Heljan announce further batch of OO gauge Class 26s

MGR Hooper!

Heljan have just put the following on their Facebook page....

"Following customer demand, we are producing the following BRCW/BR class 26/0 and 26/1 models.

Scheduled for January 2018 release, we are inviting initial orders as production numbers are limited and we anticipate a keen demand for these models.

SRP is £129,95 each

Class 26/1 - 2614 26026 BR blue with full yellow ends
Class 26/1 - 2615 26044 BR blue with full yellow ends
Class 26/1 - 2638 26028 BR blue with full yellow ends
Class 26/1 - 2639 26036 Engineers Dutch
Class 26/1 - 2640 26040 Railfreight grey
Class 26/0 - 2655 26008 Railfreight COAL sector
Class 26/0 - 2656 26010 Railfreight red-stripe
Class 26/0 - 2657 26011 Civil Engineers
Class 26/0 - 2658 26014 BR blue with full yellow ends"

The pictures they have posted show 26044 as weathered.

Good news after the last "flood" of Green ones....................better still, if they have re-tooled the bogie frames to move the secondary spring assemblies back........................AND they use the correct "leaf spring" bogie frames where appropriate........ie 26 010 etc 

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 1

Good news for us Scottish 1980s modellers, looks like my wallets going to take a hammering with ScotRail Mk3s and DBSOs also on the horizon. I always thought the coal sector livery suited the 26 quite well, a bit late for my modelling era though. Now to decide which one(s!) to get.

• Like 1

Guest eddie reffin

Superb selection there! Hopefully they sell well and we can keep getting future batches. Be good if the did a selection of 27s as modelled at the end of their lives (84-86) to follow on from the 26s. The old CC going to take another beating!

• RMweb Premium

Great news (apart from Bank Balance). it looks like 026 and 044 are water tank/boiler fitted and therefore presumably the disk headcode versions. I seem to remember that one of the original TOPS/Disk versions had Inverness headlamps as part of the detail packs, hopefully these will be part of the offering. From a quick search it looks like 044 carried a single central headlight.

Good news for us Scottish 1980s modellers, looks like my wallets going to take a hammering with ScotRail Mk3s and DBSOs also on the horizon. I always thought the coal sector livery suited the 26 quite well, a bit late for my modelling era though. Now to decide which one(s!) to get.

You mean one of these

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tracks_revisited_rtn/26689794791/

Good news after the last "flood" of Green ones....................better still, if they have re-tooled the bogie frames to move the secondary spring assemblies back........................AND they use the correct "leaf spring" bogie frames where appropriate........ie 26 010 etc 

I would say yes and yes to that suggestion. All the mods we used to do should now not be needed. 

I've emailed Heljan requesting they supply 26010 with (correct) leaf spring bogies as the hattons photo shows it with coil spring bogies. Also, correctly sized numbers and correctly sized railfreight logos if possible. And could they lighten up the grey which has been too dark until now. Also, the cab ends would look more like the prototype if the rain strip over the cab windows was left yellow and not painted black. Perhaps if others could go the same, it may help? I didn't mention the incorrectly placed roof vents or improving the coil spring bogies mouldings as these would require tooling changes.

I've emailed Heljan requesting they supply 26010 with (correct) leaf spring bogies as the hattons photo shows it with coil spring bogies. Also, correctly sized numbers and correctly sized railfreight logos if possible. And could they lighten up the grey which has been too dark until now. Also, the cab ends would look more like the prototype if the rain strip over the cab windows was left yellow and not painted black. Perhaps if others could go the same, it may help? I didn't mention the incorrectly placed roof vents or improving the coil spring bogies mouldings as these would require tooling changes.

Some interesting comments, and ALL of them relevant.  It's unlikely that all these issues will be addressed. From the above photos, it would appear the numbers used are now smaller than the original releases ?  Heljan already have the "leaf spring" bogie tooling available, so they just have to supply/match them to the correct models. A lighter shade of R/F Grey and the top windscreen beading in Yellow perhaps unlikely, like also moving the cab roof vents to their correct position - how did they mange to get these correct on their 27 and wrong on the 26 ? 

I would say yes and yes to that suggestion. All the mods we used to do should now not be needed. 

In fact I am pretty sure that the last batch of 26s (green) and 33s had both the correct pattern (transverese leaves in the case of early 26s) and set back springs. ...amazing to think we must have modded about 50 or 60 26s and27s in the course of Airthrey Park and Hazelbank's show careers and Heljan actually did what was asked after we did it (as usual!) We have also repainted many McRats and have had them subsequently released as Heljan factory paint job locos...oh well ! Still favour a good repaint over the factory stuff anyway, particulalry the rather over bright shades of yellow used on pre 1984 locos!

Edited by gridwatcher