Willenhall Stafford Street (1948-1958)

MarkK

I understand Willenhall Stafford Street goods yard post WWII was quite a busy yard until closure.  Does anybody have any information on the type of goods the yard may have carried.  I have trawled the internet to no avail.  

Thanks in advance

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I can recall as Geography textbook when I was at school that had a map of the UK with the industries for which each town was famous. For some reason, Willenhall stood out for me and I have always recalled it: the entry being: Willenhall - Locks.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds good.

Is this link any use?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/willenhall_stafford_street/

There's a photo of the goods yard, and mention that 'The 1956 Handbook of Stations showed Willenhall Stafford Street as still having all of its goods facilities'.

Not sure what details might be in the 'handbook of stations' but might be worth a look.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith

Many thanks, I have seen that photograph.  I have also seen others during BR days where the yard was full of vans and flats, as opposed to an excess of mineral traffic.  Could one assume Wilenhalll would have been receiving a large proportion of sundry items?

Mark 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

There's a copy of the handbook of stations on eBay at the mo and looking at the page extracts it does seem to have information that will be useful in looking at goods traffic as companies using the facilities are listed. Otherwise, yes, I think the photos help in identifying the kinds of goods coming in and out of the yard.

Hope all goes well with the build.

Cheers,

Keith