potentiometer for train controller

layoutnovice

I use an iPad on the forums and with my podgy fingers I get commas in all sorts of odd places I never asked for and even with auto correct turned off all sorts of correctly spelled (spelt?) but wrong words in my communiques, except this time of course as I try and fail to prove my point.

Rob

A poor workman always blames his tools ;). Although in this case, you may well be using the wrong tool for a task that needs a decent keyboard :).

• 1 month later...

Just to piggy back on this topic, how feasible would it be to rig up a basic battery powered controller with a switch and and a potentiometer?

I'm thinking of starting a little N-gauge Inglenook and don't fancy shelling out on a proper controller!

Look here: a simple circuit for Dutch_Master's proposal:

post-12822-0-58538700-1508325644.gif

to make on a PCB - copper stripes vertical - the big oval comprising the potentiometer. 9V entering from above (blue = negative!), below to DPDT/track. Don't forget the heat sink!

Regards

Armin

Actually, there is :yes: That motor is still an inductor in principle and although the TIP3055 can handle a lot of abuse current-wise, it's only a 60V device and motor spikes can be a significant multiple of that, even on "straight" DC!

The design drawing in the post above uses a BD643, which already has a diode in it. 

furthermore just using a TIP3055, which has a Hfe as low as 5 in certain cases, ( and  typically has a hFe of 20 ) would put the pot under thermal strain , hence the darlington pair BD 643 is a far superior solution , designs with  a TIP 3055  typically are connected in a darlington formation was this very reason 

Edited by Junctionmad