon and the Wills kit* in the brake lever, unless they are different on the two sides, which could well  be the case as the rail cleaning brushes get in the way, though the drawing would suggest otherwise. I don't have access to my examples of the Wills wagon to compare at the moment. My copy of volume 3 states it was SECR no.4298 and reconstructed in 1913. (This presumably means conversion from dumb buffers to spring.) Subsequently, at first SR ballast wagon no.62175 and then converted in late 1925 to Feltham Yard brush wagon 226S. The photograph is dated 1934 and withdrawal date is given as July 1936. Both wagons have Mansell wheels and self contained buffers (logical fittings for a wagon converted from dumb buffers).

There's no mention of a Folkestone Harbour wagon, but I seem to recall hearing of one.

* It was available at first as a kit (I acquired mine ready built in SECR livery as a merchandise wagon) and later as an assembled version sold by Wills as an operating track cleaner using cigarette filters as the brushes and intended to be filled with some solvent. Possibly carbon Tetrachloride which was in common use use at the time, but nowadays we prefer something less toxic. (I also have one of these in plain grey as supplied.)

Unfortunately MGW wheels are rare these days. I have some bought new back in the day (early seventies), but haven't seen any others for years. Production ceased in the late seventies/early eighties?

There's no mention of a Folkestone Harbour wagon, but I seem to recall hearing of one.

Edited by Il Grifone

Just to complete this tail, here are the finished wagons one in SR and a hypothetical BR liveried one with the gel pen used for the additional lettering, again many thanks.

Steve. 

post-1381-0-44742400-1503136641_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just to complete this tail, here are the finished wagons one in SR and a hypothetical BR liveried one with the gel pen used for the additional lettering, again many thanks.

Steve. 

attachicon.gifDSCN3890.JPG

Nice angel.

Now that's not something I thought I'd be saying today!

I've just ordered a white gel pen from the Far East on eBay. It only cost £1.13 so not a great loss if it turns out to be rubbish. Time will tell when it finally arrives - estimated delivery  up to 12th October....

Edited by Il Grifone

I've just ordered a white gel pen from the Far East on eBay. It only cost £1.13 so not a great loss if it turns out to be rubbish. Time will tell when it finally arrives - estimated delivery  up to 12th October....

It arrived today! First trials seem 100% positive.  it was only ordered on the 13th of August so the delivery was quite rapid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-8mm-Photo-Album-White-Ink-Color-Gel-Pen-Hand-Painting-Mark-Pen-Stationery/391537209866?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D096bcc0a777f4cfdaa5c145a7769b3c5%26pid%3D100102%26&_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452

I've found details, a photo and a drawing of the track cleaning wagon, but I can't post them here for copyright reasons - MRC September 1951.

The article states Folkestone Harbour and the number is 631S, livery red oxide body solebars and buffer stocks, 3' 6" mansell wheels and clasp brakes

Edited by Il Grifone