Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Posted Image What was your favourite model of 2017? Cast your vote

Photo

Ferry in H0

ferry train car

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mikeharvey22

mikeharvey22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 15:48

For anyone with 15 days to spare and deep pockets here is an ambitious kit build. Would like to think a more manageable N gauge one would cost 1/8 of the 750 euros.

http://www.regionset...ry-boat-a-quai/

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 Joseph_Pestell

Joseph_Pestell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationNorth Dorset

Posted 14 August 2017 - 16:10

He might get more business if he also made it to 1:76. I wonder what sort of a market there is for this.

Impressive though and the associated linkspan looks OK.

#3 Dutch_Master

Dutch_Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 16:13

They also have the more reasonably priced ferry-ramp. As for the ship, I found a wiki page in German (!!) stating that the real ship was 118m long, so the model is 1:100 scale, not 1:87 as it should :nono: It was scrapped in 2010 in Turkey.

#4 The Bigbee Line

The Bigbee Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  • LocationWatton

Posted 14 August 2017 - 16:32

I'm pretty certain that the Senlac was Ro-Ro only.  It would look nicer with 2 tracks on the link span...

#5 mikeharvey22

mikeharvey22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 19:27

Senlac was indeed a Dieppe- Newhaven car ferry 1973 and 1984. She was a sister ship to BR Hengist and Horsa which operated on the Dover/Folkestone- Calais/Boulogne/Ostend routes, and later on the Irish Sea.To be fair the seller's description does admit that it was not a train ferry, more about the same shape and size as other ferries built in the same yard around the same time. They also implied that it was scaled down as it could not accommodate all the tracks. Now if it had been the Shepperton, Hampton, or Twickenham it would have been smaller and they had a real and long train ferry life on Dover - Dunkerque. I do not think that Senlac will be a great seller!

http://www.dover.fre..._channel_69.htm

• Informative/Useful x 2

#6 Joseph_Pestell

Joseph_Pestell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationNorth Dorset

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:49

Amazing to think that Twickenham, hardly at the forefront of ship design when built in the 1930s, was still running in 1972. I may actually have crossed on it in 1970, the only time that I travelled 1st class on the Night Ferry. All my later trips, 2nd class red-eye, were on St Eloi.

The kit is also wrong to have SNCF logos on a train ferry. The French train ferries were ALA.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell, 15 August 2017 - 08:50 .

#7 AngusDe

AngusDe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationFife, Scotland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:29

Having spent years sketching out layout ideas centred around train ferries I can only think, despite the compromises, this is a good thing......

...then I saw the price.

Ho, hum, linkspan it is then.

:)

Angus

• Friendly/Supportive x 1

#8 doctor quinn

doctor quinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationRidin' out tonight to case the promised land

Posted 16 August 2017 - 16:50

1/100 is a common scale for r/c model ships the price is pretty much in line with what you'd pay for a Deans Marine kit, what's the one in the post made of?
http://www.westbourn...hant_Ships.html

Edited by doctor quinn, 16 August 2017 - 16:52 .

#9 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • LocationLancashire and sometimes France

Posted 16 August 2017 - 18:33

Aren't the other kits in the range(buildings?) mainly card? 

As far as scale, a compromise, but I would certainly not think 1/76 would do any better. Maybe I should seek out some drawings for ferry wagons to do in HO.

#10 jjb1970

jjb1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes, England

Posted 16 August 2017 - 19:02

1/100 is a standard scale for builders models too, I have seen builders models of rail ferries in 1/100 loaded with 1/87 wagons and it looks OK. Not perfect but the discrepancy in scale is not as obvious as you might think.

#11 Andy Hayter

Andy Hayter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:30

It says that the kit is on 20 laser cut A3 card sheets.

I suspect that re-scaling to a larger scale (1:76) would involve a complete redeign since A3 sheets do not scale up by 76/87 or 76/100

• Informative/Useful x 1

#12 BernardTPM

BernardTPM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:33

Do the 3mm Association do ferry wagons?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ferry train, car