At least if the glue fails, the parts won't have distorted, and it will just be a case of sticking them back together again.

Back in my OO days building K's kits, I dropped an unpainted GWR mogul tender assembled with super glue.  It just fell to bits with no damage to the  parts apart from a slight dent where it  hit the floor, so easy to rebuild. No shear strength.

By contrast, my brother dropped a sweet running Rod Neep etched brass soldered chassis and it  stayed together, but  skewed the whole thing. Despite his best efforts, it  never ran as well again.  So plan for  the  worst, hope  for  the  best.

However, if it  was me, I'd still go for  soldering (plus super glue and  epoxy as appropriate).

Cheers,

Peter

Hope you don't mind me posting this, as I know yours is being built with skirts.

Anyone wishing to build their model without skirts, you should be aware that parts of the valvegear are missing.

I have been working with Laurie Griffin to remedy at least part of the problem.

These are the valve guides and valve rods that laurie has come up with. Please note, the alternate type of valve guide, the tapered ones, are already in his range.

post-13196-0-34104800-1505389561.jpgpost-13196-0-80862100-1505389567.jpg

I am still trying to get a drawing done so as to have the radius rods etched to give a 3-D appearance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not at all Jeff, good to know the parts are now out there for people that want to build it with skirts removed.

As I'm sure you can guess I didn't get any modelling done yesterday, however back to it today, so there should be an update later.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Another few magazines done, however I now find myself stuck due to not having a drill bit in the correct size!! But let's have a look at what I have got done.

Firstly issue 25 added the some sandboxes to the loco chassis:

post-22762-0-10688500-1505426098_thumb.jpg

Issue 26 added the final springs and horn blocks along with the start of the brake rigging:

post-22762-0-54954500-1505426146_thumb.jpg

Issue 27 added a mount inside the boiler section allowing it to be mounted on the chassis, this alone makes the loco look a lot bigger and more powerful:

post-22762-0-12349400-1505426219_thumb.jpg

It also added the double chimney to the front of the loco improving the signature look of the model:

post-22762-0-01970600-1505426263_thumb.jpg

I will hopefully get out to grab some more drill bits soon until then I am stuck for the next step.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your post.

You have come along just as I am getting ready to restart work as it happens. After my last post my workbench needed tidying away, and I then suffered a few minor health problems, hoever the workbench came back out last week and the Mallard is on it so expect an update soon.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys,

The health problems are nothing too serious, it is an old back injury that flares up a couple of times a year, this time was a lot worse than usual. It is one of those of those problems that unfortunately is going to get worse overtime, hopefully I have a good few years before it gets too bad though.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick update for everyone as I had planned on restarting this build.

Followers of my Oak Hill thread will have already seen that the back issues were just the start of my health problems!!

I have been suffering with some liver issues which are still cause unknown, they came to a head on Wednesday when I ended up taking a turn for the worse and being admitted to hospital! They were preparing me for surgery when they found they had got my diagnosis wrong!!! Which leaves me back at square one. Not knowing what is wrong once again.

This leaves me in pain most of the time and as Christmas is approaching I have taken the decision to take the workbench in the front room down until i start to recover and will focus on smaller tasks until then. So this project will have go on hold until I am well enough.

Thanks for looking, I hope to have something for you all soon,

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I am sorry to hear that you have taken a turn for the worse and I just hope you get well soon... I and other followers will look in from time to time even if it just to see how you are...

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.  :imsohappy:

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jeff,

Much appreciated,

Gary

Thank you for your ‘likes’ on my posts, Gary. I have just joined the forum and sorry to read in your thread that things are a bit tough for you just now? Hoping you will begin to feel a bit better soon.

Best wishes for 2018!

Marlyn

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marlyn,

No problem. I am looking forward to seeing how your Cakebox looks when finished!

Unfortunately my health issues are still ongoing. I am a medical mystery still, in fact having my latest tests today, although they will need to be done again as they didn't go well.

At the moment my workbench is away which has stopped me working on this project, although hopefully it will be up again this weekend. I have been working on my 00 gauge LBSCR and SECR things again in the meantime which can be found here.

Gary

• 11 months later...

The Hachette Mallard is a good basis for an A4 but works out very expensive.  I have used the body/nose/skirts and the frames - doubled up to produce a strong chassis.  If you want to run your model avoid the hachette wheels which are very poor.  The biggest saving can be made by buying an A4 corridor kit.  I eventually got one from William Ascough, Ace Products, but it took 4 months and I ended up having to launch a case in the county court against him to get it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Yes indeed an expensive way to get the kit, but I would never have been able to save up for a "proper" one, I'm not disciplined enough with money! I will have to have a think about the wheels, as this may well be just a display model when it gets finished.

As for this project, I have had one hell of a year, with my illness having only just been diagnosed about a month ago, and many other personal problems, however having been chatting with friends recently, this is now sitting on the workbench once more. So the kit will see more work soon!

Thanks for looking in,

Gary

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening Gary

As promised .... I have had a look in to your page to see if you have an update but more importantly how are you?......

I hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel with a prognosis as to your health issue...

Hope to hear from you soon....

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Jim,

Thanks for checking in, unfortunately I am still undiagnosed, however my symptoms are not as bad as they were.

Working in the mojo at the moment, hopefully it won't be long, I have this kit sat out where I can see it in the living room to try and get me working on it again

Gary

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Health wise, I feel OK, but never got a diagnoses, I was still being prodded and poked when Covid came along and everything got cancelled, nothing has happened post pandemic, but generally my heath has returned, so I have left the NHS alone rather than adding to its crisis trying to find what is going on under the hood.

As for the Mallard, I keep meaning to work on it, it's sat next to my workbench to remind me to do something with it every time I sit down, which is quite a lot these days actually.

My modelling skills have come on quite substantially (That's a bit of an understatement) since I last worked on it, so I have been planning on stripping it back to kit for and starting again with solder.

The biggest thing that really prevents work on it is that lockdown craziness made me give up my gainful employment, and I now find myself being a railway modeller full time, in fact I own a model shop in Eastbourne these days, quite different to when I was working in IT, or running a medium sized courier firm, but a change I'm very glad I made. It does however mean that after a day running the shop and repairing other peoples models, a lot of the time I get home and don't want to do any modelling for myself!

I have recently built myself a new display for my models in my living room, and have the perfect place for Mallard in in though, so hopefully not too long until it can perch proudly in place.

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 3