Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered I & II

Strathwood

• RMweb Gold

Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered I & II £34.95 each

(Release date is confirmed as 14 September 2017)

post-10498-0-15716400-1504352281_thumb.jpg

post-10498-0-83729700-1504352297_thumb.jpg

Following in the shadows of the popular Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered series we now present the first two volumes dealing with the following decade, where blue liveries gradually eliminated the era of green & maroon locomotives along with so many of the early designs. Our selections from the colour archives will bring back those heady days before TOPS as well as the renumbering process and gradual scrapping of many of our old favourites throughout the decade.

The photographs have been chosen to include a wide choice of motive power along with a variety of locations not always seen in publications before. Not to say that many of our most popular destinations of the day are forgotten either as we visit the likes of Swindon, Bristol, Plymouth, Exeter, Cardiff, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Doncaster, York, the Woodhead Route along with a host of spots around London & the Home Counties.

All of the images have been chosen to provide both enjoyment and inspiration to enthusiasts and modellers alike and will be regarded as classics.

Print runs are limited to just 1000 copies of each title.

Each volume contains approximately 156 colour photographs spread across 160 pages, printed on high quality art paper in a large landscape format, casebound as a hardback to compliment other titles within the Days Remembered ranges.

Further details may be found both on our website and within the complimentary catalogue presented with the subscriber's copies of the next two issues of British Railway's Modelling magazine.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I like the sound of the books, I have most of the 70's Spotting Days collection. Less impressive is the £35 price tag! Limited edition or not, I for one will waiting and having a close look at them before spending £70 on the pair.

• RMweb Gold

I like the sound of the books, I have most of the 70's Spotting Days collection. Less impressive is the £35 price tag! Limited edition or not, I for one will waiting and having a close look at them before spending £70 on the pair.

As we will all have noticed that the price of energy has gone up considerably over the last few years, well here's the bad news it directly affects the cost of paper heavily, as it takes a lot of electricity to make one ton of paper. This has add on cost to both the production of the books and their cardboard packaging.Then there is the cost of shipping the books from the printers to our warehouse in a large truck with those same increased fuel costs, add to this the increased costs of heating and lighting said warehouse, then we have to allow for contributing towards any employee's pensions these days by law, and increases in their wages too. It all adds up, you know.

To put this further in perspective we have absorbed said increases for a long time, as our 160 page full colour large landscape albums have been at £29.95 for ten years until now, so this price increase is crudely equal to 1.4% inflation per annum which we have absorbed continually, until now!

For those more on the ball, they would have seen that we have been offering these new titles at £29.95 for all those who order and pay for their books before 10 September, with a confirmed release date for the books of 14 September 2017. In addition we also have an extra offer if you spend more than £50 in one go just now, you can choose an extra £19.95 book from our extensive range FREE. That is £89.85 worth of books for £59.90 if you take both of these new titles just now, plus £2.95 Postage & Packing (also subsidised by us by the way). That's a 33% price discount on that offer...

Whats more you are protected by both our money back guarantee and the Distance Selling Regulations which allow you to return items for up to 28 days.

So standing up for those of us who work seventy hours a week at below the national minimum wage to bring our happier customers the products they ask us for, I am happy to take critics on the chin, as my glass will always be considered half full rather than half empty.

I am sure there are many fellow cottage industry suppliers out there who would agree with me on this assessment.

Just to give even more fair play to this I am extending the pre-release discount by another three days, as today is a Sunday as I am still at work as I write this just to allow a few more to take advantage of the offer, if they feel that our pricing is too harsh for their pockets.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"For those more on the ball, they would have seen that we have been offering these new titles at £29.95 for all those who order and pay for their books before 10 September, with a confirmed release date for the books of 14 September 2017. In addition we also have an extra offer if you spend more than £50 in one go just now, you can choose an extra £19.95 book from our extensive range FREE. That is £89.85 worth of books for £59.90 if you take both of these new titles just now, plus £2.95 Postage & Packing (also subsidised by us by the way). That's a 33% price discount on that offer..."

Which is exactly what I've done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

These two are certainly the best sellers so far from our five new releases with just over 400 of each of the 1000 available taken up already, just to confirm we are getting through the orders as fast as we can. Thanks too for those who have emailed or telephoned with kind words of approval about both their quality and contents.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

These two books are well worth having. Lots of good photos I have not seen before plus I like the large landscape format. There have been a few rather poor colour albums from other publishers recently. The photo reproduction in these two is in a completely different league. 

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased with these two, as we are just approaching half the print run being sold already, thanks everyone who has emailed or telephoned in with kind words about the books. I think we might produce a third volume next year after all.

Thanks, again.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2017 at 21:35, robertcwp said:

These two books are well worth having. Lots of good photos I have not seen before plus I like the large landscape format. There have been a few rather poor colour albums from other publishers recently. The photo reproduction in these two is in a completely different league. 

+1!

Finally got round to acquiring this pair of albums, fantastic Christmas present, for me the 1970 scenes at Horton Road are the best of the best, in volume two. But both vols are lovely productions, excellent print quality and reproduction, and both came cellophane wrapped, protecting the books.

Highly recommended, and especially at the mo with Strathwood 3 for 2 offer.

Cheers,

Keith

• Agree 1