LIMA Inside Framed 'Siphon G'. Thoughts on prototype and detailing.

• RMweb Gold

Another recent acquisition has been a couple of LIMA inside framed GWR livery 'Siphon G's' Both are in excellent condition. One has the attractive Palethorpes Sausage advertising on the sides. What is the story behind this and would the prototype have carried such a livery?

From a detailing perspective I would like to change the incorrect BR bogies to a correct GWR pattern.  Would the Bachmann  GWR bogies be suitable? I've read that bogies varied on these Siphons as well..

Thanks once again.

Mark

Edited by 46444

There were vans advertising Palethorpes sausages but none was a Siphon G.  The only Palethorpes vans built by the GWR were a couple of six-wheelers, 2801 and 2802.  John Isherwood, aka cctrans, has modelled several Palethorpes vans and I'm sure has written them up on this 'ere forum.

The first lot of inside framed Siphons G, nos. 2051-69, had 7 ft wb bogies.  2070 had 9 ft wb American bogies.  Most of the rest had 9 ft wb pressed steel bogies.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There were vans advertising Palethorpes sausages but none was a Siphon G.  The only Palethorpes vans built by the GWR were a couple of six-wheelers, 2801 and 2802.  John Isherwood, aka cctrans, has modelled several Palethorpes vans and I'm sure has written them up on this 'ere forum.

The first lot of inside framed Siphons G, nos. 2051-69, had 7 ft wb bogies.  2070 had 9 ft wb American bogies.  Most of the rest had 9 ft wb pressed steel bogies.

Chris

Thanks Chris for the informative information. The Palethorpes one will be stripped and repainted.  

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've replaced the bogies with the Bachmann 9' pressed steel one's which are available as spares and come with metal wheels, slice the turret (the round bit that clips into the floor) off the top of the Lima bogie 

and glue it with epoxy two part resin glue onto the new bogies some trimming to get the ride height correct maybe required. 

In the days before Bachmann did bogies, I used ABS cast 'heavy-duty 9' bogies, which went together very nicely. I wish Hornby would re-visit this model; it was one of the best in the Lima range. I've done about ten of them up with new bogies. Some have the much-missed 'Blacksmith' detailing pack, with the louvres for the lower side.

• RMweb Gold

A little detailing info here http://www.gwr.org.uk/prosiphonmod.html

I'm really surprised a decent model of this prototype hasn't materialised yet, something like the SR van C or bogie B wagon in detailed underframe etc

It's a shame someone like Comet doesn't do a chassis replacement as a starting point too..

• RMweb Gold

There were vans advertising Palethorpes sausages but none was a Siphon G. The only Palethorpes vans built by the GWR were a couple of six-wheelers, 2801 and 2802. John Isherwood, aka cctrans, has modelled several Palethorpes vans and I'm sure has written them up on this 'ere forum.

The first lot of inside framed Siphons G, nos. 2051-69, had 7 ft wb bogies. 2070 had 9 ft wb American bogies. Most of the rest had 9 ft wb pressed steel bogies.

Chris

See

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104787-breakfast-special-sausage-milk-cream-van-cut-shuts/&do=findComment&comment=2081824

A little detailing info here http://www.gwr.org.uk/prosiphonmod.html

I'm really surprised a decent model of this prototype hasn't materialised yet, something like the SR van C or bogie B wagon in detailed underframe etc

It's a shame someone like Comet doesn't do a chassis replacement as a starting point too..

David Geen does one in etched brass.

Chris

Thanks Chris, do you have a product code and price please.

If only it were that simple.  When David sells it to you at a show he needs to know whether the Siphon is inside or outside framed, gas or electric lighting, the type of underframe trussing and whether you want bogies and gangways.  I'm told that if you do not buy it from him at a show it is best to telephone him and no, I'm sorry but I do not know his number.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I've replaced the bogies with the Bachmann 9' pressed steel one's which are available as spares and come with metal wheels, slice the turret (the round bit that clips into the floor) off the top of the Lima bogie 

and glue it with epoxy two part resin glue onto the new bogies some trimming to get the ride height correct maybe required. 

