Midland Spinner at Butterley? 1970's

justin

post-9576-0-27864000-1502807049_thumb.jpg

Recently picked up this picture of the preserved Midland Rly no. 118 4-2-2 apparently being moved by green class 47364. The slide was processed in August 1976. I thought it might show the delivery of the loco to the Midland Railway Centre but according to Summerson's history of Midland locos this happened in June 1975. Over a year seems along time to wait for a film to be processed though obviously not impossible. Can anyone confirm if this is what it shows or is it a later movement? Not many clues on the location but if anyone knows that would be a bonus.

Thanks

Justin

• RMweb Premium

There was an open day at Tinsley Depot in June 1976.

It is a long time ago but I remember my dad taking us along and I am pretty sure that the single and an LMS 4F were on display there.

That could be a possibility.

Wouldn't it be great to see the Spinner, Stirling single and the Caley 4-2-2 working again? These are stunning engines and much more interesting IMHO than, for example, the ubiquitous Manors.

Couldn't agree more, a world without working single drivers is one I don't want to live in, we could do with that Bloomer being finished

There was an open day at Tinsley Depot in June 1976.

It is a long time ago but I remember my dad taking us along and I am pretty sure that the single and an LMS 4F were on display there.

That could be a possibility.

Thanks for the suggestion. Was that definitely 1976? I've searched on the internet and can find several pictures of an open day in June 1980 which show 118 (or 673 as she was numbered then) and 4F 4027 but nothing for 1976. Also I would have thought they would have moved the two locos together rather than singularly

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestion. Was that definitely 1976? I've searched on the internet and can find several pictures of an open day in June 1980 which show 118 (or 673 as she was numbered then) and 4F 4027 but nothing for 1976. Also I would have thought they would have moved the two locos together rather than singularly

I can't be sure this many years later although that photo is almost identical to one my dad took, so it may have been 1980 when we went. I did a web search and the 1976 open day came up for me but not the 1980 one, so I put two and two together and may well be wrong.

There was also (again from memory that is not 100% reliable!) an open day at Derby Works where the single appeared around the same sort of time.

Edited by t-b-g

• RMweb Premium

It isn't the same time as the OP image has MR on the tender and the lower one at Tinsley has 673 .

The top image is more likely when the loco was delivered to the Midland Railway Centre prior to overhaul and a repaint. The gent on the footplate looks like one of the volunteers at the MRC that I remember from that period.

Looking in the 6203 book by Brian Radford, there is an image of the loco in 1977 coupled to 6203 PMR and Jinty 16440, with the MR still on the tender, at Butterley station (page 98)

There is another image on page 97 of 6203 and the now repainted 673 at the MRC in 1979

Edited by Ramrig

There was also (again from memory that is not 100% reliable!) an open day at Derby Works where the single appeared around the same sort of time.

That was probably the one held on 10th September 1977 (a wet day!) It was attended by MR 2-4-0 158A (and T9 30120).

• RMweb Premium

I recall the Spnner being in steam at Butterley in 1980, frustratingly the line did not have its LRO and the loco was not permitted to move! Which was a bit pointless. Then it was recalled to the NRM. I do have photos somewhere. At the time there were some well restored items of rolling stock at Butterley.

Dava

That was probably the one held on 10th September 1977 (a wet day!) It was attended by MR 2-4-0 158A (and T9 30120).

I photographed it at a Derby Works open day on 14 August 1976. It has the large numbers on the tender, as the photo above (and different to yours)

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul