Negative Ion vs flyswatter for static grass

Not worth the bother for most users, however if large areas or very long grass is involved then an ion unit is better.

But as I found in investigating the various units, it's not the power, but the design of the head, and the users skill that makes the difference.

The best head I can find is to have the electrode inside the cup, with a pattern of holes in a disc of plastic designed to suit the grass used. No metal grid is needed for the grass to go through, it is charged inside the reserve cup.

The voltage does make a difference but only for large area work. If the cup has the plastic front, or a commercial one like Peco, then a funnel in reverse is a good idea as the front, as it concentrates the grass for detailing longer grass.

The flyswatter circuits work well as standard, no need to boost them, although you can if you want.

If into O gauge, then use the ion unit as it handles longer fibres.

The big surprise is that the static bottles also work well! and are better at fine detailing around buildings.

The advantage of a cup with holes is no chance of shocks, unlike the tea strainer types, which are limited due to the one size of mesh, which a cup type has no problem with, as you make your own screen in minutes.

The best advice is to never rush the static grass, go slowly, working it up, not in a rush, where you might as well just use the flock as it was used, by throwing the stuff straight on. By the way, at 2mm length it barely makes a difference whether static is used or just strewing it by hand.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, I have had  (in my eyes) fairly good results with 2mm grass using an home build flyswatter device but I want to start using longer grasses and also a fairly larger area so I think, from reading your response, that I will build a negative ion based tool. I take your point about the different shaped nozzles and, to be honest, I enjoy building this sort of thing.

regards

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I built a static grass applicator using a Neg ION and find it great to use. I had tried the tea-strainer type before and wasn't that impressed so followed Luke Towans clip on You-Tube (link below), got myself a section of 50mm tube, an old peanut container, old sieve and ordered the Neg ION Gen from Australia. So simple to put together, I have two - one works off a 9v battery and the other plugs into a 12v adapter. For the 9v verion, I used an old tube of sealant for the body, a beaker and again, mesh from the same sieve. No issues with applying 2mm, 3mm, 4mm or 6mm grass to a variety of surfaces. Total cost was around £25 as I had to buy 2 Neg ION Gens. plus the pipe etc. The Peco one is supposed to be good, at around £50 is not badly priced either compared to the Noch ones etc.

Part one is here:

Also, read this thread on RMWeb: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64167-static-grass-tips-and-techniques/

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Morning Tony - yes it was the Oakley one sent over from Australia. I had purchased a Neg Ion Gen from Ebay (China) but the wiring was different and I couldn't fathom it out so I just decided to ge the ones that Luke recommended. I have attached a picture of the body. The grey pipe and fittings were ordered off Ebay. I cut the middle of the peanut tub lid out and fitted the mesh from a sieve, securing it with a hot glue gun. Soldered a wire with connector to it, and that connected to the wire coming from the Neg Ion Gen.

The second picture shows the result from my cheap home made static grass applicator using 4mm grass from War World Scenics.

Cheers.

Ian

post-21193-0-90180400-1505727528_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-11318600-1505727772_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ian, looks good. I have also ordered the cheap chinese version, the wiring looks the same as the one that Luke Towan used. If it doesn't work I will buy the Australian one as all the other parts are the same. I have also found a polish version on ebay that has an higher Kw output but I don't know if that would make a significant difference.

Can I ask what diameter pipe you used? Luke Towan used 50mm but I wondered if I could get away with a smaller diameter, I suppose it will depend on how big the neg ion unit is.

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian, looks good. I have also ordered the cheap chinese version, the wiring looks the same as the one that Luke Towan used. If it doesn't work I will buy the Australian one as all the other parts are the same. I have also found a polish version on ebay that has an higher Kw output but I don't know if that would make a significant difference.

Can I ask what diameter pipe you used? Luke Towan used 50mm but I wondered if I could get away with a smaller diameter, I suppose it will depend on how big the neg ion unit is.

Regards

Tony

Morning Tony - I used 50mm diameter pipe so I could mount the Neg Ion Gen to a piece of wood to secure it in place. Stops it from flopping around when you are shaking the applicator. The gen on its own should slip into a 45mm dia pipe without too much trouble as well. The Chinese ones might be smaller than the one from Australia so you might find it will fit in a section of white plumbing waste pipe ok.

• 4 weeks later...

