Russian loco identity

LNERGE

I've had this for some time but have never tried to find out what loco it was from...

post-4034-0-74071800-1503245643_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine used to travel a lot and brought it back from one of his trips. He mounted it on a piece of wood and wrote a note on the back..

post-4034-0-50759100-1503245653_thumb.jpg

I always admired this hanging on his wall and having seen similar plaques on Russian trains whilst on my travels i decided to buy it when his family sold his collection at auction. Does anyone know what type of loco it was attached to or have a photo of it?

Assuming there's no reason to disbelieve what your friend wrote on the back of the mount, it would appear to contain the identity of the locomotive. It comes from a time when the Soviet Union was collapsing and western hard currency was much in demand - anything from plaques to full size locomotives were on offer!

The ER series was an extension of the E family of 0-10-0 freight locomotives that had its origins in pre-revolutionary Russia.  Taken together the E family represent the largest steam class world-wide.  

The ER were one of several improved variants, being built in Soviet-controlled Eastern Europe (the "R" signifying "redesigned"), with 2682 being buit in the period 1947-1955.  According to the Soviet numbering system, the class type (ER) was followed by a series number (799) and a running number within that series (14). 799 was the final number series for this class. The locomotive was built by MAVAG in Budapest (not MAGAG!), works number 7110 of 1954.

Not the same locomotive, but here's a similar locomotive ER 797-86 (I don't have the builder's details).  (If you think it would look better in colour, blame the stupid postman who left my parcel of processed films on the doorstep to be whisked away by a light-fingered passer by and never recovered).

post-10122-0-64364400-1503247586_thumb.jpg

Edited by EddieB

Super thanks. There was a tradition around Ely to rob comfy bits out of stock heading for Snailwell. My box should have a three arched seat from a Cravens DMU. All I could get at the time was seats from Central Line stock being broken up there. They were happy to give them away as long as I took over a ton. They went to landfill apparently. Several vehicles we made at the Arlesey Light Railway had these seats as did the tea shed, the station waiting room, the pub, the......

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1