Why is it Blocked?

Guest pboeast

Guest pboeast

Would anyone know why my unofficial competition has been closed down? I have no intentions of asking for or giving money, it is not a sensitive topic, the language is polite and the competition is voluntary. At the very least, can I have an opportunity to copy the text off, so that I can ask people off the forum if this is not allowed on the forum?

Because if there are any competitions they have to be handled through the appropriate channel; if you had approached me first I could have explained conventions. You termed it as 'unofficial' but that doesn't negate anything; it was poorly thought through with an excessive number of categories and bizarre rules.

We will shortly be launching an RMweb Challenge, we're also supporting Wild Swan's Cameo Layout Challenge and it would not have been appropriate to have had another variable in the equation.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Because if there are any competitions they have to be handled through the appropriate channel; if you had approached me first I could have explained conventions. You termed it as 'unofficial' but that doesn't negate anything; it was poorly thought through with an excessive number of categories and bizarre rules.

We will shortly be launching an RMweb Challenge, we're also supporting Wild Swan's Cameo Layout Challenge and it would not have been appropriate to have had another variable in the equation.

This new RMweb challenge sounds like it could be interesting - even more so if it's one that a number of people are in a position to enter - but please don't view this as me trying to dictate which challenges to run.

As for me, whether I enter will depend on whether it's something that interests me personally (which effectively means something I was thinking of building anyway and have done some groundwork on) - and whether I actually get the time available to devote to it, early enough so I've got some chance of finishing.

Depending on exactly what this new challenge turns out to be, there might be potential for a "rolling" challenge (running over a number of years - the year it's finished is the year it's entered). Something like this could have worked well with the other year's "motive power" and "rolling stock" challenges - especially since a number of people were unable to complete their "motive power" entries, due to external / family commitments and health issues.

Also depending on the exact nature of the new challenge, there might also be potential for future magazine articles - and reader / member generated display pieces at "Ally Pally" etc.

Whatever the score, I'll be watching with interest - hardly surprising, really, as I have also wondered about the possibility of unofficial challenges. However, I never went very far with them, essentially for the reasons that Andy has mentioned.

This is one of those "discussions" where I can see both sides - and I wonder how far apart they really are. (With me not knowing the nature of the proposed unofficial challenge, I suspect I might never find out.) However, I certainly wouldn't wish to discourage anyone from having a go at building things - or any groups of modellers from challenging each other. I don't wish to speak for Andy - but I very much doubt if he'd be looking to deter people from actually doing stuff.

Ultimately, I suspect Andy's got to "walk a tightrope" here - he wouldn't even have set this site up if he didn't want to encourage modelmaking (and people pushing themselves and their friends to improve their skills etc). I could also add that, over the years, I've found him very easy to get on with and straightforward to deal with. However, when it comes to any challenges run via this site, Andy needs to be very careful - for the reasons he's outlined, plus others.

Anyway, I'll be watching with interest - and I suspect I might not be alone.

Regards,

Huw.