THINGS

Thebigshot

• RMweb Premium

I see this (Revoluition's update for Tings, from the link above) closes with "We will also have exciting news of the first of our proposed projects for 2018 – come and see us on Stand 16.". Has anyone found out what this refers to?

John Storey

If that's so I missed it totally!

I'm sure Ben and Mike know what they're doing, especially based on their successes to date, but I am surprised if that's the choice as it seems much more "niche" than models to date. I look forward to learning more.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Apologies if you were trying to talk to us while we were deluged!

Unlike most of the models we propose, where we are pretty confident the market exists (though we were so wrong with the 21/29!!) we just don't know about the APT-E.

Pros: It is an iconic British train; it still looks like the future and it pioneered technologies and systems that revolutionised our railway and others around the world. It is also a relatively simple project in that Rapido have done all the hard work for the well-received 00 model and comprises just two vehicles. Also, Kit Spackman (Mr Tilt) wants one, as he's an N-gauge modeller.

Cons: Only one was ever made and it never made it into production. And unless you're modelling LMR or WR 1972-1976 (plus a trip to the NRM) then it is strictly a rule one model.

So.... taking this all on board we are "offering it up" for expressions of serious interest with no "end point" but a plan to contact people again if it reaches "critical mass" when we will want some commitment to get the project started.

So... if you do want one let us know. I will aim to get a proper thread started on this project asap, but in the run up to this weekend it was just too busy with late arrivals like the Pendolino and painted Class B tankers.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 4

Hello all,

Apologies if you were trying to talk to us while we were deluged!

Unlike most of the models we propose, where we are pretty confident the market exists (though we were so wrong with the 21/29!!) we just don't know about the APT-E.

Pros: It is an iconic British train; it still looks like the future and it pioneered technologies and systems that revolutionised our railway and others around the world. It is also a relatively simple project in that Rapido have done all the hard work for the well-received 00 model and comprises just two vehicles. Also, Kit Spackman (Mr Tilt) wants one, as he's an N-gauge modeller.

Cons: Only one was ever made and it never made it into production. And unless you're modelling LMR or WR 1972-1976 (plus a trip to the NRM) then it is strictly a rule one model.

So.... taking this all on board we are "offering it up" for expressions of serious interest with no "end point" but a plan to contact people again if it reaches "critical mass" when we will want some commitment to get the project started.

So... if you do want one let us know. I will aim to get a proper thread started on this project asap, but in the run up to this weekend it was just too busy with late arrivals like the Pendolino and painted Class B tankers.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

This is of interest to me but what is maybe going to be the issue is paying for it although at this stage I maybe able to put some cash aside although could you guys consider a payment plan or paying for it over 4 stages so that people that are on a low income can still get one and pay for it over several mounts

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan,

At this very early stage we haven't thought seriously about financing - we don't even have an accurate price.

But with our 92 and subsequent models we are offering a payment plan, and I am sure we will for the APT-E once we know it's go. We want to make it as easy as possible for people to order our models, and since we don't need all the cash up front we won't be asking your for it.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Hi Alan,

At this very early stage we haven't thought seriously about financing - we don't even have an accurate price.

But with our 92 and subsequent models we are offering a payment plan, and I am sure we will for the APT-E once we know it's go. We want to make it as easy as possible for people to order our models, and since we don't need all the cash up front we won't be asking your for it.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

Thanks for your reply I was thinking a head I know you guys normaly ask for 50% and was kinda thinking that an accurate price was £200 then £100 deposit mite be a bit much for people anyway I think time will tell when a more accurate price is given

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Can you please keep us updated as I'd be interested in what the number are as it seems to have hit prity high numbers on Facebook

We will put out some information when the expressions of interest has been running for a bit, but it will probably not be numbers but rough percentages of our target.  The point that we are trying to get across is that at the moment all we are trying to do is work out whether there is a big enough market to produce an APT-E in N - we hope so!

If anyone is seriously interested then please complete the expression of interest form at http://revolutiontrains.com/apt-e - the sooner the better as there is no benefit to waiting! No money is being asked for and realistically we won't be asking for any money for some considerable time!

Cheers, Mike

Edited by red death

Nice to see RevolutioN contemplating an APT-E in N gauge, sadly I personally find it ugly...but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I hope it's successful for RevolutioN and Rapido and so I wish you'll well.

Personally I would've preferred something like a Class 87, Class 90, Class 91/Mk4 coaches/Mk4 DVT or an APT-P.

Cheers!

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see RevolutioN contemplating an APT-E in N gauge, sadly I personally find it ugly...but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I hope it's successful for RevolutioN and Rapido and so I wish you'll well.

I think that you have to remember what it represented and put it into historical context - for its time it was something completely different on a whole load of different levels (technical and aesthetic).

Personally I would've preferred something like a Class 87, Class 90, Class 91/Mk4 coaches/Mk4 DVT or an APT-P.

Without wishing to create wishlists, the problem with the 87/90/91 is that existing models have already exist by Farish and although they could do with bringing up to modern standards it is a heck of a risk to compete with Farish (and Revolution is not about competing with Farish or Dapol (or DJM or anyone else for that matter) but about filling gaps to hopefully grow the N gauge market (and the OO market to a lesser extent!)).

On a personal level I would rather have an APT-P but we also have to be pragmatic and respond to customer requests for us to investigate scaling down the excellent Rapido APT-E.  The APT-P is something completely different and would require much more research and tooling.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 2

Cheers!

Ugly? Ugly? Ugly?  :swoon:

I think that you have to remember what it represented and put it into historical context - for its time it was something completely different on a whole load of different levels (technical and aesthetic).

Without wishing to create wishlists, the problem with the 87/90/91 is that existing models have already exist by Farish and although they could do with bringing up to modern standards it is a heck of a risk to compete with Farish (and Revolution is not about competing with Farish or Dapol (or DJM or anyone else for that matter) but about filling gaps to hopefully grow the N gauge market (and the OO market to a lesser extent!)).

On a personal level I would rather have an APT-P but we also have to be pragmatic and respond to customer requests for us to investigate scaling down the excellent Rapido APT-E.  The APT-P is something completely different and would require much more research and tooling.

Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike

I don't want to be negative in what you have said. so please forgive me for sounding rude here but surly you are competing with all the other company's out there altogeth your doing a better job than at leas 2 company's that you mentioned and I believe one of them are going down the O gauge rote so I would have though that only leaves Farish as the big player

Thanks

Alan

P.s I am greatful that you guys are actually doing some of the models as I can't see anyone else doing them any time soon

If you could do an unpainted one that I can spray in Renault Brooklands Green with GWR logos I'd have one like a shot..

..seriously, a very interesting proposition. The ultimate 'Rule 1 Toy'.. no further justification needed. I'm becoming a serious admirer of the whole RevolutioN concept, before too long I hope to add to my 1x order for a tank wagon!

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd add this to the thread as after a bit of confusion......I managed to get the Kings Park Crew to collaborate with RevolutioN and this was the end result....

post-18825-0-65432600-1505216353_thumb.jpg

It was really good to see the smiles on the faces of Ben, Mike and Paul as the Pendo made it's way beneath the wires, and whilst it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, it appeared to go down very well.

Roll on November! 

• Like 4

The advantage of being a prototype is that while its historical movements are well known, it is not unrealistic for it to turn up almost anywhere on test. ;)