TCS KAM4 Issue

Fairweather

Hello, I suspect the decoder is irredeemably knackered, but though I would seek guidance first. Having left a loco for 2 months, when using it again it initially hummed but didn't move, on dismantling it and checking the power through the decoder wires, there is no power going through the grey wire (back to the motor). Does anyone know of a way to resolve this? Any advice much appreciated. 

Edited by Fairweather

Sitting there humming could be a sign that the mechanical side is jammed somewhere, not becessarilly a decoder issue. Is it a steam or diesel? If it's steam the rods could be jammed somewhere or in the case of a diesel the gears could stuck wih solidified grease.

Once you are sure that everyting moves freely then first off try a decoder reset, probably by writing 8 to CV8.

If you left it humming you could have fried the decoder, so before fitting a new one, remove the old one, fit a blanking plug and see if it runs on DC.

Give that a try and if not successful report back on what happens.

regards

John

Also, if the decoder doens't work in another loco, an option is to utilise TCS's "goof proof" warranty - they will repair/replace faulty decoders no questions asked, see their website. Yes it does require postage to US, £4 or so IIRC and take 2-3 weeks but is a geat facility for a manufacturer to provide. I've used it several times with excellent service, including where I've done something inept - so for difficult installations I tend to use TCS decoders now.

Good luck with it

Jon

Thank you all for your help. After resetting the decoder and swapping it to a different loco showed that there wasn't anything wrong with the decoder, the fault was narrowed down to the motor. Looking at it,  I think 2 months in the garage and not enough oil have caused some corrosion to the gears- not much but apparently enough.  A good spray with WD40 and a light oiling will hopefully restore it. I think in the future I'll keep it indoors....

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for your help. After resetting the decoder and swapping it to a different loco showed that there wasn't anything wrong with the decoder, the fault was narrowed down to the motor. Looking at it,  I think 2 months in the garage and not enough oil have caused some corrosion to the gears- not much but apparently enough.  A good spray with WD40 and a light oiling will hopefully restore it. I think in the future I'll keep it indoors....

Arggghhh, not WD40..It gets everywhere and is not recommended. Are you sure there is corrosion in the gears? Most gears are plastic of one kind or another, so perhaps the motor itself has a problem. A visit to a repairer or failing that send it back to the manufacturer, who will repair it for a reasonable fee.

• RMweb Premium

It's a kit built loco with metal gears- definitely had rust on them. After a spray and a bit of oiling it's running happily again- though I admit the WD40 did make a bit of a mess!

Ah-ha, I didn't appreciate it was a kit built loco; the advice re washing off the WD40 is spot on. My concern was that the WD40 would affect more than just the loco, leeching onto track and other components (Locos, coaches, etc.). I have mistakenly used it in the past, but by good coincidence before I went DCC which was a sea change for my layout.