I'm new to the site and this is my first post!

I'm planning a new layout based on my childhood memories of the NER in East Yorkshire. I spent many happy hours at Beverley when the goods facilities were still in action and was also invited into the station signal box in the mid 1970s - the experience is etched in my memory. I want to recreate the atmosphere of the GT Andrews architecture in a layout based in the 1960's. I have access to scale drawings of Filey station. But I am struggling to find much on the goods facilities - apart from a number of superb photos of the Beverley coal drops taken by Mick Nicholson. Does anyone have any scale drawings or know where I can find them - especially of the goods warehouses (for example Cottingham, Hutton Cranswick etc) and the coal drops that were so common?

I suggest North-Eastern Branch Line Termini by Ken Hoole as a good place to start.

It includes Richmond, not directly by Andrews but he was involved.

I am pretty sure Ken Hoole has covered the area a bit to the south but my direct interests lie further north.

The book I mentioned does provide a lot of general background knowledge.

There id also a 3 volume NER Record that would be worth a look for general infrastructure and details of fixtures and fittings.

bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm also looking at modelling the same area and have found it difficult to find information, especially photos of the mid-sixties era.  One book that maybe useful is 'A History of the Hull and Scarborough Railway', I can't remember whether it contained scale diagrams of the station or not, but there are quite a few useful books available from Beverley library, and if they don't have it there, if it's at another local library, you can order it through the East Riding CC website and get it sent to another library, a really cheap way of getting useful information without having to spend lot of money, some of the books also have track diagrams as well.

I know that Mick has many useful and excellent photos of Beverley, especially from Cherry Tree lane end but I'm not sure if he has any from further north.  I'm also looking for more photos from the goods yard and cattle dock at Beverley, but without much look,

Andy

Thanks for those various helpful comments. 'A History of the Hull and Scarborough Railway' is an excellent reference and includes scale drawings of Filey station plus some helpful track plans. I'm still struggling to find scale drawings of goods facilities though.

The only NER goods sheds I can think of are further north, Morpeth is still standing and smart models do a downloadable Alnwick goods shed.

Not sure how much the architecture varied across the region.

Alnwick Goods Shed is still extant - but it's at Beamish Museum.

Stamford Bridge station Goods Shed is also still extant - and in situ - although it has had a few additions to it for its new role as a sports hall

Edited by MarkC
  • Like 1

I have Railway Stations of the North East by Ken Hoole, published by David & Charles in 1985 (ISBN 0 7153 8527 5) which has a chapter on "York to Scarborough and the work of G T Andrews". Copies appear on ebay quite regularly. It's a bit light on detail about goods facilities but it does contain a part elevation and cross-section of the goods shed at Seamer, drawn by Bill Fawcett. Bill's own website - http://www.railwayarchitecture.org.uk/Introduction.htm - may have more information.

The three-volume history of NER Architecture may have something more relevant. I only have the first volume and don't have it to hand at the moment but I'll check to see if there's anything that covers the area you're interested in.