Completed my Luke Towan type static grass machine last night.  The ion generator was a non-branded item bought from ebay but apart from that the rest was the same as Luke describes.  I made up three screens for the front as I need to cover fibres from 2-10 mm.  One used a sieve but the other two used stainless mesh from China via ebay.  Had to be cut using a slitting disc in a mini drill (and eye protection).  The bits that fly off are very hot.  To make them interchangeable each screen has a spade terminal pop riveted to it and the wire from the ion generator terminates in a female connector (also known as Lucar connectors).  Had a trial run and am well pleased, especially with the long fibres.

I now have plastic bottles, a fly swat machine and now the new one.  I shan't be getting rid of any as they all will have their uses.  One thing that struck me with the new machine was that normally I pass the end of a vacuum cleaner nozzle over the fibres at a height to pull any upward that need encouragement.  Didn't need to do that with the trial I did last night.

Tony Comber

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Completed my Luke Towan type static grass machine last night.  The ion generator was a non-branded item bought from ebay but apart from that the rest was the same as Luke describes.  I made up three screens for the front as I need to cover fibres from 2-10 mm.  One used a sieve but the other two used stainless mesh from China via ebay.  Had to be cut using a slitting disc in a mini drill (and eye protection).  The bits that fly off are very hot.  To make them interchangeable each screen has a spade terminal pop riveted to it and the wire from the ion generator terminates in a female connector (also known as Lucar connectors).  Had a trial run and am well pleased, especially with the long fibres.

I now have plastic bottles, a fly swat machine and now the new one.  I shan't be getting rid of any as they all will have their uses.  One thing that struck me with the new machine was that normally I pass the end of a vacuum cleaner nozzle over the fibres at a height to pull any upward that need encouragement.  Didn't need to do that with the trial I did last night.

Tony Comber

Nice one Tony - Glad the Ebay ION gen worked! I have two of these built - one powered via a 12v mains adapter and the other from a 9V battery built into the body. Much smaller mesh and easier to handle. I made that one out of an old tube of No More Nails and a plastic beaker!! Would like to see pics of the results!

My cheap chinese  neg ion device arrived yesterday, so building will commence when I assemble the remaining ingredients.

Good luck with the build - again, pics of the finished article would be great.

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

I have recently cobbled together my own static grass applicator, having been disappointed with the fly-swatter version. I followed Luke Towans' guidance and bought the negative ion generator from RailwaysScenics.com - sensible price with quick delivery - usual disclaimer.

I am now considering how easy it would be to have an interchangeable hopper (beaker thingy) on the end to hold the fibres. My version is a bit big for getting into restricted spaces.

I've also been experimenting with applying static grass on to a commercial grass mat, providing a base colour which can be adjusted with a quick wipe of acrylics or weathering powders. 

If I can build one, anyone can!

• RMweb Gold

I have recently cobbled together my own static grass applicator, having been disappointed with the fly-swatter version. I followed Luke Towans' guidance and bought the negative ion generator from RailwaysScenics.com - sensible price with quick delivery - usual disclaimer.

I am now considering how easy it would be to have an interchangeable hopper (beaker thingy) on the end to hold the fibres. My version is a bit big for getting into restricted spaces.

I've also been experimenting with applying static grass on to a commercial grass mat, providing a base colour which can be adjusted with a quick wipe of acrylics or weathering powders. 

If I can build one, anyone can!

I can quickly change the "hoppers" on the end of mine as the lid with the inset mesh unscrews, the power cable un-clips and the large retaining nut holding the hopper on the body simply un-does and pop the new hopper on. Good luck and for me, they are well worth the effort, especially when the more expensive ones are around £100. I know the Peco one is cheaper but the home-made version is much less than that.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

As requested; my Negative Ion grass application. Built as per Luke Towan, but not as posh. I used an old piece of 35mm pipe because I had one lying about and I used the Chips Ahoy! cup for because I was strictly forbidden - on pain of death - to touch any of containers in the kitchen cupboard. I used a power connector from an old Hornby controller and one of those cheap multi-voltage and variable polarity wall wart to power it. I am quite pleased with the result and will now invest some money buying 2 or 3 of the containers with unclippable lids and make it a bit neater.

Regards,

Tony

post-11988-0-26513900-1511025218_thumb.jpg

post-11988-0-63030000-1511025240_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Tony - looks just the job and i'm sure you enjoyed to contents of the tub before recycling it into a static grass applicator! As long as it works, its worth the effort. When I made mine, the Peco version was yet available the cheapest one was around £100, so this is one really good way to save a few pennies.

Good to see how you get on with using it on the layout.

Ian

• Like 1