Bachmann 47 underframe tanks

tractor_37260

50030 > Has anyone got pics of the right and wrong tanks fitted to 47001 as that's next on my wish list. Thanks.

The first photo shows 47 001 fitted with the correct early style (with water) tanks. Some 47 001 models were fitted in error, with Class 57 ? tanks, as per this photo

http://www.hattons.co.uk/82880/Bachmann_Branchline_31_659_Class_47_0_47001_in_BR_Blue_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

The photo of 47 164 (union Jack) shows that Class 57 tanks have been wrongly fitted, the tanks should be the same as 47 001 in the first photo.

The third photo shows the long range tank version fitted to 47/7's 47/8's etc. an aux fuel tank being fitted around one end of the battery boxes.

The last photo shows the Battery boxes only type, fitted to numerous members of the class.

post-2215-0-77371400-1504617648_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-76279000-1504617810_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-97109200-1504618198_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-25376700-1504618264_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Its also worth noting that Bachmann's D1547 had the wrong Class 57 battery boxes/tanks

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=FnXEiu2p&id=4E28D2F46A865026580FC0FE9C891CBDB6B7FC84&thid=OIP.FnXEiu2pN-2aKhraMckrEgEyDM&q=Bachmann+d1547&simid=608047691583325660&selectedindex=18&mode=overlay&first=1

And that unless I am very mistaken all locos originally entered traffic with the original battery boxes/tanks as per the 47001 photo above whether they had boilers or not. Changes were an evolutionary process.

Phil

Just to complicate matters further the 47710 model has incorrect twin tanks, well slightly incorrect to be fair, these are the later design for 47821 onwards and 47721 onwards (discounting the original 47650-665 batch that became res 47/7s later in life). Heljan got the 47/7 tanks on their scotrail 47 spot on. 

Just to complicate matters further the 47710 model has incorrect twin tanks, well slightly incorrect to be fair, these are the later design for 47821 onwards and 47721 onwards (discounting the original 47650-665 batch that became res 47/7s later in life). Heljan got the 47/7 tanks on their scotrail 47 spot on. 

Wow!!! another detail to add to the list of minefields when modelling Class 47s! I've got several and never noticed!!!

For anyone wishing to fit the CORRECT tank assembly to their models of 47 001 and 47 164, they are available from the Bachmann Spares Dept part No ASM5 @ £5 +P&P. It's perhaps debatable that one has to pay for the correct part, when the wrong part was fitted in the first place, but hey ho ................. 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

For anyone wishing to fit the CORRECT tank assembly to their models of 47 001 and 47 164, they are available from the Bachmann Spares Dept part No ASM5 @ £5 +P&P.

I presume pristine and weathered versions are available to cover both models of 47001, but what about 47164? Presumbly not white/silver ones. Maybe I should ask...

Does anyone know if these correct tanks will fit on the first 47/0 releases? These had a different lighting switch arrangement on the undersides of the tanks. Would prefer to know before I open my 1764 up.

Edited by brushman47544

Just to clarify, having raised the wrong tanks issue on 47001 with Bachmann when first available, my understanding is that all models were fitted with the wrong tanks from the factory. Bachmann ordered in replacements which they fitted to all the 47001s still in their warehouse. So unless a retailer is still selling their original stock, all 47001s supplied by Bachmann should now be fitted with the correct tanks.

Thankfully, my own weathered 47 001 came fitted with the correct tank assembly.  Unfortunately 47 164 (Union Jack) was also wrongly fitted with 57 style tanks..............

I presume pristine and weathered versions are available to cover both models of 47001, but what about 47164? Presumbly not white/silver ones. Maybe I should ask...

Does anyone know if these correct tanks will fit on the first 47/0 releases? These had a different lighting switch arrangement on the undersides of the tanks. Would prefer to know before I open my 1764 up.

I think I stumbled across this when I was taking a body off, the tank moulding popped off fairly easily and the switch assembly just slotted into a space in the tank moulding. you'll probably find there is a little give in the wiring that it could be moved to a different position for an alternative tank moulding

The one I was looking at had the later battery box only moulding so no water tanks and no extended range fuel tanks

47 164  - correct Silver tanks are not available, only Black un-weathered as spares - although easy enough to paint if necessary.   D1764 - going by photos on Hatton's, should ? already have the correct early style tanks fitted.

.http://www.hattons.co.uk/17973/Bachmann_Branchline_32_801_Class_47_0_1764_in_BR_Two_Tone_Green_with_Full_Yellow_Ends/StockDetail.aspx

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

47 164  - correct Silver tanks are not available, only Black un-weathered as spares - although easy enough to paint if necessary.   D1764 - going by photos on Hatton's, should ? already have the correct early style tanks fitted.

