Wanderings around the Midlands

• RMweb Gold

Only one photo from me tonight 350368 at Northampton about to work 1Y85 the 2156 Northampton to Crewe service via Coventry and New St.

So much for being spare today as I copped a New St turn and it was non stop except my bare minimum PnB.

post-7076-0-23530900-1508454764_thumb.jpg

Edited by CovDriver
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Geoff I thought I had the phone the right way up to keep the pic right but the phone must be throwing a hissy fit.

Cheers

Colin

Had to Colin as Northampton (Castle) was my home town station, not that I live there now, 14 miles up the road on the Midland Main Line now. In fact I haven't been on the station since it was rebuilt again. I much preferred the original.

Geoff

What routes do you sign being Coventry based.

Apart from the Nuneaton service, so few trains seems to originate at Coventry nowadays, how many of you are there.

Late evenings, I occasionally used to see the Nuneaton class 153 returning empty for servicing, presumably to Tyseley, does it still do so.

Do you still have to duck when passing through Willenhall, as one driver once claimed to me. The local scroats being renowned for using the trains as target practice not excluding, on one notorious occasion, with a rifle.

Arriving there from London, on a fast loco-hauled electric, it was quite often the routine to waste five minutes in Coventry, waiting time, those trains always seemed to have five minutes to spare on the schedule and nowhere to stop for wasting it.

Don't do it so much anymore and, when I do, the delights of LM up (via Nuneaton) and Chiltern down, with loco haulage, always seem to draw me away and increasingly International is getting to be a bit of a pain to get to with all the traffic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What routes do you sign being Coventry based.

Apart from the Nuneaton service, so few trains seems to originate at Coventry nowadays, how many of you are there.

Late evenings, I occasionally used to see the Nuneaton class 153 returning empty for servicing, presumably to Tyseley, does it still do so.

Do you still have to duck when passing through Willenhall, as one driver once claimed to me. The local scroats being renowned for using the trains as target practice not excluding, on one notorious occasion, with a rifle.

Arriving there from London, on a fast loco-hauled electric, it was quite often the routine to waste five minutes in Coventry, waiting time, those trains always seemed to have five minutes to spare on the schedule and nowhere to stop for wasting it.

Don't do it so much anymore and, when I do, the delights of LM up (via Nuneaton) and Chiltern down, with loco haulage, always seem to draw me away and increasingly International is getting to be a bit of a pain to get to with all the traffic.

Thanks for your comments I currently sign Wolverhampton to New St, New St to Walsall (via Witton), Redditch to Lichfield TV and of course New St to Northampton.

And as for Willenhall yes that can still be a problem with the kids thinking it's a playground I've had a near miss coming past there doing 110mph a while back.

And I don't sign the Coventry-Nuneaton branch at the moment as that's for link 1 drivers only but with the franchise changeover and Leamington Spa branch happening in the very near future that could change.

I can sometimes get a good run from Rugby to Coventry and be waiting at Coventry for upto 4mins for a right time departure.

Cheers 

Colin 

Edited by CovDriver
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The flats on the down side at Willenhall have always been known to Rugby men as 'shooter's alley', many's the tale of AM10 Drivers and Guards reporting air rifle activity from the balconies as they pass by!

Tell me that now!!

I had to trundle through there twice last night at 30mph with a test train!

• RMweb Gold

And Stechford is twinned with Beirut,The most outrageous thing I've seen by the flats at Willenhall had to be a trail bike speeding along the down line. But what topped that off was some kids literally hanging off the signal by the flats on the up line.

I've had three outer skins shattered by air rifle pellets on a 350 the week I became qualified.

Oh it's a joy running the gauntlet along bomb alley.

Cheers

Colin

Edited by CovDriver

There used to be a golf course alongside the Coventry line where BHX now is.

The class 310s and 304s that frequented the line were occasionally hit by stray shots.

I actually played there, before it closed, the first hole par 3 was overlooked by one of the local stations (can't remember which one) but it often meant your best hacker golfing skills were treated to an audience of waiting passengers and a golden opportunity to embarrass yourself.

I lined up, poked and hoped, and, more by luck than judgement, actually hit a rather good shot that landed straight on the green.

My mate lined up and also hit what looked like a rather good shot but it began to fade, so much so, it was almost coming back, swerving widely to the right, the next thing we knew all the passengers were ducking, we reckon it must have landed square between the platforms.

I thought, "So that's how it happens" I had never seen a golf ball behave like a boomerang before, he didn't bother asking for his ball back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There used to be a golf course alongside the Coventry line where BHX now is.

The class 310s and 304s that frequented the line were occasionally hit by stray shots.

I actually played there, before it closed, the first hole par 3 was overlooked by one of the local stations (can't remember which one) but it often meant your best hacker golfing skills were treated to an audience of waiting passengers and a golden opportunity to embarrass yourself.

I lined up, poked and hoped, and, more by luck than judgement, actually hit a rather good shot that landed straight on the green.

My mate lined up and also hit what looked like a rather good shot but it began to fade, so much so, it was almost coming back, swerving widely to the right, the next thing we knew all the passengers were ducking, we reckon it must have landed square between the platforms.

I thought, "So that's how it happens" I had never seen a golf ball behave like a boomerang before, he didn't bother asking for his ball back.

Marston Green. There was a derailment there in 1963 when at least one wagon ended up on the golf course.

Many thanks Geoff I don't know what it is I take the pics on my mobile and it was the right way up but it still uploads my pic being rotated the wrong way.

Cheers

Are you uploading straight from the phone? It may be that what you think is the right way isn't to the phone software and it rotates the image after it has saved it without you knowing about it.

Then when you upload the photo, the forum software is likely ignoring that rotation.

Try uploading a photo'wrong' way and see if it does the same?

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Geoff I don't know what it is I take the pics on my mobile and it was the right way up but it still uploads my pic being rotated the wrong way.

Cheers

I believe it is something to do with the way the RMweb system handles the data from phone pictures. It is a simple job to rotate them once I have grabbed them and dropped them into Photos on my mac and then I can repost them on RMweb.

My pleasure.

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

Right these pics are from my new little compact Cannon camera let's see what happens 

This is 350250 waiting for yet another late departure from Wolverhampton this morning 2A07 07:50 Wolverhampton to Walsall service 

post-7076-0-77693400-1510090730_thumb.jpg 

Here's the view from the office window it's not very often I get a red here at SY25 signal but as the slippy season is upon us i was held up here for about 5mins or so with some delays on the cross city near Longbridge.

post-7076-0-89943800-1510090758_thumb.jpg

The culprit in the reversal sidings at Longbridge ah well time for a cuppa 

post-7076-0-41534800-1510090783_thumb.jpg

From earlier this morning whilst waiting for another late departure this thing came through I absolutley hate following these as it's a nightmare trying to gain traction and worse of all trying to stop.

post-7076-0-71719000-1510090826_thumb.jpg

My last one from today a semi fast service from Lichfield City to Redditch 2R45 12:47 departure which I took as far as New St it feel so odd running express from Sutton Coldfield to New St 

post-7076-0-37008100-1510090858_thumb.jpg

Edited by CovDriver
  • Like 5