Siemens Class 700 EMU - 3d print/scratchbuild

Hi folks,

I've not posted in this forum before, although I do have a thread in the layout topics forum for my oo gauge modern image layout 'Sevenoaks'.

A few weeks ago I embarked on a project to scratch build some new rolling stock for the layout. As I'm quite fascinated by the new Class 700 Thameslink EMUs built by Siemens, I set about trying to find drawings and photographs online, and from that I've devised a method for producing the bodyshells using both 3d printing and scratchbuilding techniques.

The idea is to get the components together for the leading coach and test the concept, and if the parts go together ok I'm hoping to put together a 6 coach train (the normal 8 coach formation is too long for my layout).

Attached a few pics of the progress - the cad work for the leading coach is pretty much done now, but I am waiting for couplings and wheels to arrive in order to confirm some clearances.

post-23547-0-92942700-1503801082_thumb.jpg
Firstly an exploded view of the components. The bits not being 3d printed are shown in light grey. All the coloured bits are to be 3d printed. The basic method will be to use formers at various intervals that are joined length wise using brass/aluminium rod for rigidity. On top of this framework there will be an outer skin of 0.5mm styrene that is preformed to the shape of the formers, and with the window and door apertures cut out. There are three reasons for using this method, which are:
1. It helps to maintain accuracy over large dimensions
2. It would be too expensive to 3d print complete body shells
3. The use of styrene skin means that a good crisp definition can be attained for the window and door recesses

post-23547-0-18988600-1503801954_thumb.jpg
Overall view of the assembled model.

post-23547-0-43093600-1503801083_thumb.jpg
Level crossing view

post-23547-0-86158800-1503801083_thumb.jpg
Close up view of some of the underframe detail

post-23547-0-30115500-1503801084_thumb.jpg
Close up of cab front view

post-23547-0-83588100-1503801084_thumb.jpg
Head on view

post-23547-0-34768800-1503801085_thumb.jpg
Rear view showing wide corridor connection. I hope to use a close coupling system similar to that used by Bachmann for their S-stock model.

post-23547-0-31118600-1503801082_thumb.jpg
Close up view of the bogie assembly.

Progress so far is that the formers and cab (pink parts), underframe detail (red parts) and coupler (yellow) are on order from Shapeways. The chassis part (blue) is on hold as I'm waiting for coupling parts that might change the design. Similarly with the bogies, I'm waiting for wheels and bushes to arrive so I can finalise the clearances and slots for those.

That's it for now - this is the first time I've embarked on a project of this scale so I don't know how it's going to go, but I'm enjoying it so far nonetheless! I'll be really grateful for any pointers or advice from more experienced scratchbuilders and 3d printing professionals out there.

Many thanks,

Tim

• Like 5

Excellent work...and according to modelling laws, some manufacturer might end up with an RTR one the moment you finish yours  :jester:

Hi Sarah - I don't know where I got the name Mike from in my reply, I think I saw 'MGR' and read it as Mike - too many beers today obviously! Sorry about that :laugh:

Hi Sarah - I don't know where I got the name Mike from in my reply, I think I saw 'MGR' and read it as Mike - too many beers today obviously! Sorry about that :laugh:

Hello Tim not an issue! Happens quite often. I'm guessing it was just an illusion when scrolling where you saw M from MGR and E from Sarah E and saw MikE

Thanks Simon! As I'm new to the cad forum I did have a look through the recent posts and was fascinated by all the products you've designed for lineside and station details - I will certainly be ordering a few of those in due course!

The class 700 project is rumbling along fairly well - I now have a number of components on order from Shapeways, which will probably arrive in the next week or so. Once that happens I will post regular updates on how the model goes together. There are still a number of hurdles to cross, not least the electrics, lighting and motorising but if the bodyshells go together ok I will look into offering 'ready to motorise' sets or individual coaches to order if people want them. A long way to go yet, but I'm enjoying the journey! :)

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Gary, yes I have considered that. The sides have quite deep curvature at the top and bottom which would be quite tricky to get absolutely right with brass. I'll see how I get on with styrene - may end up using brass depending on how it goes! :)

Hi all - a quick update, as some of the parts arrived from Shapeways today. I have to say I'm absolutely gobsmacked by how well they've printed, they have done a great job. The chassis, bogies and rear fairings are still awaiting some other parts before I can fix the design so they won't arrive for a couple of weeks yet. But I'm really excited to see how these bits have come out.

I have given the SLA/FUD parts a very light dusting of primer just so that I can see the surface detail, and whilst there is some stepping and roughness, that can be easily sorted with a bit of careful sanding and filling.

The vestibule parts I've printed in WSF, and they're a little bit more woolly. I don't mind this too much as they're more structural than visual parts, and won't be seen once the shell and roof skin panels are in place.

Anyway without further a do, here is what arrived today:

post-23547-0-13082000-1504547683_thumb.jpg

Overall view of components printed so far

post-23547-0-49022400-1504547684_thumb.jpg

Close up of underframe part - not too much to show here, it will look more interesting when it's attached to the chassis!

post-23547-0-98257800-1504547684_thumb.jpg

Some of the finer detail bits on the underframe - I was worried about how these would come out, but they've turned out ok

post-23547-0-66309000-1504547682_thumb.jpg

The cab and dellner coupling/snowplough - 20p piece for scale.

post-23547-0-18072300-1504547682_thumb.jpg

The cab, with coupling piece attached - had to put it up against the board as it doesn't stand up with the plough fitted. There is some quite noticeable stepping on the coupling part, but hopefully I'll be able to improve this a bit with some finishing.

post-23547-0-05079300-1504547684_thumb.jpg

This is the roof module - I don't think I posted any pics of the CAD for this, but it was sort of thrown in at the last minute when I realised I'd forgotten it! It sits in the middle between the two vestibules. Some etched grilles will be going into the recesses on the top.

post-23547-0-56859400-1504547683_thumb.jpg

The vestibule section - as mentioned this is a little bit woolly, although I will try and smooth it off a bit. I was surprised the fine door detail came out as well as it did!

