Derailment at Paddington

The picture I have seen it looks like the track has 'spread' under the power car.

It looks like the flange of the left wheel is on top of the rail, while the right wheel has fallen inside of its rail.

Also don't see any sign of either rail looking out of place, which doesn't rule out the rail falling back into place or it happening in an area not covered by the picture.

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought, someone must have alerted the driver very quickly as there doesn't look to be anything that would have broken the brake pipe unless the guard was at the rear of the train and near a brake valve.

Jamie

There's a tie-bar visible under the front of the derailed power car in the BBC head-on photo ................. DEAD giveaway - failure to manage wheel-timbers properly yet again ............... gauge spread .............. no if no buts

Yet more Railtrack era lessons being unlearnt ............ Bexley derailment ...................... My God NR is really going down the pan

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

There's a tie-bar visible under the front of the derailed power car in the BBC head-on photo ................. DEAD giveaway - failure to manage wheel-timbers properly yet again ............... gauge spread .............. no if no buts

Yet more Railtrack era lessons being unlearnt ............ Bexley derailment ...................... My God NR is really going down the pan

in the top photo in post number 8 there appear to be no pandrol clips on the far rail....

Andi

• RMweb Premium

Hmm. gauge spread often happens under the heavier vehicle - I bet that power car is the heaviest thing to use that platform with any regularity...

Still no excuse though

I'm afraid that the near constant reorganisations in recent years as NR attempts to satisfy the politicians demand that it become 'more efficient' and introduce more in house 'competition' to bring down the costs of railway maintenance (as per the McNulty report) are having a negative effect on the quality of NRs output. This is not helped by recent attempts to bolster staff numbers (having let too many experienced people go a few years ago under the "Phase 2B/C" programme and hiring lots of contractors to fill the gaps when the top brass realised their mistakes).

Railway engineering is not a skill that can be learnt overnight and while investment in apprentices is very welcome it will take many years before they will have enough 'real world' experience to replace the talent that has been lost. Equally there is far too much focus by the top brass in Technological solutions to problems rather than concentrating on the basics (though this again is heavily influenced by government policy that wants to achieve savings manly by cutting the wage bill - as per Mc-Nulty who was very critical about pay awards for railway staff). Fancy mobile maintenance trains may be all very good but when it comes to complex areas (e.g. pointwork or heavily used terminal platforms) such machines are not a great deal of help, particularly when you need to block several lines anyway.

This is a shame because on the whole, NR has a lot of very good people in it, who try and do their best to keep things going but who are systematically let down by decisions from upstairs (which includes those sitting in Whitehall, not just Milon Keynes) or who simply lack the necessary wider railway knowledge that can only be built up over time.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 3

Agreed Phil - too many square pegs being forced into in round holes (the reason I gave up as a TME and left) and way way too many useless holes - Mrs SM46 handed in her notice two weeks ago because she is just appalled at what is going on and is fed up trying to push the boulder uphill ................ I wholehearted agree with your last paragraph though ............ the current TME at Woking is a personal friend and he feels utterly beleaguered  ..................

Hmm. gauge spread often happens under the heavier vehicle - I bet that power car is the heaviest thing to use that platform with any regularity...

A steamer (cant remember which one)  went into platform 2 last night, 3 (or was it 4) HSTs used platform 2 this morning before the derailed train did.

There are lots of tie bars in the area of the derailment, I have been told by a normally reliable source that all 4 wheels on the platform side are off the rail and in the 4 foot (hence it leaning over so much) with the leading wheelset (under the former luggage van end) over the rail and in the 6 foot, the other 3 wheels are still on the (offside) rail.

4, you forgot the one in Eastleigh yard.

But apparently it's all OK because they were all low speed with low risk and no casualties (NR's own internal reporting) -  no, ANY derailment is a complete system failure............... it's only a matter of time before it'll be high speed and with greater consequences .................. the sheer volume of PW component failures ........ cracked crossings, broken IBJ's on the SR alone is very, very concerning ............................

Edited by Southernman46

Just a thought, someone must have alerted the driver very quickly as there doesn't look to be anything that would have broken the brake pipe unless the guard was at the rear of the train and near a brake valve.

Jamie

Guard should have been at the back with their finger on the Driver/Guard buzzer, one push on that and the driver drops the lot in immediately.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed Phil - too many square pegs being forced into in round holes (the reason I gave up as a TME and left) and way way too many useless holes - Mrs SM46 handed in her notice two weeks ago because she is just appalled at what is going on and is fed up trying to push the boulder uphill ................ I wholehearted agree with your last paragraph though ............ the current TME at Woking is a personal friend and he feels utterly beleaguered  ..................

He has my sympathies - I get the impression the TME at Three Bridges feels the same way.

Grief from us S&T because the state of the p-way through points, grief from the measurement train because of all the defects it picks up, too few staff to undertake the work, a need to rely on contractors, a lack of decent possessions as TOCs try and ram in as many trains as they can, loads of various short term 'fixes' or 'initiatives' to try and delay works or keep things going until the route an eventually sort out a big possession to fix the issue properly, plus his relatively young age makes it all a very punishing role.

Edited by phil-b259