best Bachmann 37/0?

swiftbeam

Hi,

I'd really like a model of the class 37/0 D6948 found on the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway, green, small yellow ends.

Bachmann made a model of a 37/0, product number 32-778, not the same running number, but seems very close in body detail.

Is this Bachmann version OK or does it have an 'old school' mech and inferior body detail? 

If it's old, would it be worth buying the body and a modern chassis??

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

32-778 is the original Bachmann 37  - and is based on an RSH built loco, note the extra bars in the cantrail grilles which are the give aways

You might be better off with http://www.hattons.co.uk/52592/Bachmann_Branchline_32_782A_Class_37_0_D6984_BR_Green_Centre_Head_Code_Weathered/StockDetail.aspx

which is a VF built loco - and is the later body and chassis to boot. The D6984 model is as built with a boiler fitted - later removed and refitted in 47s - and as D6948 is currently a steam heat loco

http://gwrdieseldept.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/gwr-diesel-gala-this-weekend.html

then that works for you too!

Have a look at our layout thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11410-abbotswood-junction-next-outing-redditch-show-filming-first/page-39 to see why we like D6948 too!

Hope that helps

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that.

So it seems I'm on the lookout for a Bachmann Branchline  32-782A

Welcome!

That loco is supplied weathered however - are you hoping for a pristine finish?

Changing the lamp irons and headcodes will get you even closer to a faithful reproduction....

Kind regards

Phil

Hi,

Yes, I understand I'll have to respray, lamp irons and head codes can be done at the same time :-)

What strikes you the most when 'train spotting' is how dented and shiny these engines are.

Manufactures should really start adding the dents into the panels and putting on a stain finish.

The models can be awesome these days, but so flat and perfect, engines are just not like that.

Hi,

Yes, I understand I'll have to respray, lamp irons and head codes can be done at the same time :-)

What strikes you the most when 'train spotting' is how dented and shiny these engines are.

Manufactures should really start adding the dents into the panels and putting on a stain finish.

The models can be awesome these days, but so flat and perfect, engines are just not like that.

Then a whole production run would have the same dents.......they are probably like that as they are almost 50 years old !

The other thing with the model of D6984 is the small riveted panel just above the buffer beam in the centre of the front. These panels don't appear to have been present when the locos were built, but appeared sometime in the late '60's/ '70's, possibly for strengthening? I suspect few had them whilst in green livery, certainly with the Small Yellow Panels that were superceded from 1966.

If you want a model of the loco "as new" you'll need to remove this panel at each end - not difficult with some careful shaving with a square end blade.

John.

• RMweb Gold

32-777 and 32-781 are correct but blue - VF build loco unrefurbished with buffer valances - if you are prepared to respray

Available too....

https://www.thejunctionbox.net/shop/Bachmann-diesel/Bachmann-32-777/

And John is certainly correct re those strengthening plates - take a look at Brush Veteran's photo stream, none in GSYP with them fitted but plenty of GFYE and BFYE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/albums/72157627818608793

And locos without them have plenty of dents.....

I have a feeling D6948 was reverse engineered in this area and the plates removed - and the ribbed edging replaced

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Great info, thanks.9

32-777 seems to have an old type roof fan with the mesh under the plastic, also no nose rails.

32-781 seems to have the fan mesh in the correct place but two 'things' over the head code boxes (easy to remove). Also has the correct nose rails in place.

If these are the only differences, 32-781 seems to be the one to go for if 32-782a is not available.

If you could confirm this for me please :-)

Thank you .

• RMweb Gold

Those are the difference between the old and the new bodies

Hand rails easy to sort - 0.45mm NS wire

"Things" are headboard clips - also used to mount the headlamp as used for Central Wales line, see 6931 in Brush Veteran's thread

And if roof fan vexes you - and wont be a problem if you are going to respray - then fit one from Extreme etchings

32-781 is the better model however - new body shell and chassis, same as 32-782A

Phil

32-782A is one of the many unrefurbished Bachmann 37s that suffers from the gouge in the bodyside under the cantrail grilles.  The gouge is the reason tht I didn't buy it.  I was going to buy 3 or 4 and renumber, but I just can't live with that glaring error.

• RMweb Gold

Aware this caused issues but we live with it too - not so conspicuous at usual viewing distances on our matt finished weathered locos

Theres a pair here 9.00 onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygQG8gXOtUQ

And Shenstone Road live with it too - post 322

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85490-on-shenston-road-a-few-bevs-and-a-western-chieftain/page-13

Its horses for courses ! if something draws your eye and offends it wont be right for you - period. But if you are creating an overall scene to which the model contributes more than the issues detract then that's a winner isn't it?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

I can't see a "gouge", can you you ring it?

I have now bought a mint 37/0 for a great price from a good seller. Whatever the incorrect detail, it will be corrected as I will be totally remodelling it after a more research orientated visit to Gloucester Warwickshire Railway to look at their restored 37/0. Detail corrected, repainted and renumbered.

I prefer the original release for the skirted 37. The noses aren't so bulbous in order to have lighting boards and the cab windscreens appear larger and better with the glazing more flush. Also the gap between the bogies and the body appears smaller giving a better sense of weight and you don't get the "gouge", which bothers people so much. The skirts are a bit wrong on the original; maybe too low but if you're stripping a loco and re-building then you could get the Shawplan noses and the excellent EE roof fan and grille. Lighting is a different matter but nicer lighting from "Stickswipe" on ebay can sort that out.

OK, so now I'm getting the impression this will not be a simple remove small detail, fill a groove, repaint and number.

I have no knowledge of these small business that support after market parts in 4mm. I have looked on Shawplan's website, and as a 'layman', all I see is listings with no pictorial help what so ever.

​In order to ged my Bachmann loco remodelled correctly to D6948, I am going to need parts. Can anybody give me a list of all the best parts I can buy from the micro business that sell them, you must assume I know nothing, which I don't!

The skill to do the work is not in question, just the knowledge of the sourcing of the best parts. I had no idea you could buy whole noses for the 37/0. I assume they are cast in resin as a whole cut off and add on. That may have been easier than finding the model I did, could have saved some time and money?

Maybe a picture of the new parts before fitting as it 'seems' Shawplan's website assumes you don't need them?

Thanks for your help :-)