That's it for now, please feel free to leave comments/feedback :)

Many thanks,

Tim

• Like 6

Might the cab ends be better in HDA? Not worth doing the rest of the components in it but I think the curves would come out better in it. Word of warning though, it can warp as it sets, although I (again) think that the cab design should be Ok

Might the cab ends be better in HDA? Not worth doing the rest of the components in it but I think the curves would come out better in it. Word of warning though, it can warp as it sets, although I (again) think that the cab design should be Ok

Mmm, good question - I might get one printed and see how it comes out, thanks for the suggestion :)

Hi Tim,

Excellent work as usual. Waiting to see this progress. I wanted to do this myself but in N gauge. Need to sort out scale drawings first.

Cheers!

Thanks Sarah, hopefully it will start to come together a bit more when I've got the chassis and bogies done. Which train/loco were you going to model in N scale?

Love it, absolutely fantastic!

1 x 8 car unit for me please :)

Simon

Thanks Simon! :) You must have a sizeable layout to accommodate an 8-coach EMU - the biggest I can fit on the platforms is 6 coaches!

Evening all! I've made a bit of progress on the 700 project this weekend so thought I would post a quick update. Nothing earth shattering I'm afraid, but things are chugging along well I think.

The couplings from Keen systems arrived a couple of days ago, so I was able to integrate that geometry into the chassis and rear fairing parts, and the cad is now finished, uploaded and parts on order. While measuring up for clearances with the coupling I needed to finalise the dimensions of the gangway, so this part is also now made and on order (screenshots below).

I've also spent some time on finishing and painting the cab part, which has scrubbed up looking not too bad and I'm quite pleased with it! :)

Anyway here's a few pics of progress this week:

post-23547-0-64852100-1505068307_thumb.jpg

post-23547-0-73633600-1505068308_thumb.jpg

post-23547-0-22903400-1505068309_thumb.jpg

The mug-shots! :) There is a bit of bleed-over of the yellow just under the windscreen recess but this will be covered by the windscreen itself when that is in place. At the moment I'm leaning towards vacuum forming the screen as it has compound curves. It should be possible to 3d print a mould of the shape from the cab model and form some thin clear plastic over it, but I'm expecting there to be a bit of trial and error with that! The key will be getting a crisp and accurate shape which fits neatly into the recess. It will be back-painted matt black where it sits on the recess, so from the outside it will be completely flush. A similar method will be used for the headlights, although they are going to be super fiddly. Any ideas or tips for these bits would be most welcome.

post-23547-0-26069900-1505068310_thumb.jpg

CAD of the corridor/gangway connection. This will simply stick onto the flat coach end, around the aperture.

post-23547-0-81763600-1505068309_thumb.jpg

The close couplers should allow the gangways of both coaches to sit fairly close together when on a straight section (although probably not quite as close as shown here!).

post-23547-0-80805000-1505068310_thumb.jpg

A view of the corridor connection as seen from inside the coach - obviously no one will ever get this view of the model, unless I can figure out how to fit a camera inside it! :)

post-23547-0-36600700-1505068311_thumb.jpg

And the completed chassis plate. I decided to combine the seating with the chassis as an integral part, because the base of the seats will sit across the top of the two channels where the brass beams will sit, keeping them in place and hopefully keeping the whole piece straight. There is also webbing on the underside of the part which should help with rigidity.

Shapeways have given a dispatch estimate of 13th September, so with any luck the parts will be here this time next week, and I can start assembling the coach body.

That's all for now, thanks for looking and comments/feedback welcome as always :)

Tim

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That looks fantastic, I look forward to seeing the final result.  It is a very impressive piece if modelling.  The Keen couplings are a good idea, I found I needed a bit of lubrication on mine, but I'm wondering if the width if the gangway might mean you need to leave a bit more of a gap than normal between the vehicles.  Whether or not that's the case, have you thought of something like black tissue paper attached inside each side and across the top to fill in the gap?  I'm not sure it'd work, just thinking out loud, after all it will look even more odd than normal to see down the inside of a model on corners!  Great work though, the cabs look spot on.

Hi there JDW - thanks very much for the kind comments, really appreciate it. I think you're absolutely right about the keen couplings - it won't be until the coaches are assembled that I will find out how well they work with the gangways but I suspect they will need a bit more clearance than usual. The layout it's being built for has mostly continuous and fairly gentle curves so I'm hoping they will cope ok with that but will have to see!

I like the idea of the black tissue paper - I'd not got as far as thinking about how to address that problem but that might be a neat way of doing it - lots of experimentation ahead I think! :)

• RMweb Premium

You're welcome - in hindsight the paper idea might not work, as on reverse curves you might find it slides outside the opposite gangway and gets stuck.  As you say, you'll need to experiment.  Likewise the coupling position, but as you say it depends on your curves too.   

Very true. Double curves are always the main problem with joined gangways. I don't really have a lot of sharp curves on the scenic part of the layout, but getting in and out of the fiddle yard and reverse loop might be a different story! I don't really mind too much of the gap is visible while the train is negotiating curves - it's more how it looks when on straight or gently curved track, so hopefully the gap won't be too big.The Bachmann S-Stock is the kind of thing I'm aiming for. Thanks again for the kind feedback though, and more updates coming soon :) 

• Like 1