Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Does the real (fake) 705 have correct sized numberplates though, comparing photos of it with 813 is does seem to be there is a greater spacing between the sides of the number and the edge of the numberplate on 705  whereas given the numerals involved you would expect that to be more likely on 813

Im converting 705 back to 701 as a Swansea Harbour Trust loco. How did you remove the tampo printing as I was planning my usual micrsol and scotch tape method. I looked at the link but could only see about chattering wheels. My new plates are on order which is giving me an excuse to avoid taking the removal plunge but eventually i’ll Gave to be brave.

1148 and following.

Im converting 705 back to 701 as a Swansea Harbour Trust loco. How did you remove the tampo printing as I was planning my usual micrsol and scotch tape method. I looked at the link but could only see about chattering wheels. My new plates are on order which is giving me an excuse to avoid taking the removal plunge but eventually i’ll Gave to be brave.

Well I took the plunge this morning and found removal fairly simple. The number plate printing and shirtbutton were first applied with Microsol and the gold was an easy removal. The number plate black was more stubborn and needed a few gos to remove and I did resort to T-cut to lift the final remnants. No damage to the green beneath whatsoever. New Great Western lettering applied and just waiting for the Narrow Planet plates to arrive.

As a side note there are two sizes of Andrew Barclay works plate - which I was unaware of, and for 701 it looks like she wore a large plate in GW days.

The link was only to illustrate a loco devoid of printing. Removed using a blunt scraper following a 10 minute soak with microsol to soften the tampo.

And before anybody asks, the "Kevin" text was Powsides rub-ons but I have found that unless sealed immediately Powsides rub-on's tend to distort & disintegrate without human intervention over a few days.

I've also found that Powsides transfers don't seem to store very well. I had about half a dozen of them break up in the packaging.

I now only buy them when needed and use them straight away.

Jason

My conversion to EM gauge is complete now and has been working on the layout at the Perth show today

https://kirkmellington.wordpress.com/2018/06/23/hattons-barclay/

There are several others in 00 working at the show. It’s certainly a popukar model.

I saw some for sale as well, worryingly the solid backed cabs showed signs of bending too.

• RMweb Gold

I replaced the handrails with wire and turned brass knobs sourced on eBay and he change in appearance is dramatic, I am now reluctant to paint them.

It was an easy job and even I managed with out messing the loco up.

I used to build 009 locos before returning to OO so luckily I have loads of handrail knobs and brass wire spare

Do you have any photos of your loco with the handrail upgrade?

What I used to do with handrail painting was to drill holes in a scrap piece of plasticard at the correct handrail knob centres, then assemble and paint the handrail whilst on the plasticard. then once dry remove from the plasticard and attach the whole painted assembly to the loco in one go

post-34603-0-75748400-1530312145_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not a happy bunny!

I’ve had to return my first one because of running issues

The replacement has arrived today and there’s paint missing in multiple areas, scuffed in others

Hattons have obviously agreed to have it back so can’t fault them for their customer service but still disappointed

Undecided whether or not to go for a third

Edited by chuffinghell

Not a happy bunny!

I’ve had to return my first one because of running issues

The replacement has arrived today and there’s paint missing in multiple areas, scuffed in others

Hattons have obviously agreed to have it back so can’t fault them for their customer service but still disappointed

Undecided whether or not to go for a third

Chuffing Hell !!

For someone with six posts, you seem to be having a lot of bad luck in a short time!!!

Two Barclays and two Dean Goods?

Perhaps you may have more luck with model aircraft?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Chuffing Hell !!

For someone with six posts, you seem to be having a lot of bad luck in a short time!!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I didn’t realise there was a certain number of posts that have to be made before posting about problems

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I imagine some of you would think it’s petty to return it for this

Yes.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I didn’t realise there was a certain number of posts that have to be made before posting about problems

Of course not - we look forward to numerous positive postings.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about that, have you spoken to Hattons? Were they both 705s?

Yeah, both 705’s the first one’s finish was perfect but it had running issues even after running in

I ordered a second one at the same time as returning the first because I’m was too impatient to wait

I’ve spoken to Hattons and they have said to return it for a refund or replacement.

Can’t fault Hattons, they’ve always been really good.

Edited by chuffinghell

Chuffing Hell !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Or does it speak volumes about QC from manufacturers or lack of it ???? Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Of course not - we look forward to numerous positive postings.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Just to show that Mr hell is not just here to complain

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134818-skarloey/&do=findComment&comment=3216703

Edited by Nile

• RMweb Gold

It does look like I was only here to complain but that’s not the case

I’d been directed to this site following a google search on the issues I’d been having so they were at the forefront of my mind

Apologies if I’ve come across as a serial complainer