Ferry in H0

mikeharvey22

Senlac was indeed a Dieppe- Newhaven car ferry 1973 and 1984. She was a sister ship to BR Hengist and Horsa which operated on the Dover/Folkestone- Calais/Boulogne/Ostend routes, and later on the Irish Sea.To be fair the seller's description does admit that it was not a train ferry, more about the same shape and size as other ferries built in the same yard around the same time. They also implied that it was scaled down as it could not accommodate all the tracks. Now if it had been the Shepperton, Hampton, or Twickenham it would have been smaller and they had a real and long train ferry life on Dover - Dunkerque. I do not think that Senlac will be a great seller!

http://www.dover.freeuk.com/port/cross_channel_69.htm

• RMweb Gold

Amazing to think that Twickenham, hardly at the forefront of ship design when built in the 1930s, was still running in 1972. I may actually have crossed on it in 1970, the only time that I travelled 1st class on the Night Ferry. All my later trips, 2nd class red-eye, were on St Eloi.

The kit is also wrong to have SNCF logos on a train ferry. The French train ferries were ALA.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

Having spent years sketching out layout ideas centred around train ferries I can only think, despite the compromises, this is a good thing......

...then I saw the price.

Ho, hum, linkspan it is then.

:)

Angus

• RMweb Premium

1/100 is a standard scale for builders models too, I have seen builders models of rail ferries in 1/100 loaded with 1/87 wagons and it looks OK. Not perfect but the discrepancy in scale is not as obvious as you might think.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

For a layout using this vessel see the June edition of RMF.  The layout of the month is called Tieppe, an artifice they should have avoided IMHO.  Anyway it is worth seeing if you can get hold of a copy.

Delfin

• Like 1