Greatest Density of Railway stations per Capita

28XX

There have been a few threads on superlatives recently, and I'm going to start another.

Which town or city in the UK has the greatest number of Railway Stations per capita of the population?

For this to be meaningful, London, Brum, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow are excluded, not because they are big, but they are really conurbations and defining boundaries is difficult and will lead to arguments.

My first shot is Falmouth. 3:- Docks, Town and Penmere. Population 21,797 (2011 census), one per 7,266 people.

GO!

Edited by 28XX

You should maybe specify that there should be more than one station in the town, or else some very small town with only one station is going to 'win'.

I would suggest Greenock. 9 stations - Fort Matilda, West, Central, Cartsdyke, Bogston, Whinhill, Drumfrochar, Branchton and IBM Halt. 2011 population 44,248. One station per 4917 people.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dovey Junction, or is that cheating?

Seriously, Cwmmer Afan must have been a contender, 3 stations, 4 if you include Blaengwynfi, for a tiny village.  And the Buffet's still open, 45 years after the last train left!

• Like 2

Acton has six (that's just the ones called Acton) and technically it is a town, though I know it probably breaks your rule.

Harrow is further out and has five on the same basis, Hampstead also.

I believe Bristol has six that lie within the city boundary - Temple Meads, Lawerence Hill, Stapleton Road, Montpelier, Redland and Clifton Down.

Surely there are lots of small places served by a single station that fall below such averages. Bartlow in Cambridgeshire had a two-part junction station with a population of just 66 at around the time when it fell foul of the Beeching cuts. I'm sure there must have been many similar and smaller places too.

Edited by EddieB

I believe Bristol has six that lie within the city boundary - Temple Meads, Lawerence Hill, Stapleton Road, Montpelier, Redland and Clifton Down.

You forgot St Andrews Road, Avonmouth, Shirehampton, Sea Mills, Bedminster and Parson Street!

Tyndrum has a population of 167 but has two stations Upper and Lower.

Cheers,

Mick

That would have been my suggestion. I'd be surprised if anywhere else could even come close in the UK.

But how about Cranmore, which has two East Somerset Railway stations?

• RMweb Premium

As has been mentioned in another recent topic, Tamworth must be a contender. It has two stations in very close proximity. So much so that walking between the two, is the only practical method of going from one to the other. A taxi driver would be very unimpressed!

Travelling by train between the two, would involve a significant detour!

For a modestly sized city Exeter does quite well, population estimate 129,000 with 9 or 10 stations.

Exeter St Davids, Exeter St Thomas, Exeter Central, St James Park, Pinhoe, Polsloe Bridge, Newcourt, Digby & Sowton and Topsham. (Does Cranbrook count?)

Plus another at Marsh Barton to be built.

With four more former halts at Mount Pleasant Road, Whipton, Clyst St Mary and Digby Halt, and  Alphington Halt.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

Ryde with Pier Head, Esplanade and St John's must be near the top of the list.

Err .... being pedantic is Ryde Pier Head actually in Ryde or is it the sea.

If it's the sea, then it has a population of zero, making it equal winner with all the other Pier stations.

Probably not a contender bu the population of Aberdyfi on the Cambrian Coast was 1282 in 2011.  However, Aberdyfi has two railway stations within it's boundary - Aberdyfi (naturally) but also Penhelig.  So that's two stations, or one per 641 inhabitants of the seaside resort.  Given it is very much South Gwynedd's gin and Jag settlement where houses routinely fetch astronomical prices for round here, I suspect those two stations are perhaps not as well used as others on the Coast.

Incidentally I've always thought Penhelig would make a fabulous layout, set on a tight curve between two tunnel scenic breaks.

Edited by wombatofludham

• RMweb Gold

As has been mentioned in another recent topic, Tamworth must be a contender. It has two stations in very close proximity. So much so that walking between the two, is the only practical method of going from one to the other. A taxi driver would be very unimpressed!

Travelling by train between the two, would involve a significant detour!

IIRC Tamworth is one station in a high and low level configuration, though the Midland and LNW might not have seen it that way.  The platform numbers are continuous, and a parcels lift connects both levels, or used to.

Completely different places from a signalling point of view of course.