Most of my shed is taken up by my O gauge layout and the fiddle yard of this extends over my work bench. When I am working on 4mm projects that are put to one side for a while they always end up being stuck on the fiddle yard of the O gauge layout, which isn't ideal, so I have put up a divider between the bench and layout proper, which also provides for extra shelving and tool storage.

Instead of just a plain boring shelf I have had the idea to make a dual purpose diorama out of it by laying track on the shelf and electryfing it to make a small test track for locos and to have a pit in which to place a rolling road for testing and running in locomotives.. It will also serve as a backdrop for photographs in the way many newly built industrial locomotives were hauled out into the yard for the benefit of the works photographer.

post-494-0-94200100-1503863257.jpg

Just a piece of 6mm ply of 18 ins. x 5ins. with a strip of softwood along the front edge for strength. The hole is for the rolling road. The track is some old code 100 concrete sleeper track that I had given a while ago. The sleepers are clipped along the top to hold the gauge and the rails are glued directly to the shelf. The sleepers are removed once the glue has dried.

post-494-0-10566300-1503863335.jpg

In place. It slots in and one screw holds it in place. Beginnings of infill with some left over Wills setts sheet.

All the track is now laid and has been inlaid with thick card, which has been painted a concrete colour.

post-494-0-99444300-1504031463.jpg

One track has been made dual gauge, just in case I ever build anything in 009.

• Like 4

Backdrop, made from Wills corrugated asbestos, brick and corrugated iron. The end is made from corrugated plasticard on a cardboard backing and plain plasticard for the doors..

post-494-0-96030000-1504113088.jpg

The near end has been ballasted using sand. A guard rail, a left-over from a conveyor belt kit, had been added alongside the rolling road pit.

post-494-0-17229200-1504113227.jpg

A loco on test on the rollers.

All of this has been made from things I had lying around, or have been given, so it's not cost anything and, IMO, is better than just putting the stock on a plain shelf.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10

Looking good, I also agree that using bits you have to make a layout is better than a plain shelf.

I too am making a layout from bits I have left from making previous layouts ( collie lane ).

I look forward to more updates.

Jerry.

• Like 1