Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Livery samples look good, and the bulge under the boiler doesn't look too bad. 

I do wonder if the tank handrails are fitted a tad too high on the tank top, what do others think? Comparing with prototype photos it looks like they're lower to the radius.

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

• RMweb Gold

These look brilliant, considering the images are 3x the size of the real model you still can’t see the motor gear block, to me it’s a non issue.

I went through my images of Burnley no1, but non were in blue, they are either filthy or preserved NWGB green. That said i’m sure in the archives of the “Bury Transport museum journal” from the late 70’s there is an image as such in Blue.

I’ve got a few of these on order, definitely a good choice.

Maybe after the first batch, a crane tank body could be added to the chassis ?

"As always, we'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback."

My only thought is you're a very bad man! I'd only ordered one and now I want four of the little b****** ;)

There, there, Paul! Take two Valiums and go to bed. It will all be better in the morning. ;)   :jester: 

p.s. I know what you mean. I've ordered one but the rest all look so tempting. 

It is nice to see the cab variations as well as the liveries, in the flesh now. They do look good.

• RMweb Gold

Why have they all got holes for the fitting of vacuum pipes when I can't remember any of them being so fitted?

I'm guessing these are livery samples, so it is not the details that are correct - the factory has simply taken a dozen copies of one type and give it the 10 different liveries. 

(And the ones in preservation, eg the GWR, BR and CR liveries most certainly ARE fitted with vac pipes)

• Like 1

What happened to the "two different cab front windows"? As far as I can see, all twelve have the same front windows, even so the low tank versions definitely need their windows to be quite a bit lower.

And also, will the wheel middles be painted on the finished models (that also applies to the P-Class)?

Otherwise quite tempting looking models!

Manuel

Very tempting, I've altered my order to go with the Burnley Corporation Gas Works as the sample shows a better fit for an Aberdeen Gasworks conversion. Fitting side-skirts shouldn't be a problem but altering the rear of the cab is going to be interesting. The Aberdeen one had a rectangular opening in the middle - presumably to improve access to the firebox. The brake standard obviously got in the way of this but at least one photie shows it detached and slung on the side of the cab until deeded. Do I have the courage...? 

• RMweb Gold

What happened to the "two different cab front windows"? As far as I can see, all twelve have the same front windows, even so the low tank versions definitely need their windows to be quite a bit lower.

And also, will the wheel middles be painted on the finished models (that also applies to the P-Class)?

Manuel

Please read my post earlier. These are LIVERY SAMPLES. The factory has taken one variant and applied the different liveries so that the customer (Hattons) can approve the liveries. The actual detail differences are not being approved by these.

Please read my post earlier. These are LIVERY SAMPLES. The factory has taken one variant and applied the different liveries so that the customer (Hattons) can approve the liveries. The actual detail differences are not being approved by these.

To be fair to Manuel there are a few variants shown, all with round front windows, ie; open backed, oval windows, round windows and square windows, so it can be a bit confusing at first glance.

• RMweb Gold

They all look absolutely gorgeous.

The motor block issue has faded into relative insignificance, now that the actual liveries are applied, as the eye is drawn to the livery itself.

One thing I have noticed, in the spirit of constructive criticism, is that on the versions with the solid cab back, there seems to be a large 'lump' of glazing material inside the cab. By the relatively open nature of these cabs, this is rather visible.

If this is how the glazing on the production versions has to be achieved, then fine, but I would hope that this would lead to an opening for one of the flush glazing providers to do something that just slots nicely into the rear cab sheet itself. It would probably have to be just a push fit, but that would be fine.

Dave of Hattons has already said that the insignia should be easy enough to remove, for those of us who want to use the lovely base liveries for our own, fictitious industrial concern.

• Like 1

I appreciate that specifically designing Gauge conversion into these models would be economically problematic but I do hope it's something that will be possible without too much heartache.

Other than that, these are a model I am very much looking forward to.

D.

What happened to the "two different cab front windows"? As far as I can see, all twelve have the same front windows, even so the low tank versions definitely need their windows to be quite a bit lower.

Manuel

Dave does seem to suggest that there will at least be no 16” with square front windows in this batch....

Hi all,

That's correct, there won't be a 16" version with square cab windows in this batch. We do still have the option within the tooling suite for versions with square windows in future though, if you have any suggestions then we'd love to hear them. You can email them over directly to ideas@hattons.co.uk

I've amended the detail matrix and product list in the first post of this thread for clarity.

Cheers,

Dave

Guess we need to find some suitable prototypes

Dave of Hattons has already said that the insignia should be easy enough to remove, for those of us who want to use the lovely base liveries for our own, fictitious industrial concern.

Thank you for that, I'm going to need to remove the lettering from my intended so that's very comforting to know

• RMweb Gold

These look brilliant, considering the images are 3x the size of the real model you still can’t see the motor gear block, to me it’s a non issue.

I went through my images of Burnley no1, but non were in blue, they are either filthy or preserved NWGB green. That said i’m sure in the archives of the “Bury Transport museum journal” from the late 70’s there is an image as such in Blue.

I’ve got a few of these on order, definitely a good choice.

Maybe after the first batch, a crane tank body could be added to the chassis ?

Unfortunately it wouldn't be viable to modify our current tooling to be able to represent a crane tank. The chassis shape inside the body is made to fit the current tank configuration and would require significant modification to create the crane tank version.

Why have they all got holes for the fitting of vacuum pipes when I can't remember any of them being so fitted?

Having versions with and without holes for the vac pipes would mean another chassis tooling including running boards as this is all one piece. We've stayed as true to each prototype as possible whilst trying to keep the price reasonable.

Maroon seems like an odd choice of word by Hattons to describe the colour being represented, as in the photos I've seen of the real thing in this livery it's just red. Really red!

We've described the colour in the same way that the owner has. We do agree that it is more red than maroon.

Manuel

The middle wheels have been noted and will be painted on the production models, this also applies to the P Class as well.

As has been mentioned, following the change of NCB No.23 to No. 6, there's not currently a model featuring the square front windows.

If you know of any suitable prototypes then you're more than welcome to send them over to us via email using ideas@hattons.co.uk

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts and feedback so far, already looking forward to sharing more progress once we receive more samples.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just a note BGCD No1 as preserved has a 26D shed plate attached.

AFAIK The then Bury Transport Museum acquired a number of these from Bury Depot, and I remember MSC 32,70, NWGB1, MEA no1 , 945, Planet and Simplex all wore them in the 70’s/80’s at some stage before largely disappearing again.

Edited by adb968008