Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

After some pub discussions about the relative frame length of prototype 14" and 16" Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tanks following the publication of this drawing it shows that the 16" AB at 21'1 " is 17 inches longer the the 14" straight cab AB with a frame length of 19' 8".

So a question to one of those that has managed been lucky enough get their hands on an examples of both 14 and 16 " model AB's in advance of the general release.

Is the 16 inch Hatton's model almost a full 6mm longer than the 14 inch version or is the dimensioned drawing incorrect?

TIA 

P

(

Edited to correct f for r)

Edited by Porcy Mane

Tasty, very tasty, but it really does need a crew in that open cab - or a big face on the smokebox door  :jester:

Yeah, got to get around to painting the crew at some point  :paint:

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

After some pub discussions about the relative frame length of prototype 14" and 16" Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tanks following the publication of this drawing it shows that the 16" AB at 21'1 " is 17 inches longer the the 14" straight cab AB with a frame length of 19' 8".

So a question to one of those that has managed been lucky enough get their hands on an examples of both 14 and 16 " model AB's in advance of the general release.

Is the 16 inch Hatton's model almost a full 6mm longer than the 14 inch version or is the dimensioned drawing incorrect?

TIA 

P

(

Edited to correct f for r)

Looking at the images of both types on the Hattons site, it would appear not - it seems that both types are the same length over buffer beams (using the track and steel ruler included in the pictures as reference points). 

Earlier in the thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126141-andrew-barclay-14-16-0-4-0st-in-oo-gauge/?p=2861576 Hatton's Dave shows the length over chassis (labelled as 16" but clearly the 14" version because the springs are level with one another; the 16" has the front one mounted lower) as 81mm.

The images in this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126141-andrew-barclay-14-16-0-4-0st-in-oo-gauge/?p=2853005 would seem to confirm that. This leaves me with a bit of a quandary. I've pre-ordered a 16" but if it's not the right length then I want to know where the additional length has been lost if at all possible. My suspicion is off the cab length because the cab on the 14" and 16" seems to be the same moulding and the footplate which - since I'll be replacing the chassis - doesn't bother me, but if the tank has been made too short I'll change to a 14" since I want a Barclay but an accurate one and lengthening the tank would be a complete faff...

Adam

Edited by Adam

The review in the April Model Rail gives the length over buffers as 92mm for the 14" and 94.5mm for the 16".

Thanks, that's helpful (and possibly reassuring). Proper drawings, that's what I need, at this point...

Adam

I’ve been admiring these engines from afar and while they look fantastic, I have two queries about them. With the exception of the GWR and CR versions, do any date from before 1947? My layout is entirely pre-nationalisation so all the NCB or other state owned industries wouldn’t be right. Also, do any AB enthusiasts know if any of the Devonport Dockyard ABs were the 14” or 16” variety? I looked in my bible on the matter, Paul Burkhalter’s otherwise exhaustive book on the railway, but couldn’t get confirmation. It would be great to have one in their smart maroon livery with my collection of Wessex Wagons’s naval wagons

All of them date from before 1947 with the oldest being built in 1926.

However they are all in either preserved or post 1947 liveries. The GWR and Caledonian versions are preserved examples I'm afraid.

Jason

All of them date from before 1947 with the oldest being built in 1926.

However they are all in either preserved or post 1947 liveries. The GWR and Caledonian versions are preserved examples I'm afraid.

Jason

Might appear to be splitting hairs but the one I am intending to model AB2247 is listed on the web as 1948. 

Might appear to be splitting hairs but the one I am intending to model AB2247 is listed on the web as 1948. 

Which one is 2247?

The highest number Hattons are making is 2244. I was answering a question on which of them are suitable for a pre 1947 railway.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

It was nice to look in Hattons showcase at Ally Pally and see that Katie is a deal darker than it appears in most of the published photos so far.

That was my only reservation about ordering the red one.  The darker shade is distinctly less toy-like than it sometimes appears in pics.

Assuming the Barclay arrives in a suitable gap in my other expenditure (B4, P, other odds and somethings) I can see at least one of the others displayed in said cabinet joining it.

I might yet get a Backworth WD but I do have rather a lot of WDs already.....

Les

That was my only reservation about ordering the red one.  The darker shade is distinctly less toy-like than it sometimes appears in pics.

The strong directional side light in the video in post #758 (at 1' 46") shows the rear cab screen to be highly translucent. Makes me wonder if it is painted at all or just pre coloured plastic?

P

The strong directional side light in the video in post #758 (at 1' 46") shows the rear cab screen to be highly translucent. Makes me wonder if it is painted at all or just pre coloured plastic?

P

It was nice to look in Hattons showcase at Ally Pally and see that Katie is a deal darker than it appears in most of the published photos so far.

Les

It's a question I was thinking when I received the model, but from what I can gather it is painted.

I think the tone of the red suffers some the same issue that the Hornby Red Sentinels have, had so much trouble when first photographing and filming my little ESSO Red one, looked almost pink on camera. Like the Sentinel, it seems to me most noticeable around the thinner parts of the model, like the cab. Though when looking at the model in the flesh it is not at all noticeable. 

Hopefully my pictures from post #656 might be of help

Under Starters Orders...

Well, maybe not. I can hear the sighs and see the drooping shoulders.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=186

"Delivery Update"

05/04/2018

We have been informed by our freight forwarders that the container with our Andrew Barclay locos in is currently just off France and due to dock in the next few days.  This is a few days later than expected. Due to this we now expect to start the despatch of the locomotives on Monday 16th April."

Rough passage through the Bay of Biscay?

Well this will allow the bank account to be happy for a little bit longer!  It is going to be a few big days for Hatton's to unpack, repack, label and post. Then Katie and friends will be flinging themselves all over the world! I know I have a lovely little Katie heading in my direction. So there will be new colonies of Barclays all over the world! (Not all named Katie!) 

• Like 3

Considering the time from announcement to delivery is only months its not been that long we have had to wait.

Just think how long we are waiting for Bachmann to deliver even Hornby seem to be taking less time !

Its just that shorter announcement to delivery times leaves less time to find  the available funds especially as production runs seem to be shorter, the risk of  of not getting the item is more unless your prepared to pay more for a second hand item (supply demand effect on price ).

Edited by johnd

Considering the time from announcement to delivery is only months its not been that long we have had to wait.

Just think how long we are waiting for Bachmann to deliver even Hornby seem to be taking less time !

Absolutely, I've lost track of how many years i've been waiting for Bachmann to finish the class 24/1! 

Paul. 

• Like 1

Under Starters Orders...

Well, maybe not. I can hear the sighs and see the drooping shoulders.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=186

"Delivery Update"

05/04/2018

We have been informed by our freight forwarders that the container with our Andrew Barclay locos in is currently just off France and due to dock in the next few days.  This is a few days later than expected. Due to this we now expect to start the despatch of the locomotives on Monday 16th April."

Rough passage through the Bay of Biscay?

Not just that, the update sounds like the container has made the journey on its own!

Whats happened to the ship?

:jester: