Kernow MRC announce four new exclusive editions at Old Oak Common Open Day

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

High-capacity 2+2 airline seating, high-backed seats of a different design to previous (but similar to their HST trailers) and in all seated coaches the lighting is set at a low level for night-time use rather than the normal brightly lit daytime setting.  The last has also been the case when the coaches have been used for the daytime "VegEx" Cornwall - Exeter relief services.

To add to Gwiwer's reply - the usual formation is (in order) 4 x SLEP, 1 x RFB (seating towards SLEP coaches), 1 x TSO, 1 x BUO. Most of the time the SLEPs are towards London when leaving Penzance (although the train can reverse en-route).

In the summer, as noted, an extra SLEP may be added as may an extra seating coach. I have seen the latter as both an extra TSO or an extra BUO.

Hope that helps,

​Roy

BUO: Brake Unclassified Open

RMB: Restaurant Miniature Buffet

SLEP: Sleeper Either Class with Pantry

TSO: Tourist Standard Open / Trailer Standard Open

So, yes, they have a buffet.

As for Hornby’s models, somebody else will have to answer that.

Roy

Thanks everyone. To make a rake then, I will get 4 Sleeper coaches, but for the other 3 coaches (1 x RFB (seating towards SLEP coaches), 1 x TSO, 1 x BUO), should I just get 1x GWR Buffet Mk3 and 2x TSOs as I don't think Hornby produce BUOs?

Thanks 

Edited by hamish_barb

• RMweb Premium

As I mentioned above no-one makes the Mk3B BUO coaches nor anything closely resembling them.  You do need a brake vehicle in the train.  The absence of that will very likely stand out.

The RFB is different from an HST coach but if you just want to represent rather than accurately model the train you can get away with the HST version.

Now you know why I chose to represent earlier versions using IC "raspberry ripple" and the "Merlin" and "Fag packet" liveries which have the same Mk3 sleepers but used Mk2 sitters which can be quite readily sourced and adapted for purpose without much difficulty ;)

Thanks everyone. I am finalising my purchase, and in order to make the most realistic rake as possible with what Hornby offer, should I therefore get 4x sleeper coaches, 1x buffet and 2x TSO?

I understand some members have noted above how the TSO is not the BUO, but with what Hornby currently offer, is my above mentioned rake ok in terms of the closest I can get to the real thing?

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I am finalising my purchase, and in order to make the most realistic rake as possible with what Hornby offer, should I therefore get 4x sleeper coaches, 1x buffet and 2x TSO?

I understand some members have noted above how the TSO is not the BUO, but with what Hornby currently offer, is my above mentioned rake ok in terms of the closest I can get to the real thing?

Thanks

Sounds good, you will need a buffet with 4 big windows.

• RMweb Gold

Will the Hornby GWR Buffet somewhat suffice? As I'm not sure where else I could get one. I'm new to the hobby

It will have to do if you don't want to repaint. It has only 3 big windows. Compare these two to see the difference:

https://www.Hornby.com/media/catalog/product/cache/11/image/550x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/r/4/r4779_1.jpg

https://www.Hornby.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/750x350/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/4/r4603.jpg

I am on it again Wednesday night, if I remember I will take some photos for you.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

As a representation of the stock used then the current-release sleepers, buffet and standard open will suffice.  At the entry level to the hobby they present the train in a reasonable ready-to-run approximation.  

We all start somewhere.  It would be unfair to press the point on number of windows, lack of a brake etc for now knowing that the enquiry is being made by someone new to the hobby and potentially without the intermediate modelling skills and a workbench / tool collection required to enable conversion to an accurate model.  

One step at a time.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you everyone. The buffet differences aren't too bad and I will therefore be going ahead and purchasing this.

The BUO looks quite a bit different, is there anything else closer than the TSO that can model it?

I guess the TGS looks a bit closer, 7 big windows but a small one that should not be there. Probably the route I would take: https://www.Hornby.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/750x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/r/4/r4780_1_1.jpg

Roy

Do the BUOs have the same window layout as they did earlier as BFOs running elsewhere?

If so, there was etched side conversion kits available for BFOs, but that would entail a repaint and trying to match up with the Hornby colours/finish of the other coaches

Do the BUOs have the same window layout as they did earlier as BFOs running elsewhere?

If so, there was etched side conversion kits available for BFOs, but that would entail a repaint and trying to match up with the Hornby colours/finish of the other coaches

I dont think the bodyshells have been changed, just the interior seating.

• 2 months later...

Ive seen, in possibly more than 1 thread, mention of a model of 47625 City of Truro in blue. Has anyone got any firm news of whether this is a model that is likely to become available?

its a future Kernow limited edition previewed at Warley

• 2 weeks later...

Aye, it is a tough decision. To wait for a couple of years until Oxford Rail delivers high detailed Mk3 Sleepers. Or get these if they are not in gloss finish. Email sent to KMRC as to the finish and the answer shall make the decision easy for me.

Hello. I was wondering if you have had an answer to your question about a gloss or matt finish as I'm keen to know what finish they are likely to have. :-)

• 10 months later...

Sparking up an old thread here.

I noticed at Warley KMRC had several sleeveless/certificate-less locos. they seemed to have a good supply of them and at a healthy reduction, getting on for nearly half-ish price. Could KMRC be removing the sleeves/certificates to 'devalue' the locos but also as a way try to shift them on if sales are slow? As other have stated KMRC have taken a glut of specials on recently and some seem to be of dubious interest levels at a high price.

Just as an aside the business of being marked 'limited edition', I understand these days production runs are much smaller than they used to be and its not uncommon to have normal runs as low as 500 meaning many releases are limited editions in varying degrees to effect. Just some have a bit of paper and others not, its demand that affects true value. Often its the likes of eBay that finds the level of the market value of a loco, not a numbered bit of paper?

Look at some non-limited editions examples on ebay: IC liveried MK3 DVT (seen some going for nearly £200!!) and NSE 47715 (been selling for over £150 and one listed for £199) - I was told that 47715 was only produced to around 500 examples.

In my view many locos/liveries etc have been brought to market that wouldn't have appeared if not for retailer exclusives/limited eds, but others would/should have been mainstream releases. For those it means the retailer/manufacturer tie up has just lead to higher prices to the consumer sadly.

Sparking up an old thread here.

I noticed at Warley KMRC had several sleeveless/certificate-less locos. they seemed to have a good supply of them and at a healthy reduction, getting on for nearly half-ish price. Could KMRC be removing the sleeves/certificates to 'devalue' the locos but also as a way try to shift them on if sales are slow? As other have stated KMRC have taken a glut of specials on recently and some seem to be of dubious interest levels at a high price.

There is one model that was being sold without an outer sleeve, a Bachmann class 66 debranded DRS. These have been on special with Kernow for some time now as the boxes were soiled. For £75 it is a good bargain and while I was constantly toying with the idea of buying one every Friday when their newsletter came out, I succumbed and got one at Warley after seeing them first hand.

There is one model that was being sold without an outer sleeve, a Bachmann class 66 debranded DRS. These have been on special with Kernow for some time now as the boxes were soiled. For £75 it is a good bargain and while I was constantly toying with the idea of buying one every Friday when their newsletter came out, I succumbed and got one at Warley after seeing them first hand.

All day on the Saturday at least from what i can recall they had about 5-6 locos sleeveless. 66 one of them but also yellow 57, distribution 47, sub-sector 37 being others i recall. They had more under the counter so not one off's, I saw people buying them and they said leave those on display and pulled one from under the counter instead.

It could be that all these had soiled boxes and certificates. Just a coincidence maybe that they all happened to be the least interesting of their ltd ed's too.

Edited by sanspareil

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just received an email to say that my Kernow order for the GWR sleeper “day pack” has been shipped. I therefore wanted to double check the formation in which these class 57 GWR sleeper trains normally run so I’m running them correctly.

Am I correct in assuming that they have 4x sleeper coaches, and then the 3 coaches that in the day pack (standard, buffet and brake coaches)?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Anything between three and five sleepers at the London end. Lounge car next to the sleepers with the servery at the sleeping car end. Open seated next then brake at the Penzance end with the brake area next to the loco / rear of the train