Thanks 81C ;)  A useful tip regarding fitting the Bachmann bogies.

Hi Mark

I used the GW 9' bogies from an Airfix/GMR (now Hornby) outside framed Siphon G on mine. They certainly look the part and were an easy replacement. I'll be watching yours with interest to see if I can pick up any tips for finishing mine.

Thanks Alex. The Airfix bogies may be an option...Watch this space......;)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

If only it were that simple.  When David sells it to you at a show he needs to know whether the Siphon is inside or outside framed, gas or electric lighting, the type of underframe trussing and whether you want bogies and gangways.  I'm told that if you do not buy it from him at a show it is best to telephone him and no, I'm sorry but I do not know his number.

Chris

His next show is Scaleforum at Aylesbury 23/24 September '17

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5059

Non members welcome.

If only it were that simple.  When David sells it to you at a show he needs to know whether the Siphon is inside or outside framed, gas or electric lighting, the type of underframe trussing and whether you want bogies and gangways.....

When I finally managed to obtain an etch last year (intended for an O11), I was quite surprised by the number of possible permutations.

The etch was priced at £15 so, given that David reportedly intends to retire at some point next year, you'd do well to buy as many as you can afford if you're going to be building more than one Siphon.

In the days before Bachmann did bogies, I used ABS cast 'heavy-duty 9' bogies, which went together very nicely. I wish Hornby would re-visit this model; it was one of the best in the Lima range. I've done about ten of them up with new bogies. Some have the much-missed 'Blacksmith' detailing pack, with the louvres for the lower side.

Much missed?  I got two of these etches last year from Cooper Craft for £5 each.  Bargain.  Put my modified Lima bodies onto old mainline chassis/bogies with appropriate buffers and rebuilt battery boxes. Worked for me.  

Other options is ex articulated bogies from 247, which appeared in one lot in the late 1930's. This one is awaiting the David Geen underframe which is still sat on the shelf for the usual - when I have the time.

post-9992-0-30262800-1505029118_thumb.jpg

One challenge with all the rtr (and  kit replacements) apart from the spring length, as mentioned above is the footsteps. Along with full brakes, much shorter footsteps were fitted to non passenger stock. The special saloon bogie from 247 has the smaller foot steps, common to those used under siphons, but you will have to live with the longer springs. Bachmann passenger bogie shown for comparison.

post-9992-0-29922100-1505028187.jpg

Also 7ft bogies appeared. You can modify Airfix/Hornby B set bogies

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 2

Much missed?  I got two of these etches last year from Cooper Craft for £5 each.  Bargain.  Put my modified Lima bodies onto old mainline chassis/bogies with appropriate buffers and rebuilt battery boxes. Worked for me.  

Presumably you bought them from CC at a show? From comments on here, getting anything by any other means has been difficult in recent times. The ones I had came from the much-missed 'Mainly Trains'.

I seem to remember that Jackson Evans also produced a detailing kit for Siphons. This one may have died a death, however, since Phoenix took over the range.....

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember that Jackson Evans also produced a detailing kit for Siphons. This one may have died a death, however, since Phoenix took over the range.....

Some of Ralph's stuff is still available from Classic Trains in Leamington.

If it the same as the one I bought, the Jackson Evans kit was for the Airfix(Hornby) siphon.

Mike Wiltshire

Would that be for an O11?

Yes it was.

If anyone is interested in what the underframe of the inside frame siphon should look like the Tanfield railway have one in the yard. They have cut 2ft from it as it is going to carry the body of a 48FT coach they have.

Note again brackets for small footsteps

post-9992-0-38619900-1505123344_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-72141400-1505123356_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-82602700-1505123369_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-79452500-1505123383_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-89674100-1505123393_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Have you a product code for these, as i can find all manner of bogies from Bachmann but not these.Are they collett ones as they look slightly different?

Thanks