.http://www.hattons.co.uk/17973/Bachmann_Branchline_32_801_Class_47_0_1764_in_BR_Two_Tone_Green_with_Full_Yellow_Ends/StockDetail.aspx

I can assure you that 1764, mine bought from Hattons, has the 57 tanks.

Surprised Bachmann only has unweathered versions as spares. They must have had some weathered ones to fit to all those weathered 47001s delivered with the wrong tanks.

>> That's very odd - once again perhaps some of the models had the tanks changed at the warehouse ?  the above Hatton's 1764 photo shows the correct tanks fitted..............................

Surprised Bachmann only has unweathered versions as spares. They must have had some weathered ones to fit to all those weathered 47001s delivered with the wrong tanks.

>> Not when I requested spare ones - un-weathered only avail - perhaps all the weathered versions they had were used up replacing the wrong 47 001 ones ? 

Thankfully, my own weathered 47 001 came fitted with the correct tank assembly.  Unfortunately 47 164 (Union Jack) was also wrongly fitted with 57 style tanks..............

Have any trouble taking the body off? I had one of these and the weathering had stuck the body to chassis. When I got it off it took the little yellow front step off as well

Have any trouble taking the body off? I had one of these and the weathering had stuck the body to chassis. When I got it off it took the little yellow front step off as well

Not had the body off 47 001 yet......but had the sticking steps problem on L/L 47 436 - some of these steps were stuck to the body and chassis !  they stuck out too far anyway, and being yellow made it all the more obvious, as they were not properly fitted into the small recesses in the chassis front...............

• RMweb Gold

I have had no end of problems getting bodies off a number of Bachmann 47s. The glazing clips seeming to be attached to the chassis as well being a common problem.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

First thing I do ad soon as I have body off on bacchy 47s is remove those verdammt glazing clips on the bottom of the door windows glazing. Doesn't need them and it's just a recipe for the glazing to come loose when you refit the body...

Phil

Yes, I agree, those glazing clips are a pain in the butt.

I had to return the 47001 I had....and he said they were all similar.

Must get round to rebuilding 47078 after its fall, I’ve got all the bits from Bachmann

I have had no end of problems getting bodies off a number of Bachmann 47s. The glazing clips seeming to be attached to the chassis as well being a common problem.

Roy

A wee tip that may help with removing Bach 47 bodies, once all the screws are out, use a small flat jewelers screwdriver directly under the cab doors at the chassis, carefully push the SD up between the body and chassis to release the clips that are part of the cab door glazing. 

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

>> That's very odd - once again perhaps some of the models had the tanks changed at the warehouse ?  the above Hatton's 1764 photo shows the correct tanks fitted..............................

>> Not when I requested spare ones - un-weathered only avail - perhaps all the weathered versions they had were used up replacing the wrong 47 001 ones ? 

I've had another look. You're right, 1764 does not have the Class 57 tanks as fitted to D1547, 47001 and others. But equally it doesn't have the correct tanks either! No idea what version they are or just wrong, but if you look at the right extremity of the tanks on 1764, there is a piece angled at 45 degree. On the correct tanks it's squared. There are other errors too.

Of the first batch, D1500, 1764 and 47035 were all the same.

Edited by brushman47544

I've had another look. You're right, 1764 does not have the Class 57 tanks as fitted to D1547, 47001 and others. But equally it doesn't have the correct tanks either! No idea what version they are or just wrong, but if you look at the right extremity of the tanks on 1764, there is a piece angled at 45 degree. On the correct tanks it's squared. There are other errors too.

If I remember rightly the first batch of 47s had a lot of class 57 parts including tanks and bogies and they wobbled whilst running.  When 47474, 535 and 612 were released the errors had been corrected. 

I can see what your meaning, are the tanks on your 1764 not the same as the silver ones on 47 164 Union Jack photo at top of this thread ? they are 57 tanks

Perhaps a photo of the tanks fitted to your 1764 may help to clarify what type they are.....

If I remember rightly the first batch of 47s had a lot of class 57 parts including tanks and bogies and they wobbled whilst running. When 47474, 535 and 612 were released the errors had been corrected.

As above most of the issues were resolved when the 47/4's were released but sadly the front cab window rivets are still present on 47/0's..... Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

I can see what your meaning, are the tanks on your 1764 not the same as the silver ones on 47 164 Union Jack photo at top of this thread ? they are 57 tanks

Perhaps a photo of the tanks fitted to your 1764 may help to clarify what type they are.....

No, the tanks on 1764 are not the same as on 47164. They are exactly as in the Hatton's photos.