Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

Going rate for a flush front peak is about 250pounds at the moment. A few have come up at that price.

The latest...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-676Z-Class-45-048-Peak-Modelzone-Limited-Edition-No-341-Sealed-Beam/232635069340?hash=item362a21739c:g:zdkAAOSwmphaPPez

I guess Bachmann must have a good reason for not producing one

I will now do my own conversions

Tempted to convert something like 45036 into a flush nose one but they are difficult to find. I have contacted Bachmann suggesting that they could produce one and received the stock answer about passing my query on to their development team...

• 2 months later...

I had a 45036 but flogged it on eBay ...

Bachmann are normally quite aware of what people are talking about it seems, so I wonder fithere is another reason for there still being no flush fronted peak.

I finally weakened and bought 45048 on eBay. Very nice model that I have been after for a long time. Still think that Bachmann would be onto a winner if they did another sealed beam one.

I finally weakened and bought 45048 on eBay. Very nice model that I have been after for a long time. Still think that Bachmann would be onto a winner if they did another sealed beam one.

Totally agree, and I don’t have a great need for one unless my Cornish plank ever comes to fruition, but I can see that this is a significant gap in the up and coming corporate blue area

• 4 months later...

Would love Bachmann to do another flush front 45, and in particular a 45/1. Headlight would be very nice but without would also be ok. I was one of the lucky few to get a Modelzone faulty 45048 body from Warley some years ago. £5 or £6 if memory serves me right. Not sure what was wrong with them. Looks alright to me.

There has got the be a reason why Bachmann have not independently produced one. Tooling issue or Modelzone owning the rights to the tooling are probably the reasons. It's a shame as they'd sell very well in my opinion.

• Like 3

I notice that a Modelzone 45048 Royal Marines sold on eBay for £149 in June. As far as I can tell it was put on as a Buy it Now at that price. Very lucky buyer. I paid a lot more than that for one....

• RMweb Premium

As always with eBay there’s an element of luck and being patient and not necessarily bidding high straight away. I got a Royal Marines body on a different chassis for £130 in January - it will get renumbered at some point so didn’t really bother me. - a body alone from memory went for about £85-90 the week before and a full loco for about £190 shortly before that as well. I also got one of the TMC ones a couple of years back for about the £100 mark. The real annoyance is I remember all those £5 bodies at Doncaster about 10 years or so ago but modelled early 90s Cornwall at the time! Hey ho.

I notice another 2 have gone for sale since the weekend - somebody may get lucky with the second or third one.

• RMweb Gold

Would love Bachmann to do another flush front 45, and in particular a 45/1. Headlight would be very nice but without would also be ok. I was one of the lucky few to get a Modelzone faulty 45048 body from Warley some years ago. £5 or £6 if memory serves me right. Not sure what was wrong with them. Looks alright to me.

There has got the be a reason why Bachmann have not independently produced one. Tooling issue or Modelzone owning the rights to the tooling are probably the reasons. It's a shame as they'd sell very well in my opinion.

A major alreration to the tooling would be required to Do a 45/1 correctly, by which time the model could also do with more pickups on the axles. It's one of the models long overdue a retool. Edited by pheaton

likely to be one of the last diesels to see a new model or retool with engine room lighting, independent cab lights, sprung buffers, switchable tail lights, extra pick ups, etc all the latest bells and whistles.

think it Merl Evans who said in one of the magazines a few years back that Bachmanns aim is to retool every loco they have but it will take time.

the same has been said of the Class 20 too.  Both long overdue but I suspect the 20 will get in first even if its probably the more up to date of the two.  I think the 20 is maybe modelled more than the peaks.

But the Peak quite recently got a retool by Bachmann, which while correcting the grossest errors and inadequacies inherited from the Mainline origin tooling, introduced some new dubious features all of its own!

With several other manufacturers active and a lack of virgin territory when it comes to significant UK main line diesel traction, why focus on a Bachmann retool?

• RMweb Premium

Exactly..better get going on my conversion of 45036 then.

Hate to break it to you, but 45036 went to the scrappy retaining it's split centre headcode boxes - it was pretty much the last peak with them when withdrawn in the mid-80s.

6961204355_641467c6df_k.jpg45036 Vic Berrys by surfacestock, on Flickr

IIRC, the sealed beam markers are available from the aftermarket sector (A1 and Shawplan) and it's one of the easier modelling jobs to fill redundant centre or split-centre headcode boxes and remove the detail to create a flush front.

If you also want to add the high-intensity headlight, the Replica plastic moulding is spot-on.

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 3

Hate to break it to you, but 45036 went to the scrappy retaining it's split centre headcode boxes - it was pretty much the last peak with them when withdrawn in the mid-80s.

6961204355_641467c6df_k.jpg45036 Vic Berrys by surfacestock, on Flickr

IIRC, the sealed beam markers are available from the aftermarket sector (A1 and Shawplan) and it's one of the easier modelling jobs to fill redundant centre or split-centre headcode boxes and remove the detail to create a flush front.

If you also want to add the high-intensity headlight, the Replica plastic moulding is spot-on.

I should have been clearer. I intend to flush front 45036 and then renumber it in to another 45/0

I have got some sealed beam markers about too. But will look into the Shawplan ones as well.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

By the time Bachmann release a flush front 45 with lights and sound £385 will be the rrp anyway !!

Exactly, i considered selling mine for £250 as the body grilles are incorrect for 45048 anyway but i realised i would have to pay that amount for a DCC ready one by the time they ever get released again. 

Slightly off topic, but there's definitely the opportunity to make some cash speculating in toy trains. Bachmann 4 cep were getting flogged off for 79 quid not that long ago, i wish id bought half a dozen, try finding a new one for under 200 notes!

Just need to be brave and buy up all those bargains no one wants today, and hope in 4 or 5 years time you can shift them on at a nice profit.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but there's definitely the opportunity to make some cash speculating in toy trains. Bachmann 4 cep were getting flogged off for 79 quid not that long ago, i wish id bought half a dozen, try finding a new one for under 200 notes!

Just need to be brave and buy up all those bargains no one wants today, and hope in 4 or 5 years time you can shift them on at a nice profit.

Some years ago i part exchanged my h&m and various Hornby controllers for the latest version...

Anyone want a Hornby Zero one controller cheap!!

You’d have to be in it for the long game. Some of my speculation has been widely inaccurate as well