Bays in an island platform - Evolving a Bad Idea

While stuck in the 'am I moving house or not' limbo so not wanting to start building anything else, i'm still playing about with Minories plans trying to work out what best will fit my needs. On another thread I've already come up with a terminus - fiddle yard design based on Minories that I find quite aesthetically pleasing, but it doesn't have that 'train set' continuous run element that i'd also like.

I've got the plan below which is rattling round my head which would give a Minories terminus pretending to be a pair of bay platforms in an island platform mainline junction through station. Just one end of the station is 'on scene', a large bridge with the station building on breaks it up at the end of the bay platforms. I haven't quite worked out all the details yet but I can already see a couple of issues which i'd be interested in thoughts from the masses. It's not drawn properly 'to scale', and it's drawn straight rather than with a nice smooth curve through it, but i'd be aiming for the bay platforms to hold (for example) a pair of 2 car 158 DMUs or loco plus 3 mk2s, and the end curve hidden by the rest of the station is radius 1 and 2.

At this point i'm not even sure which would be the best side to view this from, the 'Fiddle Yard' would be along what ever becomes the back of the layout with the rest of the return loop as open running line in front of it. The area marked as 'sidings' would have some carriage sidings and loco stabling/turning depending on what era i'm running, they just haven't all been drawn on yet as I don't know quite what will fit best. There would possibly also be a couple of trailing sidings off the 'Up Goods' loop serving a goods yard/sidings in that direction.

post-9147-0-79585500-1503592582_thumb.jpg

The main issue I have is it makes the platforms really really wide! I'm not sure how to justify that.

Possible option is to somehow put in another couple of bay platforms to fill the space, but I don't think I've ever seen a prototype for that. Could a possible scenario be any additional bays are slightly shorter and used for parcels traffic rather than passengers? It'd be easy enough to create a couple of those that trail onto the end of platform 1. Thoughts on how to fill/justify the space welcomed please!

Next up is shunting the bay platforms; I've angled it so any shunt moves between the carriage sidings and bay platforms would use the Down line (departures). I've been trying to work out how to turn the head shunt into a second down line so either down line from the station could be used for shunting but still leave departure options, but to keep the number of turnouts down to sensible levels the carriage sidings would need to trail off the Down Through route and the point ladder is then getting too long to be practicable. Any thoughts on that? I'd like to keep the whole plan down to 4 sensible sized sections: platforms, (minories) throat point work, junction point work, and fiddle yard.

Thoughts and comments please, signalling headaches to come later ;)

(similarities to Norwich on the track arrangement is purely coincidental, but I like it! (I've resisted a scissor crossing))

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

• RMweb Premium

Rugby had two sets of bays at the North end with the slow lines along the main platform faces and fast lines outside of them.

(The South end also had 4 tracks in a bay but only two platform faces.)

The goods lines ran outside of the fast lines so their were six running tracks, three each side.

Effectively West to East: Down Goods, Down Fast, Down Slow, [Platform] Up Slow, Up Fast, Up Goods

Any inspiration from that?

Keith

Edit reversed North & South and added clarity!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Good to hear that multiple bays is an option. I'd forgotten about rugby. Also hadn't thought about stretching a station building along a platform, both those options give me ideas to think about.

That just leaves shunting...

Cheers all.

• RMweb Premium

Several diagrams of Rugby at different times here:

http://warwickshirerailways.com/lms/rugby_station.htm#rugbystation

Edinburgh Waverley is mainly one big island platform with numerous bays each end.

Keith

EDIT Corrected misinformation (reading a map upside down!!!)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Several diagrams of Rugby at different times here:

http://warwickshirerailways.com/lms/rugby_station.htm#rugbystation

Edinburgh Waverley is mainly one big island platform with numerous bays each end.

Keith

EDIT Corrected misinformation (reading a map upside down!!!)

That's a brilliant link, thank you.

• RMweb Premium

Bolton Trinity Street Station had a bay on one of the island platforms, picture lifted off the web, if any copyright is infringed please remove.

Hope this helps

Craig

attachicon.gifBolton Trinity St bay paltform.jpg

I think the short platform 2 on the right is still used on occasion (but I can't find anything in the current timetable). The through platform 1 on the right is usually bi-directional for the Blackburn line.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Hellifield is a single large island with only two through lines. It had bays at both ends.

I've played around with the current plan but doing a "what if" and reinstating the east facing bay with the Clitheroe branch passenger service being retained and Lancashire-Yorkshire services doing a reversal .

there.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

The main issue I have is it makes the platforms really really wide! I'm not sure how to justify that.

Carlisle 'barrow' bay, Derby platform 5, 7 bays in crewe's 2 island platforms, those are the ones I can think of off hand

The bay at Carlisle, which I think was originally for Maryport and Carlisle trains, is (was?) single-track. Would that help with the breadth of the platform?

• Like 1

Hi All,

Slough on the GWR main line had numerous bay platforms all over the place with the up and down relief and up and down main travelling through. Reading still does with a whole host of bay platforms facing down the Berks and Hants and the former SR side of the station heading of into 3rd rail territory. The original design of Reading had a large area of freight avoiding lines alongside the main station and numerous bay platforms. All this is now through platforms though.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

The bay at Carlisle, which I think was originally for Maryport and Carlisle trains, is (was?) single-track. Would that help with the breadth of the platform?

Yes it's a single track bay, iirc I don't think locos can go into it as it's quite narrow, I do know it has no OHLE in there

It also still has the old motor rail ramp at the end

Edited by big jim

Yes it's a single track bay, iirc I don't think locos can go into it as it's quite narrow, I do know it has no OHLE in there

Interesting! Steam engines certainly could. I've seen a picture of a Stanier 2-6-4T at the buffer stops.

Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold

Interesting! Steam engines certainly could. I've seen a picture of a Stanier 2-6-4T at the buffer stops.

I may be wrong, really I should know these things shouldn't I in case I get routed in there one day light engine!!

Another 2 that spring to mind from the Glasgow area are Motherwell, which had a bay between the WCML and the diverging Hamilton line. Also interesting is Rutherglen, in its heyday it had platforms on 3 sides of the triangle and bay platforms in the centre.

Angus

• RMweb Gold

Carlisle platform 2 is defiantly fit for locos, the loco hauled stock for the coast has been in a few times. It's a tight squeeze but been done on more than one occasion.

I thought you'd be the man to confirm or deny it!