A Portuguese Streamliner

844fan

Hey all,

Was recently talking with a good friend from Portugal and he showed me a photo he had gotten from his Railway Club. He compared the engine to the A4s of Portugal though that was at their appearance being very stunning for the most part. Anyway I want to learn more on said locomotive even though it is a broad gauge it's quite the looker.

Photo here used with permission from my friend Walt: portugal_s_streamline_engine___1940_by_w

IMHO this engine looks lovely and it's probably just me but if Thunderbird 1 was ever a loco I think this would be a great base to start off from.

Like I said I don't even know the class number let alone her name so any help her is much appreciated.

Thank you everyone,

844fan

• Like 4

This is CP no. 503, a 4-cylinder compound 4-6-2, one of a batch of eight built by Henschel in 1925 (nos. 501-508).  This locomotive was rebuilt in the semi-streamlined form shown, at Barreiro Works, in 1940,  It was converted back to its original form in 1948.  The type survived until 1971, but none are preserved.

I have side elevation drawings of the non-streamlined form (ironically from 1946, when 503 was still semi-streamlined).  I believe photos of the streamlined form are quite rare.

• Like 1

This is CP no. 503, a 4-cylinder compound 4-6-2, one of a batch of eight built by Henschel in 1925 (nos. 501-508).  This locomotive was rebuilt in the semi-streamlined form shown, at Barreiro Works, in 1940,  It was converted back to its original form in 1948.  The type survived until 1971, but none are preserved.

I have side elevation drawings of the non-streamlined form (ironically from 1946, when 503 was still semi-streamlined).  I believe photos of the streamlined form are quite rare.

Pitty that there are so few photos of it's class streamlined. Would you possibly be willing to allow me to see the line drawings you have from that I'm sure I can make a reasonable take on the shroud. If you know anyone with photos of the streamlined versions ask them if I could see them too. Only asking you understand I fully realize why yould rather not if that is how you feel just thought I would ask.

Hi Joey, sure I can send you some scans - but may need a day or six before I can hook up the scanner.

That would be wonderful my friend. No worries on the wait I can fully understand I just rearranged everything in my room to better suit me but I had to put a lot up as well so no rush. Thank you very very much.

To keep the thread ticking over in the meantime, here's a photo of 503 - after de-streamlining - in a scrapline at an unknown location and date.

https://trains.smugmug.com/Photos-of-70s-trains/Locomotiva-via-larga/i-wPvrth6/A

A shame to see such a splendid engine at the worst point in her life. Really though the cylinder block looks quite small for a engine this size especially since her shrouding make it look much bigger. Ah but that is why shrouds are put on in the first place to hide the less savory parts.

All in all I can see basically where all the Streamlined Shroud went already. Should be easy enough to make a reasonable look alike once I have that side view. Eddie my friend you never cease to amaze my friend. Thanks again.

• RMweb Premium

Really interesting images. Pic#53 of CP0190 - that building is still there, casa da crianca in Peso de Régua. A few miles east of Porto.

That semi-streamliner in the op is quite something.

Cheers for posting those.

• Like 1

The apparently small cylinder size is due to the compound arrangement - smaller diameter high pressure outside cylinders on the outside (though the photos and drawings I've seen so far only show the same side), larger diameter low pressure cylinders on the inside.

The apparently small cylinder size is due to the compound arrangement - smaller diameter high pressure outside cylinders on the outside (though the photos and drawings I've seen so far only show the same side), larger diameter low pressure cylinders on the inside.

Ah so kind of like the LNWR Teutonic class in the fact that they had smaller outside cylinders and larger inside ones. Though I have no doubt that these engine worked a lot better than the old LNWR design which is a shame since the Teutonics were a hansome bunch but poorly designed in valve gear setup. Seriously having a set of wheels that only went in the direction they last turned with a pair controlled by the drive was asking for trouble.

501 was the last of the class in service and was being kept for the National Collection. Sadly it was involved in a fatal collision in 1971 by Contumil depot and written off. 

The day before we had a run down the Douro Valley from Regua to Porto behind 501 possibly its last working.. 

I did not know CP had joined the 1930s streamlining craze. Thanks for the photo.

501 was the last of the class in service and was being kept for the National Collection. Sadly it was involved in a fatal collision in 1971 by Contumil depot and written off. 

The day before we had a run down the Douro Valley from Regua to Porto behind 501 possibly its last working.. 

I did not know CP had joined the 1930s streamlining craze. Thanks for the photo.

Ah pitty another engine that fell victim to someone's carelessness not to mention the lives of her crew and anyone who were on either train. Unless they had been using more modern signaling setups and not the old signalbox system if that's the case darn malfunctions. 

Well that must of been a thrilling ride I must say she looks like she could of given a A3 a decent race. Ah I was born far too late to have had such wonderful opportunity but I hold hope to ride behind all three UP steamers one day and if I'm truly lucky have a view of 844's cab. That lady and me we go back to the very beginning of my love of steam along with a certain blue tank engine who she served to help into my side of the pond. "Reach for the wind, Reach for the whistle go where the railway runs. Reach for the words, Reach for the story follow the Rainbow Sun! To a Shining Time Station, where dreams can come true, your own imagination waiting there for you."

Pardon my reminisceing just rembering happier times with my mother.

I can't take credit for the photo alone Fenway my friend Walt and his Railway club are the ones who posted it on Deviant Art as it is club property and Walt was the one they gave permission to post it. But I will say your welcome from both of us glad to have given you a look at this beauty.

Edited by 844fan