Teaky's attic

teaky

• RMweb Gold

Isoceles trapezoids, cuboids and wedgy bits.

The ceiling centre is now insulated.  This also creates a small air gap which connects the air gaps between all the rafters and allows full cross ventilation thereby preventing any moisture build up in the rafters which can lead to rot.  For now the PIR is held in place with a few nails and the aluminium tape but I will be cutting some timber battens which will go across the insulation and be screwed to the rafters.  These battens will then give something to screw into when fitting the plasterboard as well as acting as fixing points for lighting.

1423904857_ceiling_centre1.JPG.baff09064761c4e68dfbad84d47ce6d4.JPG

The sides of the steel beams are now filled as are the wedged shaped gaps at the point where the ceiling meets the eaves walls.

1399585923_wall_eaves1.JPG.cd386806c0325dbf9f9c4d00311961a7.JPG

At the right of the above photo you can just see a corner of the recessed access hatch for the eaves storage area.  It is simply a piece of 18mm plywood with a couple of knobs attached.  On the back I have glued some 100mm PIR and taped all the edges to seal things up.  I have fitted several magnetic catches around the perimeter and once everything is trimmed out with plasterboard and door stop I will add some foam draught excluder.

I'm pleased to say that I have managed to estimate things OK so far and I have a quarter of a sheet of 100mm PIR left over (roughly 1200 x 600mm).  Mind you, that's still about £12 worth.

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Does the loft feel warm? I know the plasterboard will add an extra layer, but you must be able to tell the difference between when you started & now.

It certainly does.  I remarked to Mrs Teaky earlier this evening that there was a noticeable difference today.  I think the key step has been the sealing in of the room with the apex and the gaps above the steel beams now plugged.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Next top tip...

Don't underestimate the amount of aluminium tape you need to seal all the joints!  Doh!

I've ordered some more and whilst I await delivery it will give me a chance to do some serious pruning in the garden before everything begins growing again and it is too late.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Right.  I gave the garden a good seeing to and a substantial proportion of the trees are now re-purposed as mulch.

The extra aluminium tape finally arrived on Saturday and has been put to good use.

Warning: a very unexciting photo posted below.  More of a 'spot the difference' really but for the record ...

1336844654_insulation_final1.JPG.d154769c2d39d860f5c0b87f73c5fecf.JPG

The final layer of PIR is now in place over the face of the rafters.  This is held on with a few large headed clout nails.  Full fixing will be achieved later when I do the plasterboard.

So that's all the insulation completed now.

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The plasterboard is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  I have just read through the delivery information and one of the points is "Don't eat in front of drivers.".  Is this because they are underfed and/or that tempting them with food can be dangerous?  I think I'd better keep a big stick handy tomorrow!

N.B. Before anyone says it, yes I realise it may be to reduce the risk related to nut alergies etc. and wouldn't be a laughing matter under those circumstances.

The plasterboard is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  I have just read through the delivery information and one of the points is "Don't eat in front of drivers.".  Is this because they are underfed and/or that tempting them with food can be dangerous?  I think I'd better keep a big stick handy tomorrow!

N.B. Before anyone says it, yes I realise it may be to reduce the risk related to nut alergies etc. and wouldn't be a laughing matter under those circumstances.

That's bizarre 

I can think of one thing but it may be a touchy subject. May be related to pork and certain religions? Not that I make a habit of standing around watching delivery drivers do their jobs while scoffing down a snack-sized pie but you never know.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just this minute got off the phone and delivery will be Monday not tomorrow.  I'm not too bothered really since the Six Nations is on and I'm not in a rush anyway.

• RMweb Gold

I've never seen or heard of this before. We get told regularly that the drivers won't help to offload or climb on the trailer.

I have to remind them that when on site they are bound by my rules, not theirs, as the responsibility stops at my door.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In case anyone is wondering, the plasterboard arrived on Monday and I have been busy carrying it first into the garage and then in batches up into the loft as I need it.  I'm glad I opted for the smaller size sheets (1.8 x 0.9m rather than 2.4 x 1.2m).  It makes them much easier to carry through doorways and loft hatches.

Oddly, it seems harder to fit plasterboard on a sloping ceiling than on a flat ceiling or wall, but I'm getting there.  So far I have done the ceiling and the boxed in flue.  The end walls will be next.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Ta dah!

1196579155_plasterboard_11.JPG.0735c966aa57cf984e39b1f98ded5845.JPG1570116091_plasterboard_21.JPG.58b48543fd25d27b75d9bc380da404d4.JPG

I now need to trim around the windows and eaves hatch.  I am also thinking of adding another layer to the central flat section at the apex because I'm not entirely happy with the straightness of the run from end to end.  Over all though I'm pleased with this so far.

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good Rob.  We don't always worry about the centre as the plasterer deals with it (we still skim) 

Thanks Dave.

What bothers me at the moment is that the width of the flat section varies quite a bit and is particularly noticeable at a couple of points.  I haven't experimented yet, but I'm hoping that a series of strips of exactly the same width running from end to end will even things up a little.  I am leaving it to last to see what I have left over.  Then I'm hoping the plasterer will be able to tidy up the transition from angled to horizontal which is where your comment comes in and reassures me enormously.

I am intending to install lighting at the apex, so my worry is that this will highlight any significant imperfections.  Anyway, I'll see what I can do once the windows are trimmed.

Trimming the apex won't be much work.  Just a few straight cuts and screw through into the battens already there beneath the existing layer of plasterboard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Will you be fitting 'tubes' in the apex?

I have purchased some LED ribbon which I am aiming to fit so that it casts light down the faces of the sloping ceiling.

This will only be for general lighting though.  The intention is to also have some layout lighting but I haven't yet crystalised my thinking on this yet other than where it will be powered from.

Additionally, for modelling I will be using simple task specific lighting e.g. a desk lamp.

• RMweb Gold

Idea: You could conceal the LED strips above the trim timber so that they just cast their light down the sloping ceiling surface without being directly visible and that would also disguise any slight variations in the plasterboard alignment.

Something like this:

post-32492-0-41503100-1519398602.png

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Idea: You could conceal the LED strips above the trim timber so that they just cast their light down the sloping ceiling surface without being directly visible and that would also disguise any slight variations in the plasterboard alignment.

Something like this:

attachicon.gifTeaky Apex.png

Have you been looking at the sketch on my desk?

That is exactly what I had in mind Phil.

• Like 2

And Phil beat me to it, a lot of my customers ( I'm an electrician ) have been going with variations on the led strip lighting.

It makes a 'smoother' light especially in kitchens and bathrooms, the drivers can be hidden almost anywhere.