LMS 4-4-0 Fowler class 2P.

Can anyone let me have the dates of any railway modelling magazines please, which include a drawing of the LMS 4-4-0 Fowler class 2P loco.?

Are the chimney and dome sizes etc. shared by any other LMS loco please - 0-6-0 class 3F / 4F perhaps ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Keith

...Are the chimney and dome sizes etc. shared by any other LMS loco please - 0-6-0 class 3F / 4F perhaps ?...

FJ Roche' 1948 drawings of the Fowler/LMS builds of these classes make the 2P and 4F almost identical twins, other than the wheel arrangement and footplating above to accomodate, and a longer smokebox on the 4-4-0. Do we trust Mr Roche on this aspect, with the knowledge that the 4F drawing has some interesting inaccuracies?

I'll have a look later about sizes, but it's worth bearing in mind that different batches of the LMS 2P were built to different loading gauges. The earlier ones were built to the MR loading gauge whilst later ones had the boiler fittings shortened so they fitted a universal loading gauge mainly for use in Scotland.

Also many of them later received replacement Stanier chimneys and domes.

If you can get a copy (your local library should be able to get it) then An Illustrated History of L.M.S. Locomotives: Absorbed Pre-group Classes, Midland Division by R Essery and D Jenkinson is invaluable.

Jason

As far as I can remember the 4Fs and 2Ps shared the same types of chimneys and domes. The latter qwere of two types, one shorter than the other.

The chimneys were a bit more varied; tall/short and with or without a capuchon. Capuchons appear on earlier photos of the class, although they remained fitted to most of the 2Ps and 4Fs allocated to the Scottish Region. English allocated locos of both classes mostly ended up with shorter capuchonless Stanier chimneys and the shorter style of dome.

As ever a reliably dated photo of an actual loco is the best way to go.

Thank you so much for this invaluable information, it is greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of having a go at building this loco in Gauge 1 [electric motor] and I've read about the differences in scales - 10 mm to 1' 0" and 1/32, but I'd really like to keep it to near scale as possible, especially the wheels.

Walsall Model Engineering produce a lot of items for Gauge 1 but I'm not sure which items might be appropriate - hence my post.

The coupling rods might be a headache, as I believe the driving wheel centres dimension was 9' 6 from memory.

Has anyone ever built equivalent ScaleSeven, ProtoFour etc. standards in Gauge 1, including track please ?