Two new models to be announced at Old Oak Common Open Day

BR(S)

It`s not 47079 has it has no water tanks. it could also be 628 too. On the Scotrail one it looks more like 712 but could be 710

good spot with the water tanks. I couldn't quite make out the number or name of the scotrail one even freezing the video. Thought the nameplate would have been longer for 47712 though

• Like 1

From the newsletter:

Chris and Sam are attending the one day event that is Old Oak Common tomorrow! They are announcing four, yes four, new exclusive models! Please note that they won't have all of our current exclusive models on display but they will be available to purchase.

• RMweb Premium

Well from Kernows point of view they probably increase turnover and margin ( limited editions being priced more than normal production). They do carry a risk if you pick the wrong one and get landed with slow moving stock. However all those limited editions abstract income the market in general, so if I was a model shop proprietor probably struggling with increased business rates and increased prices v lower disposable income, i suspect they are not welcome.

• RMweb Premium

Really ?

The commission offers an opportunity to present something the manufacturers may feel is not likely to sell in sufficient numbers to be a catalogue item.  Many are geographically related to the area the commissioner is based in such as the many WR items commissioned by Kernow MRC.

The market might or might not be "awash with cheap items" but commissions are seldom priced at the same level and are considered collectable by many who will pay the price premium.  Many others will pay the extra just to have an otherwise unobtainable item or a different livery / number to the mainstream production.

Personally I am looking forward to hearing what KMRC has to say tomorrow.  And we now know there are to be four, not just two, announcements.

Edited by Mod3
Removed irrelevance.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Many of us can.

The commission offers an opportunity to present something the manufacturers may feel is not likely to sell in sufficient numbers to be a catalogue item.  Many are geographically related to the area the commissioner is based in such as the many WR items commissioned by Kernow MRC.

The market might or might not be "awash with cheap items" but commissions are seldom priced at the same level and are considered collectable by many who will pay the price premium.  Many others will pay the extra just to have an otherwise unobtainable item or a different livery / number to the mainstream production.

Personally I am looking forward to hearing what KMRC has to say tomorrow.  And we now know there are to be four, not just two, announcements.

Agree absolutely.  I don't buy all the 'special editions' or 'exclusives' but I do like and buy those which are relevant to me and my modelling or wider railway interest and as Rick has said they are an opportunity to produce models which are unlikely to sell in sufficient numbers or be a commercial proposition for the 'wider market'.   I have something of a suspicion that if any of the announcements are from the steam era I might well be putting down my name for them because as Rick has pointed out the commissioner does go for WR (and SR items) because Kernow tend to pick geographically related subjects.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I feel rather saddened by a couple of the above posts.Do we really need to give a thumbs down to bold initiative,investment and innovative progress ? If Chris Trerise chooses to expand R-T-R modelling to include stock which we would not have dreamt of a few years back let's be grateful for it and celebrate rather than seek to pour a dose of cold water over his and others efforts to provide a range of choice which enhances the modelling world.We aren't the ones taking the risk when all is said and done.Yes,we pay more but without such risk taking we would not have had ,for example,the Ivatt Atlantic from Locomotion,Rails Dynamometer Car (soon),Hattons 14/58XX and the many delights past,present and future from Kernow.

The perfect riposte arrived on my doorstep at 9:40 this morning.....a blue Kernow/Bachmann 4TC.It is beautifully finished and after the finicky wrestling of coupling in the correct order,runs like a dream in BOTH directions pushed/pulled by the 33...in fact its free-running properties excel most of my other r-t-r stock.Simply lovely.Keep 'em coming,please.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

OK.You have been heard and vented your spleen.It's off your chest.To what purpose only you alone know.Shame you have such a jaundiced view of the world. I'm afraid you'll have to live with hype.We all do...read any newspaper or switch on your TV set.

I get "fed up" with the odd dose of sourness and negativity that occasionally crops up on this forum...But,I have to tolerate it and kerb my baser instincts.That is sometimes difficult. But hey,live and let live.Off to run my 4TC instead.

You lucky whatsit. I used to go reading to Portsmouth harbour on these. Wouldn't mind one.

Some posts have been hidden due to their inflammatory nature. Replies have also been hidden if people are wondering where they've gone.

Rather than continue in a pointless discussion can members please simply report the postings (as some have) and leave the admin team to sort things out - otherwise the argument spirals and this looked like a no win discussion.

• Like 1

Could one of the models be another version of the 4TC (London transport?) as there is a gap in the product numbers of the 4TC models already announced?

The LT set has recently had a repaint in maroon LT livery with yellow/black waistband at Eastleigh, could be a possibility?

• RMweb Premium

So how long after 10.00 will the identities of the new models be posted I wonder...

In the meantime I've just seen this from a local newspaper. Superb photo of Westerns and 47s round the turntable http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/news/celebration-of-old-oak-common-depot-s-111th-anniversary-this-saturday-1-5176079