Modelling Heavy Industry book

Has anyone seen a copy of this:

http://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9781785003370&t=Modelling-Heavy-Industry---A-Guide-for-Railway-Modellers

Just released by Crowood. 

At the risk of adding 2 and 2 to make 5, I wonder if (in fact I strongly suspect) the author is our very own Arthur, fount on all knowledge steel-industry related?

Cheers

Alastair

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well worth purchasing for those looking for inspiration for the characteristic buildings and structures for an industrial themed layout!

Mark Saunders

thanks to the posts above, I've bought a copy, just arrived this morning and having a quick flick through now, looks excellent, nicely produced, glossy paper etc -- really handy tips on kit-bashing and converting ready-to-plonk structures, lots of colour photos and clearly-written text -- mainly 4mm modelling (viz. dimensions and materials used)?

v pleased to have got this, will keep me quiet for a while...

cheers,

Keith

Just ordered one, it looks like the Anglicised version of Dean Frytag's book and should be inspirational!

Yes, I have Freytag's book on industrial modelling, which, whilst a useful tome, always has me confused as it is written in 'American' and not 'English'.

I have recieved a copy of this book and I can highly reccomend it.

There are some very impressive structures and how to model them and although the whole thing is centred on the iron and steel industry, there is a lot in there that can be learnt and be put to use in other general industrial railways and structures.

I would love to see the layout on which all these structures are to be brought together.

Just to echo the earlier comments, it is an excellent read, very informative and clear. 

The build notes on the large overhead crane used to break up old ingot moulds were particularly interesting.

Moreover, it stays away from harping on about locos - a pet peeve of mine, as most of the modelling world would appear to be loco-centric!

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

Moreover, it stays away from harping on about locos - a pet peeve of mine, as most of the modelling world would appear to be loco-centric!

Paul A. 

Agreed. When modelling industrial railways I always think it's important to pay attention to the industry that you are trying to represent and do some research about the processes etc. and not simply trundle industrial engines up and down on what could be any other ordinary layout.

I have been thinking about how we can have some kind of reference on this forum to share information on different rail-served industries to assist with making industrial layouts - things such as the processes, the rolling stock, raw materials (and/or goods inward) and finished products.

• Like 1

Agreed. When modelling industrial railways I always think it's important to pay attention to the industry that you are trying to represent and do some research about the processes etc. and not simply trundle industrial engines up and down on what could be any other ordinary layout.

I have been thinking about how we can have some kind of reference on this forum to share information on different rail-served industries to assist with making industrial layouts - things such as the processes, the rolling stock, raw materials (and/or goods inward) and finished products.

Ruston

As a start on rolling stock, I recommend this "Industrial Wagons an Introduction" by David Monk-Steel and available from the Industrial Railway Society .for the bargain price of £7.50

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/books/books.htm

post-3578-0-56111000-1504644129_thumb.png

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally got my hands on a copy of the Modelling Heavy Industry book and can only agree with the sentiments on here - it's great.  The only criticism is that the printing is awful with most photos very dark.  Having seen Arthur's photos on here, I know it's not the quality of the originals.  Have I got a dud copy or are they all like it?

Cheers

Alastair

• RMweb Gold

Just to echo the earlier comments, it is an excellent read, very informative and clear. 

The build notes on the large overhead crane used to break up old ingot moulds were particularly interesting.

Paul A. 

I too suffer from ONNALD* syndrome!

*Oh no not another loco depot

• Like 2

I've finally got my hands on a copy of the Modelling Heavy Industry book and can only agree with the sentiments on here - it's great.  The only criticism is that the printing is awful with most photos very dark.  Having seen Arthur's photos on here, I know it's not the quality of the originals.  Have I got a dud copy or are they all like it?

Cheers

Alastair

They're all quite dark in my copy but are acceptable apart from the locomotive section, where those on the first two pages are very dark indeed.

I'm part way through reading a copy sent for review, so far it is a pretty good read. Good stuff. My copy that I've noticed so far hasn't got much in the way of photos too dark, too small in places perhaps (a side effect of the booksize/format really though so not a real critisism).

• RMweb Gold

I have bought the on-line version: it is easier to brighten up the screen.

Yes, there could have been more light to the side of some of the scenes photographed, or some manipulation of the digitised images, but it is a very good book, and Arthur should be proud.

One criticism of Crowood is that their e-books are not correctly set up. This is not the first of their books where I have the electronic version, and headings for a section of text are "orphaned" on the previous page. Something wrong with the style sheet, I think.

I've bought the kindle version, and the photos are great as when you click on them they can be enlarged and zoomed into, using the kindle app on an iPad or on my Mac means I can see loads of detail, and its a very well written book with bang up to date materials and information, its given me loads of ideas for my forthcoming model of Port Talbot Steelworks, ( still in the design stage at the moment)

Kevin

I've just written this review up for the mag but, for obvious reasons, felt it relevant to post here.

003370.jpg

Modelling heavy industry - a guide for railway modellers
Arthur Ormrod

Crowood Press

ISBN: 9781785003370
PUBLISHED (THIS EDITION): 09/08/2017
PAGES: 192
BINDING: Paperback
SIZE: 246x189 mm
INSIDE: 281 colour and 28 b & w photographs

RRP £18.99

Ready-to-run models of industrial locomotives are currently trending and modellers are looking toward modelling industrial environments so this book is extremely timely giving the guidance and inspiration to place these models in their natural, industrial environment.

Arthur Ormrod, known to many RMweb readers as 'Arthur', has a lifetime's experience within the steel industry and brings his knowledge to this book which explains the structures, illustrated with record photographs and how to go about modelling them. Although several of the images could have been a little lighter each project is well illustrated; it is a great read and is my current 'must have' for the bookshelf. From small adaptations of proprietary resin buildings through to scale models of cooling towers the projects are to be admired.

Honestly, it's the best modelling book I've read this year.
Edited by Andy Y
Knobhead typing proficiency
  • Like 2

Ready-to-run models of industrial locomotives are currently trending and modellers are looking toward modelling industrial environments so this ook is exteremely timely giving the guidance and inspiration to place these models in their natural, industrial environment.

Pratchett's librarian uncovered - it was Andy Y all the time!!

• Like 1