Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

Haven't Bachmann done a peak

Thanks

Alan

They only ever did one limited edition (for Modelzone) in late condition without headcodes. They sell for big money now. There was an earlier version based on the Mainline tool as well.

Edit: Hattons have a second hand one for £210:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/294209/Bachmann_Branchline_32_676Z_LN_Class_45_Peak_45048_The_Royal_Marines_in_BR_Blue_Limited_Edition_for_Modelzone_/StockDetail.aspx

Edited by giz
  • Like 1

Yes I saw that one on Hattons 210 is too steep for me.

They obviously have the tooling for them still I guess?

They were a big part of the BR blue scene, it seems to be a gap that has not been filled. I think the fact only one available is a limited edition and is 210 speaks volumes.  I want a couple of run of the mill examples....we shall see come Christmas/new year as to what is planned for 2018.

If not I might bite the bullet and attempt to convert 45036

• Like 1

This is a perennial variant that surfaces with great regularity on here, by virtue of its being the single most common 'face' and livery combination of the three 'Peak' classes, at any time during their careers.  

About 170 locos to choose from, both 45s and 46s, make this the obvious nose style to produce, covering as it does a decade or more from 1976.  That Bachmann hasn't done so in its main range, is a source of never ending amazement and frustration to many.

NB: not unlike the Class 47 in BFYE with Serck rad shutters and Black headcode panels, or the Brush Type 4 in original GSYP, again with Serck shutters.

• Like 1

I have taken to making my own using Bachmann class 46 chassis with replica bodies, aftermarket bogie buffer beams and the tanks cut off of old mainline chassis.

And I have one of the old special editions that's better than anything I can do (have you tried masking the nose of a peak to spray it yellow? The different curves are a pain).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given the plethora of boiler room and triangular grille - together with nose end - combinations its a shame the nose ends are not separate mouldings as with the 37 and 40s . Would make life so much easier!

As for 47s - how about the missing boiler port variant, and as for a banger blue serck rad grille headcode fitted version ....we have only had the limited D1662 edition for what must have been the one livery they all carried ((D1671 and D1734 excepted) - or did they?

Phil

• Like 1

One of the great model railway manufacturer mysteries in life, along with ;

BR(WR) design non corridor stock

BR maroon Portholes

BR maroon Thomos

LMS / BR(LMR) Push pull sets

It is what most modellers want - transition era - now moving into the BR TOPS era

• Like 2

This is a perennial variant that surfaces with great regularity on here, by virtue of its being the single most common 'face' and livery combination of the three 'Peak' classes, at any time during their careers.  

About 170 locos to choose from, both 45s and 46s, make this the obvious nose style to produce, covering as it does a decade or more from 1976.  That Bachmann hasn't done so in its main range, is a source of never ending amazement and frustration to many.

NB: not unlike the Class 47 in BFYE with Serck rad shutters and Black headcode panels, or the Brush Type 4 in original GSYP, again with Serck shutters.

If memory serves me right Model Zone paid for the tooling for the nose end and had exclusive rights to it... whoever took over model zone assets would have the tooling and rights... I'm pretty sure Bachmann would have released a sealed beam 45 if they could have by now....

Given the plethora of boiler room and triangular grille - together with nose end - combinations its a shame the nose ends are not separate mouldings as with the 37 and 40s . Would make life so much easier!

As for 47s - how about the missing boiler port variant, and as for a banger blue serck rad grille headcode fitted version ....we have only had the limited D1662 edition for what must have been the one livery they all carried ((D1671 and D1734 excepted) - or did they?

Phil

I think 1562 was GFYE when withdrawn and the one lost in the accident near Wolverhampton in the late 1960s might have been too. The style of blue carried by 1662 was not universal - it was the earlier style with arrows behind the cab doors. I understand that pre-TOPS blue does not sell very well and for TOPS there was only around a two-year window before headcodes went to 0000 then were removed. Even so, a dominoes 47 with the headcode still glazed would be good as they lasted for quite a few years after headcodes were abandoned.

If memory serves me right Model Zone paid for the tooling for the nose end and had exclusive rights to it... whoever took over model zone assets would have the tooling and rights... I'm pretty sure Bachmann would have released a sealed beam 45 if they could have by now....

I would be surprised if rights to the tooling were indefinite. More commonly, the exclusivity is for a defined period, as with the TPO vans. 

I would be surprised if rights to the tooling were indefinite. More commonly, the exclusivity is for a defined period, as with the TPO vans. 

