Rails Limited - Exclusive Edition Class Q1

Oliver Rails

Guest Midland Mole

Very nice, and reasonably priced. I can see these selling well.

If I wasn't waiting for the Southern liveried one I would be tempted.

Alex

Hello peeps!

Thought I'd drop in on the Rails conversation about this mouth watering model of the Q1 and see how everyone was doing.

I think they are being unpackaged at Rails as I type and those who have ordered will be getting them pretty soon. Woohoo!

If you haven't bought one yet... WHY NOT?? It's only £109.95 and look what you get for your money!

You can't pass this one up! Dust the cobwebs from the plastic and get on the dog and bone to order or you won't get one and then you will be sorely disappointed

Otherwise, I hope you are all in fine fettle

Cheers

Sandra (who used to be at another model outlet in case you have forgotten me already!)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Now why would we forget ? I have been tempted yet again,Sandra. A well-aired anecdote about the Q1 relates to its unveiling to assembled worthies and fellow locomotive engineers which referred to its unusual austere appearance ( it was wartime ) and some  mysterious "holes" in its structure.One of OVB's colleagues is reported to have asked.." Oliver,where do you put the key ? " Strange coincidence that we now have another Oliver in the frame :scratchhead: Cheers.Good to hear from you again. Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Apart from its usual duties as a freight loco,it was often used to haul holiday extra passenger trains to and from the South Coast.e.g taking over trains from Cardiff to Portsmouth and Bournemouth at Salisbury on summer Saturdays.A powerful and capable machine it certainly was.No comparisons with the Q6....,if you please.

• RMweb Gold

The Q1 was more than powerful enough to get to its destination unaided; the problem was stopping when it got there.

Paul

Well, actually.....

Some time in, I think, the '50s, a Q1was on an excursion on the Horsham-Guildford line. Number of coaches not known, but the train climbed up the bank into Baynards Tunnel on a slippery rail, and emerged at the same portal some little while later still in forward gear but now going backwards.

Still, as Flying Scotsman has demonstrated very recently, it can happen to anyone.

• RMweb Gold

I'm in the non lit camp here , whilst I can understand people wanting lit coaches I'm sure there's a large group who aren't interested in lighting .

For me I have over 20 on pre order and will be ordering another 8 when the hst trailers appear. If as someone above stated it could possibly add maybe another £10 per coach to have lighting it becomes a large amount of extra cash for a feature I don't require.

I wonder whether Oxford could maybe go the route Hornby took with the lighting in their mk2e coaches and have some fitted lighting and some without.

It would be a shame to have to reconsider quantities due to a large price increase.

Just my thoughts

Paul.

It's here.I know it's not a new tool, but it's a nice release non the less, and my collection of NRM prototypes is growing.

post-20773-0-09989400-1505487573_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-68648600-1505487584_thumb.jpg

Is it me or is it unusual to see Hornby fitting the front end detail, rather than leaving it to the buyer ?

post-20773-0-32792000-1505487596_thumb.jpg

Parts bag of headcodes and lamps.

post-20773-0-44033400-1505487710_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice to see the Q1 again but I do think it is about time Hornby changed the discs and lamps. These have been around since the 80s and fall far behind what Bachmann and Kernow offer.

Hesitating over this one as I built 33001 from a South Eastern Finecast kit 20+ years ago, which does not look out of place next to its Hornby cousins (it is also more powerful, equal to a Bachmann Nelson class with smoke generator too).

post-15098-0-88429200-1505511827_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 6

Inspired prototype choice by Rails, but I would have thought the preserved example (which many of us have been waiting years for) could have sold more than 250! However this low batch capability does bode well for other preserved niche models like a Heritage 09 (NRM, Bluebell, SVR), or 'Southern' green Brighton depot shunter

One comment/question on the Q1 - why the use of the smokebox door with the reinforcing ring round it? The later non-reinforced smokebox is the correct one for 33001, both preserved and in its final years in service. Given the lack of AWS equipment, is this model representing the loco in an earlier condition with BR? In which case when did she get the later smokebox arrangement, and how does this tally with BR late crest application and AWS fitting?

Or has someone in the Hornby's subcontracted factory not been giving due attention to detail (yet again...)??? 33032 (the other Hornby BR Q1) also has the reinforced smokebox, so has the tooling for the later type been lost? Or did rails have to compromise on the same body moulding as the main range model?

Sorry for the wet blanket, but we know Hornby CAN do this right, and have had the tooling in their inventory, but they haven't done it..., and not for the first time, especially with a preserved model (e.g. Castle 5043 (cab) and 4073 (running plate) and Great Gathering (numerous) mistakes). I'm curious why the decisions was made to use the parts that have been presented, if Rails care to comment.

This is certainly making me hold off the 'order' button...

I was wondering the same as I want a couple of the later variants with lubricator, as 33032 had one from new, so should be fitted.

But there hasn't been any photographs of them in the wild yet, even though some places apparently have them in stock. They are still showing Hornby's artwork which doesn't have a lubricator..

I would rather let someone who wants 33001 have the Ltd edition as mine will be getting renumbered and weathered anyway.

Jason

I picked mine up yesterday. Unfortunately not able to run it for another couple of weeks, but it looks fantastic on display. Having bought a Q1 from the first batch (2003?) when that level of fragile detail was a new concept, its very nice to now own a Q1 with all the detail still attached! I don't really have a need for a second Q1 but had been toying with the idea of getting one of the new batch. Adding to my Bluebell collection gave me the perfect excuse, so the announcement came at the perfect time. 

A great move from Rails. It has sold very well, and will hopefully prove to be a prelude for further Hornby commissions. I've said before that I'm baffled by the gaps left by Hornby when it comes to preserved locomotives and its taken well over a decade and a special commission from a retailer to finally produce the preserved example of this particular class. In my view, it was a no brainer.

Great service from the chaps in the shop, a friendly and warm atmosphere that has come on leaps and bounds from my first experience of the shop 8 or 9 years ago.

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform

If anyone was wondering, whilst 33001 tended to either run at the Bluebell with early emblem (of varying size) or in Southern livery as C1, I have found one single picture of 33001 with late crest at the 2000 Branch Line weekend, so this model can be said to represent the loco as preserved. If anyone can shed any light as to how long the loco was in this condition, it would be much appreciated!

If anyone was wondering, whilst 33001 tended to either run at the Bluebell with early emblem (of varying size) or in Southern livery as C1, I have found one single picture of 33001 with late crest at the 2000 Branch Line weekend, so this model can be said to represent the loco as preserved. If anyone can shed any light as to how long the loco was in this condition, it would be much appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjSFcuqFE4I

Doing a bit of browsing on youtube I have found this video which at 3.35 in, it clearly shows 33001 running with the late crest. Unfortunately though there is no date and I have no account on youtube to contact the uploader of the video, but more evidence that it did run with the late emblem in preservation!

• Like 1