What lengths are these C&L point kits

Perhaps a regular user of their products can help me

As I am totally new to the world of building track

I want to order two point kits from C&L.

They are listed here

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=346_375_377_378

1.Can someone tell me please, what is the difference in overall lengths between

A4, A5, B6, B7, B8, B9

2.Can you buy point kits that use bullhead rail as I can not see any on their site?

3. I want to buy 4 lengths of bull head flex rail like this to match the points.

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=346_375_377_379&product_id=12267

It says this flexi track has thick sleepers - are the point kits above with thin or thick sleepers.

Sorry if these are obvious questions, but this is my first foray into this world.

Thanks

Steve

I want to order two point kits from C&L.

They are listed here

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=346_375_377_378

1.Can someone tell me please, what is the difference in overall lengths between

A4, A5, B6, B7, B8, B9

They get longer in the order you list them.

If you download a copy of Templot you will be able to print out templates for each to see the difference.

2.Can you buy point kits that use bullhead rail as I can not see any on their site?

All the kits you link to use bullhead rail.

As far as I know C&L don't do any point kits for flat bottom rail.

3. I want to buy 4 lengths of bull head flex rail like this to match the points.

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=346_375_377_379&product_id=12267

It says this flexi track has thick sleepers - are the point kits above with thin or thick sleepers.

Not entirely sure. Thin sleeper track can be packed up on a layer of card to match the thick sleeper track. Invisible after ballasting.

Sorry if these are obvious questions, but this is my first foray into this world.

Thanks

Steve

Regards Edited by Grovenor

The overall length of each point is shown on the website under FAQ in metric alas as shown here

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=information/faq

As far as I recall  (its been awhile) the point kits use the thin sleepers - The thicker ones are to match up with Peco code 75 track in OO, or give full depth sleepers for lightly ballasted track.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

If these kits are for 00 gauge, make sure you understand about the track standards. These kits have ready-assembled crossings (frogs) having 1.0mm flangeways and are supplied with gauges for the DOGA-Fine 16.5mm track standard.

If you build them using those gauges, ready-to-run (RTR) models from Hornby, Bachmann, etc., will not run through them as supplied, or at least, not reliably.

Essentially you have two choices:

1. modify the wheels on those models by widening the spacing of the wheels on the axles from 14.4mm to 14.7mm back-to-back. After you have done that, they won't run reliably through Peco pointwork.

or

2. discard the gauges supplied in the kits, and instead use 16.2mm 00-SF track gauges. RTR models will then run through unmodified. C&L can supply such gauges, but they are more expensive than the DOGA-Fine gauges and are not included in the kits unless you ask.

The "normal" standard for 00 RTR models is DOGA-Intermediate. However that standard requires wider flangeways than the 1.0mm flangeways supplied in these kits, so these kits can't be built to that standard.

All this has been covered many times on RMweb, sometimes generating a lot of heat. C&L has recently changed hands to a new owner, so hopefully this confusing situation will be rectified, and some of the misleading statements on their web sites amended.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

p.s. Steve,

Templot normally prints its own design of templates. However, there is a Templot file from 2008 which you can download containing templates custom-matched to the C&L 00 gauge templates:

http://templot.com/samples/cl_00_gauge_equiv.box

Here are the notes about it:

'00 Gauge templates matching C&L 00 Gauge templates for A5, B6, B7, B8 turnouts. Intended to be used when you prefer the closer than prototype timber spacings for 00 gauge, or you want to produce curved versions of C&L templates, or you have existing trackwork which has been built on C&L templates and want to include it in your Templot track design. To preserve the shoved timber spacings do not mint from these templates (e.g. via the "NEW" function).'

Here is the screenshot:

cl_00_equiv_screen.png

Here is the B7 template printed out:

cl_00_equiv_print.png

Martin.

Steve

Ask for the thin timbers to be exchanged for the thick timbers, better still as for them to be exchanged for the Exactoscale timbers as the thick flexi track is actually Exactoscale. In my opinion far superior to the C&L product.

C&L do do flat bottom products using the ST baseplates and code 82 rail, no pre-made common crossings, vees or switch rails

If working in 00 gauge buy a set of 00sf gauges, perfect for 00 gauge hand built track using the pre-made common crossings as supplied within these kits

It is a bit of a mine field for uninitiated.

So thank you all very much for your responses

It is appreciated,

Steve

In the old days it was simple 2, 3 or 4 foot radii. To be quite honest not too much has changed, as a rule of thumb for hand built track *though most will differ) smaller radii is an A5, medium A or B6, Large B7. having said this an A5 will be just over 4' radius in old money

Edited by hayfield