Or maybe in what was early days for commissioning it was indefinite and Bachmann learnt from it.  That said you'd think whoever owned that tooling would want to capitalise on it.

• Like 1

I so want Bachmann to produce one of these. I would buy two straight off.

http://petertandy.co.uk/45069_mv_27286.jpg

Just thought I would get that off my chest...

If they did do you think it would be a big seller?

I cam only see this model option as being a matter of time from Bachmann as they are the only manufacturer that produces a class 45 in oo....perhaps Andy could ask is contacts at Bachmann??  This is bound to be a big seller.

B

• RMweb Gold

I think 1562 was GFYE when withdrawn and the one lost in the accident near Wolverhampton in the late 1960s might have been too. The style of blue carried by 1662 was not universal - it was the earlier style with arrows behind the cab doors. I understand that pre-TOPS blue does not sell very well and for TOPS there was only around a two-year window before headcodes went to 0000 then were removed. Even so, a dominoes 47 with the headcode still glazed would be good as they lasted for quite a few years after headcodes were abandoned.

I guess there could be other reasons, such as the tooling has been lost, damaged or somehow modified.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Given the close links between Bachmann and this forum , incoming every month, quotes from Dennis Lovett , most recently on the 158 , that they will be aware of this thread. In fact , the fact that its title changed from simply Bachmann to Bachmann Class 45 suggests it's being monitored. Let's hope for a response from them . The sealed marker 45 with nose seems , I'm sure would be a good seller, if at a sensible price. I suppose it would need to be in the queue, in which case it would appear to be some way off, unless it's one of these special commissions we have been told about

Edited by Legend

I guess there could be other reasons, such as the tooling has been lost, damaged or somehow modified.

Roy

From what I have heard (unofficially) the tooling had been checked within the last few years and was not in an acceptable condition.

Seeing as none of the usual suspects have produced a limited edition with the sealed beam headlight ends this would seem to confirm the above, especially as I am certain that at least one organisation has asked about the possibility of producing a model.

This leaves the options of :

1) an outside firm paying for the tooling costs for a new mould or

2) Bachmann producing one in due course once the options of split box, box with bar or plain box have been exhausted.

I would have thought that Bachmann are at least thinking about option 2 in the future. However, with so many announced models still being awaited I really don't blame them if they say nothing until the possible model is at an advanced stage.

Edit: One other point is that all the manufacturers like to have a number of livery options so that the maximum number of different looking locos can be produced from a mould. Apart from 45106 in green (and some locos having white embellishments) there is, obviously, only one livery choice for a sealed beam peak.

Edited by Flood

• Administrators

Given the close links between Bachmann and this forum , incoming every month, quotes from Dennis Lovett , most recently on the 158 , that they will be aware of this thread. In fact , the fact that its title changed from simply Bachmann to Bachmann Class 45 suggests it's being monitored. Let's hope for a response from them . The sealed marker 45 with nose seems , I'm sure would be a good seller, if at a sensible price. I suppose it would need to be in the queue, in which case it would appear to be some way off, unless it's one of these special commissions we have been told about

It's not "close links" that bring the incoming and information, it's that Bachmann chose to tell people stuff. I used to get the same details when I edited MREmag. If other manufacturers were to provide the same information, then it would also appear on RMweb. As for changing the title, well "Bachmann" in the Bachmann section isn't helpful. Adding "Class 45" give readers a chance to know what's going to be in the thread without opening it up. I'd guess one of the Mods made the change for just that reason. 

Maybe one of the problems is that the model needs to be "a sensible price" but incorporate every tiny little difference between the various locos. These things are a minefield once you start looking. Gone are the days when one body moulding would do and modellers would just modify it to represent the detail differences. I recall Dennis mentioning that the original Peak had sold tens of thousands but you couldn't do that now as everyone wants each sub-class so the tooling and research costs are split between a lower number of models.

Having said this, it's a bit of a hole in the RTR diesel range and there are a lot of fans so I'd be surprised if we don't one-day see a re-tool.

• Informative/Useful 1

Best way to get one is for someone to do the conversion, then a rtr model is bound to be released.

Exactly..better get going on my conversion of 45036 then.

I seem to have opened up a bit of discussion here....which is good. As hopefully someone from Bachmann will see this thread

(I changed the thread title early on as I thought I had put class 45 in it and realised I had not)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Tons of replica class 45/1's and early class 46's out there.

Just carefully remove the buffer beams off the body and put it in the chassis or get kit buffer beam.

Dunno if anyone's tried adding a class 44 chassis to the replica 45 body, but 44's show up cheap enough.