Instanter Three-Link Coupling

rocor

post-31664-0-93336900-1503081015_thumb.jpg

They were very easy to use and reliable in service, and in 8 years as a guard at Canton in the 1970s I never heard of a breakage involving one; axle failures were more common.

Instanter couplings did break occasionally, this one gave up whilst fitted to a loaded MGR wagon heading for Ridham Sdgs in about 1993.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif1993 ish could be late 1992 or early 1994 - Broken Instanter Coupling - Rev.1.jpg

Instanter couplings did break occasionally, this one gave up whilst fitted to a loaded MGR wagon heading for Ridham Sdgs in about 1993.

Looks as if there was a bit of a 'snatch'; the top obviously went first and then the coupling stretched a little before finally failing at the bottom, accounting for the angle of that break.  Was the wagon at the head of the train?

Edited by The Johnster

Looks as if there was a bit of a 'snatch'; the top obviously went first and then the coupling stretched a little before finally failing at the bottom, accounting for the angle of that break.  Was the wagon at the head of the train?

Unfortunately I cannot recall or find any further details regarding train formation, although I agree with your suggested process of the failure.  The coupling passed through my office en route for further analysis at Derby (I think), I had not come across a failed instanter before and took a couple of photos but either failed to record any details or more likely have lost them over time.