NRM - Availability of Materials For Research?

Remember to book a week in advance as it is closed Sunday to Tuesday and emails are not guaranteed to be answered when not open!

Take your note pad, pencil and digital camera as not all documents can be photocopied. There are limits to the number of items you can receive per day generally six ordered in advance and a further three on the day. 

It is best to know what you want in advance!

Mark Saunders

Once you've found what you want on their search engine, (NOT easy), let them know.

I did so and arrived to find all six drawings, rolled, awaiting my perusal. Staff were helpful and polite.

A great experience in all.

I requested access to materials at the NRm and they could not have been more helpful. They naturally watched my every move to ensure that I didn't damage important/ irreplaceable books, but otherwise left me alone.

They also have an extensive reference library available covering a large variety of subjects - this doesn't need 'pre-booking' and can just be picked up off the shelf. Anything along the lines of drawings/microfilms/documents will need to be requested. 

Regrettably when i was there, there was a bit of a kerfuffle with another member of the public who thought he should be allowed to trace a nearly 100 year old drawing and was kicking up a stink when he was told no. Please bear in mind that the NRM is charged with the protection and preservation of these documents and that they are quite rightly the ones that set the rules

• Like 1